Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the obsessive refreshing of Track some people talk about. You get an email if anything changes, so what's the point? :confused:

(Original post by Baki)
    After New Years, but before April. :p:
    You've done nothing so far then - could have another 2 months to go. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I don't understand the obsessive refreshing of Track some people talk about. You get an email if anything changes, so what's the point? :confused:

You've done nothing so far then - could have another 2 months to go. :p:

You get an email at either 1pm (or maybe 12) or 5pm only. So if it updates at 6 then you won't find out till the following afternoon unless you actually check track, although I doubt its active on the weekends anyway..

ReputationRep:
    wow
    Baki, you still not heard?
    Its been ages, but I'm sure its good news!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahrukh24)
    You get an email at either 1pm (or maybe 12) or 5pm only. So if it updates at 6 then you won't find out till the following afternoon unless you actually check track, although I doubt its active on the weekends anyway..
    But still, it's not as if finding the information out half a day earlier will make that much of a difference.

And surely UCAS staff wouldn't work past the hours of 5 anyway - I can't imagine it updating much later.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. There are more important things to obsess over in life.

Like TSR :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Exactly. There are more important things to obsess over in life.

Like TSR :shifty:
    There are more fun things to obsess over as well. At least TSR will definitely have something new on it every time I go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    There are more fun things to obsess over as well. At least TSR will definitely have something new on it every time I go back.
    Heh.

Besides, I'm getting fed up of seeing 'Unsuccessful' every time I log in

ReputationRep:
    Besides, I'm getting fed up of seeing 'Unsuccessful' every time I log in
    Yet another reason to only log on when you know there's going to be a change then.

ReputationRep:
    Question: have any of you ever been to Eastern Europe?

If so...

Where did you go (country/city)?
    What time of year was it?
    What was there to do there?
    What did you think of it?
    Would you recommend it?
    Is there anything you wish you knew before you went?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    yes.

If so...

Where did you go (country/city)? prague (twice)

What time of year was it? february (parents) and summer (class trip) 2006

What was there to do there? museums (feb) and party (summer) :p:
    What did you think of it? awesome place. and actually a lot of touristy things to do there. and a whole lot of cheap alcohol. oh and there's also a concentration camp about 2 hours away... we went there to make it 'educational' lol.

Would you recommend it? yeah. it's a must go at least once in your life. i mean it is prague. :p:

Is there anything you wish you knew before you went? erm that the train ride back to berlin from prague would be impossible to breathe in ... and no place to sit (i sat on a friend;s knee for the whole journey back . . . )
    and that you pay fines for everything [we paid about 100 euros for going on a tram road with car... well we cant read their language and some guys got fined for sitting on the grass with fences around it . . .hahahah it was quite funny because we'd been sitting there about 3 minutes before as well]

prague is filled with tourists. and actually the locals are pretty nice too.
    the shops might want to rip you off though.

ReputationRep:
    Question: have any of you ever been to Eastern Europe?

If so...

Where did you go (country/city)?
    What time of year was it?
    What was there to do there?
    What did you think of it?
    Would you recommend it?
    Is there anything you wish you knew before you went?

Cheers

Where did you go (country/city)? Budapest
    What time of year was it? July
    What was there to do there? We spent a bit on the lovely Margaret island (in the middle of the river Danube) which is beautiful - it's like one lovely park. We visited a lot of historical sites like St Stephen's Basilica, their parliament etc. Fantastic architecture. I was 13 at the time so I can't really tell you what there is for people our age.
    What did you think of it? It was brilliant - absolutely amazing city, lovely country. The food was fantastic; I have developed a love for paprika. The people are lovely and friendly - at a cafe you would sit with people whether you knew them or not - it was normal for people to do so.
    Would you recommend it? Definitely! Although, the only downside is that it has the Euro so will be a tad expensive.
    Is there anything you wish you knew before you went? It's really, really hot in July.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you go? - st petersburg - its quite easy to get a visa, you just apply to them and it costs about 10 pounds
    What time of year was it? - july
    What was there to do there? - lots of history stuff and architecture but its actually quite interesting
    What did you think of it? - Its a lot safer than moscow and you can just walk around the city. Its full of canals so its like a russian version of venice
    Would you recommend it? - definately
    Is there anything you wish you knew before you went? - know a bit of russian but I didn't really use any, most people in the city speak it anyway. Plus its very cheap over there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    Prague
    Is it really as dodgy as you make it sound?! :p:

(Original post by Holsy)
    Budapest
    Wow, that looks absolutely stunning.

(Original post by shahrukh24)
    St Petersburg
    Sounds cool

Thanks guys, any more reviews would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    @hyeree: so you'd definitely recommend going to prague? what kind of things can you do there as a tourist?
    the reason i ask is because prague is probably our back up if malta falls through.
    anyone been to istanbul? any good?

ReputationRep:
    Where did you go (country/city)? Prague (although is that more Central Europe? :dontknow:)
    What time of year was it? Spring
    What was there to do there? Well, I went for the Speedway World Cup, but there seemed a fair few other things to do there as well.
    What did you think of it? It was pretty cool.
    Would you recommend it? Yeah - there was a good balance of old and new, and it was ridiculously cheap (£4 for Chateaubriand between 4). Mind you, this was before every stag party in the UK went there, so things might have changed since then.
    Is there anything you wish you knew before you went? Not really. Everyone was friendly enough (they'd only just joined the EU I think), so they went to great lengths to help us.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really as dodgy as you make it sound?! :p:
    hahahahahahaah.
    well. it is an ex-communist country. and the police even said to the boys "well if we were still communist we wouldnt be having this problem .. blablabla"
    so well. a bit?

but it is quite nice the place.
    it's pretty :] lots to see and do.
    nightlife is great. :]] except it will be touristy nightlife but wtv.
    on my class trip it was constant partying for 4 days. with going to museums and all. food was great too.
    crap hostel though. but doesnt matter because all you really do there is sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    @hyeree: so you'd definitely recommend going to prague? what kind of things can you do there as a tourist?
    the reason i ask is because prague is probably our back up if malta falls through.
    anyone been to istanbul? any good?
    yes.
    erm well i was there for 4 days with my parents.
    aka no partying and just going to museums etc.

there were a whole lot to do. promise. :]
    except i cant really remember . . . >.<
    there;s the castle and the bridge and like the clock in the square. . .
    franz kafka's grave. . . hahaha they'd made his birthhouse into a restaurant. it was good :cool: . :] there's torture museums eehh.. a lot to do. just plan things beforehand :] there's plenty of stuff on the net i should think.

some peopel are going back to prague again. for grad trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    hahahahahahaah.
    well. it is an ex-communist country. and the police even said to the boys "well if we were still communist we wouldnt be having this problem .. blablabla"
    so well. a bit?

but it is quite nice the place.
    it's pretty :] lots to see and do.
    nightlife is great. :]] except it will be touristy nightlife but wtv.
    on my class trip it was constant partying for 4 days. with going to museums and all. food was great too.
    crap hostel though. but doesnt matter because all you really do there is sleep
    That's interesting; if we end up going there I'll remember to keep my wits about me!

Cheap, crappy accommodation is the way forward

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting; if we end up going there I'll remember to keep my wits about me!

Cheap, crappy accommodation is the way forward
    Yup If you're looking for REALLY cheap and crappy accomodation search for Etap hotels. You can get a room for £30 a night, and that can be for up to three people. Plus you can get breakfast for a couple of quid extra. No, it's not the Ritz, hell it's not even the Travel Lodge but it's cheap, there's a bed and a nice hot shower, and at the end of the day, for student-y holidays that's all you need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Yup If you're looking for REALLY cheap and crappy accomodation search for Etap hotels. You can get a room for £30 a night, and that can be for up to three people. Plus you can get breakfast for a couple of quid extra. No, it's not the Ritz, hell it's not even the Travel Lodge but it's cheap, there's a bed and a nice hot shower, and at the end of the day, for student-y holidays that's all you need
    I'll look into it - cheers for the recommendation :cool:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.