The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lotusx

@Jessaay! MEEE i do AQA eng lit :biggrin:

OMG YAY!

Are you doing Measure for Measure or Rime of the Ancient mariner? Do you have an exam on tuesday too?
I've sort of put it to the side because it's my fourth subject and I got 2 full mark modules last year, but I'm kind of scared now :frown:
DrVas
that's what i got, but i don't want to call it methyl ethyl ethanoate though

Cos this is ^ and that's with a primary alcohol (1-methyl ethan-1-ol)

Id call it Propyl ethanoate.

In the exam, just ask for an extra piece of paper and draw things out.

For that question I'd just draw out the mechanism to work out where everything goes, and then name it if it asked for a name.

It's way more difficult trying to work it out from a pair of reactants...
Reply 4582
Myoclonic Jerk

:hugs: <---- for Hyeree

sorry . i cant. my <3 belongs to someone else :s-smilie:
it's really not about you. me. im so so so sorry MJ! >.<

i love that line... best breakup line. ever. -_-'
Reply 4583
Jessaay!
OMG YAY!

Are you doing Measure for Measure or Rime of the Ancient mariner? Do you have an exam on tuesday too?
I've sort of put it to the side because it's my fourth subject and I got 2 full mark modules last year, but I'm kind of scared now :frown:

i'm doing both! how strange! but i don't have any exams in jan so it'll be end of the year.
and high 5 :wink: i got full marks in my papers last year as well. what did you do?
DrVas
that's what i got, but i don't want to call it methyl ethyl ethanoate though

Cos this is ^ and that's with a primary alcohol (1-methyl ethan-1-ol)

Id call it Propyl ethanoate.

From what I remember you have to name it with the longest chains of carbons

So propyl ethanoate would be right there (should the chains be longer remember to add numbers where appropriate)
Ahhh NMM, I'm on that too. I only use it to stalk the threads, I haven't ever posted.

It doesn't seem very lively at all. :frown:
Reply 4586
FFCrusader

So propyl ethanoate would be right there (should the chains be longer remember to add numbers where appropriate)

Yea im sorted now.
Jessaay!
Ahhh NMM, I'm on that too. I only use it to stalk the threads, I haven't ever posted.

It doesn't seem very lively at all. :frown:

It's not :p:
lotusx
i'm doing both! how strange! but i don't have any exams in jan so it'll be end of the year.
and high 5 :wink: i got full marks in my papers last year as well. what did you do?

Yay! :biggrin:

Yeah I got full marks in the Coursework and the first module. For the first module we did The Great Gatsby, for the coursework we did The Merchant of Venice, and for the final exam we did Death of a Salesman and Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake.

The last module let me down, 78/105. I think I just hated The Death of a Salesman and only sort of memorised quotes from it and did little else in preparation. I was awesome at the poetry bit though. Shame :frown: But oh well, still not complaining :p:

What did you do last year?

I quite like Measure for Measure and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but I hate lit exams, they're so dodgy, it all depends on the paper.
Im on Jan 2007 paper. 2 more to go till 2008. xD I should have finished ages ago, im just going slow. Ok better go and finish it up.
FFCrusader

But the longest chain consists of two carbons. I think you're meant to count from the oxygen forming the ester group.
Toiletpaper8
It's not :p:

Didn't think so :p:
I agree though, NMM seems depressing compared to this thread!
Sanjetti
But the longest chain consists of two carbons. I think you're meant to count from the oxygen forming the ester group.

Indeed :yep:

That was in general for all the other things like alcohols and such

I'm a bit rusty on chemistry, its been quite a few months since I've had to think about it :o:
FFCrusader
Indeed :yep:

That was in general for all the other things like alcohols and such

I'm a bit rusty on chemistry, its been quite a few months since I've had to think about it :o:

what did you get for your AS and wat were you predicted last time when you applied?
Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down, twas sad as sad could be.

As idle as a painted ship upon the painted ocean:frown:

I was quoting and those reminded me of NMM...

I need a life.
Reply 4596
Jessaay!
Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down, twas sad as sad could be.

As idle as a painted ship upon the painted ocean:frown:

I was quoting and those reminded me of NMM...

I need a life.

god, my teacher read through the whole poem at one sitting last week. afterwards, i felt so drained. it takes so much out of you! silly coleridge man.
and last year, i did the color purple for paper 1, king lear for coursework and blake/amadeus for the last paper. i thought i'd written a load of rubbish on amadeus because i babbled on inanely for most of it...turns out they liked it!
i know what you mean, if the question's weird, you're screwed. how are you finding measure for measure?
lotusx
god, my teacher read through the whole poem at one sitting last week. afterwards, i felt so drained. it takes so much out of you! silly coleridge man.
and last year, i did the color purple for paper 1, king lear for coursework and blake/amadeus for the last paper. i thought i'd written a load of rubbish on amadeus because i babbled on inanely for most of it...turns out they liked it!
i know what you mean, if the question's weird, you're screwed. how are you finding measure for measure?

Measure for Measure's ok, it's just a lot of quotes and a lot of assessment objectives to adhere to :s-smilie: I hate the fact it's no longer your own opinion, but you have to write the essay the way they want you to write it. It's hardly analysis.

I wish we did the exams in June instead, it would be a lot more work in June but I just don't think you can learn a book in six months properly, and also get the essay writing to a tee. It would make a lot more sense to me to do the coursework first and then do the rest later, and learn the books constantly throughout the year.
Reply 4598
Jessaay!
Measure for Measure's ok, it's just a lot of quotes and a lot of assessment objectives to adhere to :s-smilie: I hate the fact it's no longer your own opinion, but you have to write the essay the way they want you to write it. It's hardly analysis.

I wish we did the exams in June instead, it would be a lot more work in June but I just don't think you can learn a book in six months properly, and also get the essay writing to a tee. It would make a lot more sense to me to do the coursework first and then do the rest later, and learn the books constantly throughout the year.

that's exactly what we've done. i handed in the first draft of my coursework in january; we'd been spending time on it since the beginning of the year. what is yours on?
i never even think about the assessment objectives :s-smilie: the problem with closed book exams is that it's just regurgitation of your notes, rather than having the passage in front of you to analyse. but i suppose that's the point of the synoptic paper.
Ahh the synoptic! Hopefully that will be ok! I need about 207 UMS (yes I have been obsessively counting) to get an A this year, so hopefully I can get full marks on my coursework again, get a decent mark in either my synoptic or my january exam and still get an A. I was expecting this to be my B subject but after working out that I could get full marks in the coursework and only need 107ish marks on the rest of my english exams to get an A it might be the only subject I'm pretty much set for an A in.
Chemistry is the worse though, I can't seem to get above really high Bs or really low As in the past papers. Argh! :frown:
I'm just hoping to get an AAB offer from somewhere (UCL PLEASE) and then I'd be all set. Leicester are evil with their AAA offers + A in Chem.

Latest

Trending

Trending