Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    The University of Edinburgh: Competition is just so tough here, yet I know I must apply as have fallen in love with the city and would regret it if I didn't take the chance. I'm most worried about how my UKCAT and Personal Statement will fare under their scrutiny, I so wish Edinburgh interviewed!

I am really happy with my choices: I just love the location of each and every choice, and I think their course structures will really suit me. I think I'm just generally worried about the lottery-esque quality of medicine applcations, I've done my best and I know that's all I can do, but the question is, is will is be good enough?
    Your UKCAT score is fine, stop worrying. Even places like Newcastle which rank candidates will surely not have a cut-off above 690 Ave. I'm re-considering Soton right now though :p:

ReputationRep:
    can unis see ur AS grades even if u dont declare them?? the way cambridge tends to do things...

and is it impossible to decline results this year as my exams officer claims??

any evidence for either claim is welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Hmm I feel pretty bad right now. I've just been looking back at previous threads on the Medicine forum here on TSR and it seems that loads of ideal applicants have been rejected from all of my choices without interview. Some guy got 740 in their UKCAT and was rejected from King's without interview despite getting AAAA and a set of good GCSEs. I came across someone who met SGUL's requirements for interview and guess what? They didn't even get it. I really have no idea how I'm going to get through the next couple of months without worrying every single bloody minute. :p:
    That's highly unlikely, because at their open day they said that applicants who meet the minimum entry requirements are guaranteed an interview. Stop worrying:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    The University of Edinburgh: Competition is just so tough here, yet I know I must apply as have fallen in love with the city and would regret it if I didn't take the chance. I'm most worried about how my UKCAT and Personal Statement will fare under their scrutiny, I so wish Edinburgh interviewed!

The University of Cardiff: I really love the location of this course too, as well as the structure and the fact it really gives a varied feel to medicine in the more clinical years. I think my GCSEs will be okay for the inital academic screening bit, but again, I don't know if my Personal Statement stands out enough to make admissions tutors want to invite me for interview.

The University of Newcastle: Really excited about Newcastle, as I have never been but the surrounding countryside looks absolutely stunning. I've heard the interviews can be hellish, but I think I'm going to be lucky if I get invited for interview, I'm starting to wonder if my UKCAT is good enough for them...

Brighton & Sussex Medical School: I am too worried about the sheer amount of applicants they had last year. Quite a few TSRians are thinking of applying too, so I think this year is going to be no different. Again, Personal Statement is a worry - I just really hope it portrays me well enough and that they like it enough to invite me for interview!

I am really happy with my choices: I just love the location of each and every choice, and I think their course structures will really suit me. I think I'm just generally worried about the lottery-esque quality of medicine applcations, I've done my best and I know that's all I can do, but the question is, is will is be good enough?
    you got 690 and youre worried it's not good enough. raahsclat!!!

ReputationRep:
    Some people do worry excessively on TSR. It's like procrastination and anxiety central.

I have 15A*s and 5As as well as 7AEAs which I sat a year early... Am I good enough for Sheffield Hallam?

It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    i have finally decided to press on with my application and am reapplying for the 3rd time to nottingham, southampton, uea and peninsula. neuroscience at ucl is my backup and really have to get in this year. after 2 gap years i just want to start uni now. i was going to go through extra/clearing this year but i thought to myself that ive come this far and to give up now would be ridiculous. im praying pms like me enough to interview - i heard they're kind to reapplicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Its true - even the best worry though. We're applying for one of the hardest courses, where everyone is so strong. I sure as hell know Im worrying.
    I'm not against worrying, but posting about it on TSR when you know full well other people have lower UKCAT scores, or indeed grades and are applying to the same universities you are to do the same course... It doesn't give people much hope, does it? :p:

It's like those posts saying.. "I have 19A*s, will I get into Oxbridge.."

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide between Aberdeen or Edinburgh. I've been to Aberdeen but not Edinburgh, and although I like the city and the university seem fairly on the ball with the course and stuff, the facilities seem a bit lax. We visited the clinical skills centre and after visiting Nottingham - it seemed so rubbish?! I've heard mixed reports about Edinburgh, I have visited the city before quite a few years ago and it seemed just as nice as Aberdeen, but competition is so strong, they don't interview and I have heard some people have been really unhappy there.
    Anyone got any opinions/pointers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    I can't decide between Aberdeen or Edinburgh. I've been to Aberdeen but not Edinburgh, and although I like the city and the university seem fairly on the ball with the course and stuff, the facilities seem a bit lax. We visited the clinical skills centre and after visiting Nottingham - it seemed so rubbish?! I've heard mixed reports about Edinburgh, I have visited the city before quite a few years ago and it seemed just as nice as Aberdeen, but competition is so strong, they don't interview and I have heard some people have been really unhappy there.
    I've heard Caius college don't bother with your personal statement and give you loads of random science questions.

I know nothing about Scottish unis though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I've heard Caius college don't bother with your personal statement and give you loads of random science questions.

I know nothing about Scottish unis though :p:
    Really? I've spoken to a couple of Caius medics and they didn't mention anything. Eek!

ReputationRep:
    Really? I've spoken to a couple of Caius medics and they didn't mention anything. Eek!
    Don't take my word for it though! I just heard that they just throw random questions at you to see if you can think on your feet. Some colleges though, may follow up on something you've put in your PS.

I'm applying to Sidney anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Don't take my word for it though! I just heard that they just throw random questions at you to see if you can think on your feet. Some colleges though, may follow up on something you've put in your PS.

I'm applying to Sidney anyway :p:
    We can be friendly acquaintances rather than vicious rivals then

ReputationRep:
    We can be friendly acquaintances rather than vicious rivals then
    Haha, I really don't mind that much really :p:

I'm not the only Sidney medical applicant at my school, but the other guy doesn't seem to care too much that we're both competing for 10 places our of 50+ applicants :rolleyes:

Plus I'm not budging with my choice :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Its true - even the best worry though. We're applying for one of the hardest courses, where everyone is so strong. I sure as hell know Im worrying.
    :ditto: Offline, I don't know one person who is applying to Medicine who isn't worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen is getting a new clinical skills center and stuff built at the medical school campus, at the open day the old one seemed a bit past its best. Edinburgh is a really nice city and the university is great. The first two years are spent in the old medical school which has a lot of history with it. I would personally go to an open day though if you can before applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjames06)
    Aberdeen is getting a new clinical skills center and stuff built at the medical school campus, at the open day the old one seemed a bit past its best. Edinburgh is a really nice city and the university is great. The first two years are spent in the old medical school which has a lot of history with it. I would personally go to an open day though if you can before applying.
    Thanks
    I think I'm going to go ahead with my initial choice of Aberdeen, quite reassuring that there's some regeneration in the medical department.

ReputationRep:
    For the UCAS form... I'm not too sure whether to include UMS marks.

For bio I got 239 (1 mark from an A) Module grades = BBA
    and chem 238 Module grades = BAA

ReputationRep:
    For the personal statement on the UCAS form, did people leave a space between the paragraph? Will UCAS/universities take out the spaces between the paragraphs in the end? I kinda of find it hard to read when I didn't leave a space between my paragraphs as it ended up looking like one big block of writing.

ReputationRep:
    Omg, I've finally finished and just clicked on the Pay/Send button and sent it off.

Arrrgh, aaarrrrrgghhh, ARRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Its not over yet, your school still needs to send it off too.

I went and sat with my teacher while she approved it all and sent it off. It was a wierd feeling.

Im doing that on Wednesday YAY

Cant Wait i think

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.