Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    That andrenaline bit put me off big time
    but I managed to blag my way through hopefully. Hopefully 8/9 out of 10 for the essay.

And yes I agree, far too many "describe the graph" questions - I HARDLY EVER get 3/3 marks for those. Usually 1 or 2. And not enough on the big topics - ie nerve impulses, kidneys, eyes..

But to be fair though, the respiration question was pretty decent. All one mark questions - no huge marks lost there hopefully.

Mircobiology was ok though. A four mark question on bread making! lol
    Quite a bit on antibiotics too. But again, none of the big topics came up - serial dilutions, exotoxins/endotoxis, TB, HIV...

Felt a bit ripped off on the whole - I revised so much that didn't actually turn up so I think the A boundary will be 49 or 50 out of 70 as the paper on the whole wasn't too bad.
    That adrenaline bit was hard. Apparently it basically does what glucagon does.. I think I may have got like 7-8 marks as in the mark scheme, there would probably be 15+ available marks to hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielisew)
    I shall explain the calculation.

Here are my made up values for the question to make it easier to explain:

Hand Arthritis

Age / Sex / No. Diagnosis

15-20 / male / 2000
    / female / 4000

20-50 / male / 5000
    / female / 7000

50+ / male / 8000
    / female / 14000

Ok, so I added up the total diagnosis numbers for males and females, so males is: 2000+5000+8000 = 15000. The total for female diagnosis is 4000+7000+14000 = 25000. I then added these two values together to get the total for both genders (15000+25000) = 40000. Then, I took away the smaller number (men) away from the woman: 25000 - 15000 = 10000. I divided this by the very total: 10000/40000 and multiplied by 100. With these values, you get 25% but in the exam the values were obviously different and the answer was 60%

Hope this helps.. I struggled too and had to think about it at first..

it seems so simple... I cudnt do such simple maths... :ninja:

I get it now. I guess word 'difference' tricked me into 'increase'..altho i knew that wasnt the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielisew)
    That adrenaline bit was hard. Apparently it basically does what glucagon does.. I think I may have got like 7-8 marks as in the mark scheme, there would probably be 15+ available marks to hit.
    Have a look at this. This is from a previous years markscheme, and the question was on insulin and glucagon but you can assume it asked about andrenaline since they have a similar effect.

1 reference to, islets (of Langerhans) / pancreas, as, detector / eq, of change
    in glucose level ;
    2 release of insulin as a result of rise in glucose level ;
    3 from beta cells ;
    4 reference to insulin receptors on cell membranes ;
    5 reference to increased permeability of membrane to glucose ;
    6 reference to glycogenesis / conversion of glucose to glycogen ;
    7 in liver ;
    8 reference to inhibition of breakdown of lipids in, adipose / fat storage tissue / increases cell respiration rate ;
    9 insulin results in reduction of blood glucose level / glucagon results in increase in blood glucose ;
    10 release of glucagon as a result of fall in glucose level ;
    11 from alpha cells ;
    12 affects enzyme activity in cells ;
    13 reference to glycogenolysis / conversion of glycogen to glucose ;
    14 reference to hormones secreted into / transported in blood plasma;
    15 reference to negative feedback / good description ;

But I'll assume they probably add on -
    andrenaline increases heart rate/metabolism/fight or flight
    and other random stuff about andrenaline - cyclic AMP..

but looking at this, you can get 10 marks from just talking about insulin (with briefly mentioning points 14 or 15)!

Don't worry, you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    just to be on the safe side i also talked about glucagon. I noticed they sometimes do keep irrevelant stuff on their mark scheme. They cnt mark me down being extra :P

ReputationRep:
    I talked about EVERYTHING i knew about hormonal control, negative feedback, homeostasis, diabetes, hyperglycaemia, hypoglycaemia...Don't ask - i just went overboard too. They can get so random and there's no negative marking so what the heck. :p:

And insulin and andrenaline of course! Not so much andrenaline, but lots on insulin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    Do you know the exact date of results date?
    Schools get the results electronically on March 12th. The official release date is the 19th though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Schools get the results electronically on March 12th. The official release date is the 19th though.
    Ah thankyou... i wonder when we will get ours, my school seems to be quite gung ho about handing things out early.... or late :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Which questions are you unsure about?

For me it was very much a case of: if you'd read your notes, it was simple. There was no real application of what we've learned.

From what I can see, the only people that found it hard that I know are the ones that just didnt memorise their notes: there was nothing conceptually difficult about anything in the module.
    There wasn't. However, I always feel skeptical about biology exams because the mark schemes are so pedantic and specific. When I feel like it's simple, I always feel as though I've missed something.

ReputationRep:
    im glad i didnt take biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Have a look at this. This is from a previous years markscheme, and the question was on insulin and glucagon but you can assume it asked about andrenaline since they have a similar effect.

1 reference to, islets (of Langerhans) / pancreas, as, detector / eq, of change
    in glucose level ;
    2 release of insulin as a result of rise in glucose level ;
    3 from beta cells ;
    4 reference to insulin receptors on cell membranes ;
    5 reference to increased permeability of membrane to glucose ;
    6 reference to glycogenesis / conversion of glucose to glycogen ;
    7 in liver ;
    8 reference to inhibition of breakdown of lipids in, adipose / fat storage tissue / increases cell respiration rate ;
    9 insulin results in reduction of blood glucose level / glucagon results in increase in blood glucose ;
    10 release of glucagon as a result of fall in glucose level ;
    11 from alpha cells ;
    12 affects enzyme activity in cells ;
    13 reference to glycogenolysis / conversion of glycogen to glucose ;
    14 reference to hormones secreted into / transported in blood plasma;
    15 reference to negative feedback / good description ;

But I'll assume they probably add on -
    andrenaline increases heart rate/metabolism/fight or flight
    and other random stuff about andrenaline - cyclic AMP..

but looking at this, you can get 10 marks from just talking about insulin (with briefly mentioning points 14 or 15)!

Don't worry, you'll do well.
    lmao just talking about insulin I got points 1-9, 12 and 14. hahaha. Well, maybe i got full marks without mentioning adrenaline! 100% please!

EDIT: I talked about how proteins are soluble and diffuse through the target cell membranes to bind to a specific receptor forming the hormone-receptor complex and binding with adenyl cyclase using ATP to produce the secondary messenger cyclic AMP, which activates enzymes.. said all that too. There isn't negative marking so all the stuff I said may get me 10 marks without saying anything about adrenaline (apart from it 'stimulating insulin' which i guessed and was totally wrong lmao).

ReputationRep:
    Manchester offer
    WINNRAR

ReputationRep:
    Manchester offer
    WINNRAR
    Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Congrats.
    Thank very much
    Liike i said before, i'm sorry for being harsh to you, and best of luck with your application mate :o:

ReputationRep:
    wow nice sidewalkwhenshewalks...

If only SGUL wud hurry up...

ReputationRep:
    !
    i can't help but notice you posted this at 7 IN THE MORNING
    Wat?!
    Yeah...I'm in early at college on Fridays and had to email myself some work before I left :p:

ReputationRep:
    Manchester offer
    WINNRAR
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester offer
    WINNRAR
    congrats.
    i guess the putting-eggs-in-one-basked thing payed off

ReputationRep:
    congrats sidewalkwhenshewalks!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester offer
    WINNRAR
    :party:

Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    :party:

Congrats.
    I can tell Durham to shove it now
    save me a 5 hour car journey

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.