Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.--Lou--.x.)
    I know this isn't strictly related, but i need advice.

Im planning my transport for my upcoming kings interview....now how good of an idea do you think it is that I travel alone? I have never had to navigate myself around london properly before, apart from shopping, seeing shows and the Millenium dome :p: . So what do you reckon, is it safe for me to go alone? The journey would involve train from X to london Paddington, then on the tube to London Bridge. Im fairly confident that I can actually get there, my mums just more concerned about who I'll meet on my way :o:

And in case your wondering then only reason I want to travel alone is I know travelling with my mum will stress me out, I wont be able to chill out with her asking me questions about the uni/interview etc every 5 mins!!!

Also im very aware that this will sound completely ridiculous to some of you accomplished city dwellers....I however live in a little town, where Plymouth is a 'big city'. :rolleyes:

So what do you reckon??
    I reckon you'll be fine on your own It's not like you'll be travelling in the middle of the night is it? If you think you're confident enough to go on your own and this will put you in a better frame of mind before your iterview by all means go for it

Just make sure you leave some time spare for any random unexpected delays

I know what you mean by the rents making you panic more! Mine are the same lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I think it would be fine, and so long as you're up for it a good idea, as University is going to be all about independence.

I live in a tiny village, and have travelled by myself to all of my interviews. As long as you're well prepared, e.g. you know where you've got to go, then you won't get lost, and you won't have to ask any "unsavouries" for directions.
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    I reckon you'll be fine on your own It's not like you'll be travelling in the middle of the night is it? If you think you're confident enough to go on your own and this will put you in a better frame of mind before your iterview by all means go for it

Just make sure you leave some time spare for any random unexpected delays

I know what you mean by the rents making you panic more! Mine are the same lmao
    Thanks for the help, I probably will end up going on my own I think....mums just slightly nervous. Unfortunately a family friend who studied at Kings was sexually assulted 3 times during her degree , luckily though I wont have to travel at night. Hopefully everything will be ok, ......tis an adventure

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully everything will be ok, ......tis an adventure
    That's a good way to look at it - your first step towards University life.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, I probably will end up going on my own I think....mums just slightly nervous. Unfortunately a family friend who studied at Kings was sexually assulted 3 times during her degree , luckily though I wont have to travel at night. Hopefully everything will be ok, ......tis an adventure
    Travel in a group!

ReputationRep:
    Oh My God. I don't believe it. I've never seen an ASS LIKE THAAT.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good way to look at it - your first step towards University life.
    That's exactly my point to my mum...I could potentially (and hopefully!!) end up living in this place....so nows the best time to start!!! (But mums being mums mean that they worry :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    haha you'd have so much fun keeping me from falling :p:
    lol what kind of scars?

haha I don't plan that much really.. ah well :p:
    haha. im used to it. or rather was used to it :p:
    haha well have a huge scar on my knee. well not a HUGE one but still :p:
    i am a clumsy person haha.

i have loads of scars. . .

i dont either. . . not really :p:

I know this isn't strictly related, but i need advice.

Im planning my transport for my upcoming kings interview....now how good of an idea do you think it is that I travel alone? I have never had to navigate myself around london properly before, apart from shopping, seeing shows and the Millenium dome :p: . So what do you reckon, is it safe for me to go alone? The journey would involve train from X to london Paddington, then on the tube to London Bridge. Im fairly confident that I can actually get there, my mums just more concerned about who I'll meet on my way :o:

And in case your wondering then only reason I want to travel alone is I know travelling with my mum will stress me out, I wont be able to chill out with her asking me questions about the uni/interview etc every 5 mins!!!

Also im very aware that this will sound completely ridiculous to some of you accomplished city dwellers....I however live in a little town, where Plymouth is a 'big city'. :rolleyes:

So what do you reckon??
    i went to nottingham by myself from sweden. i think you'd be fine. i took trains from birmingham int'l to birmingham to nottingham . . . and from nottingham i went to coventry. it's fine i think. trains arent that hard.

if i had my way i'd be going alone to london as well. but mom wants to go to london... not necessarily because of my interview -_-'' oh well.

ask people if you get lost. that's the best way. and if you do take maps and routes you should be fine. i was fine without a map in nottingham :p: forgot it at home. remembered i'd forgotten at the airport haha.

i htink you should be fine. isnt it time to get out on our own without our parent's ? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    i went to nottingham by myself from sweden. i think you'd be fine. i took trains from birmingham int'l to birmingham to nottingham . . . and from nottingham i went to coventry. it's fine i think. trains arent that hard.

if i had my way i'd be going alone to london as well. but mom wants to go to london... not necessarily because of my interview -_-'' oh well.

ask people if you get lost. that's the best way. and if you do take maps and routes you should be fine. i was fine without a map in nottingham :p: forgot it at home. remembered i'd forgotten at the airport haha.

i htink you should be fine. isnt it time to get out on our own without our parent's ? :p:
    Im not really the one thats worried.....it might not sound like it from my posts but im very independent, but after what happened to my friend, my mums nervous for me, and i'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little unnerved from it.

It's not the logistics of actually figuring out how I get there, that doesn't worry me at all (things like finding my own way make me happy :p:), but my mum seems to have this idea that I'll be vunerable in some way (I am pretty scrawny...but not THAT scrawny :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    Im not really the one thats worried.....it might not sound like it from my posts but im very independent, but after what happened to my friend, my mums nervous for me, and i'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little unnerved from it.

It's not the logistics of actually figuring out how I get there, that doesn't worry me at all (things like finding my own way make me happy :p:), but my mum seems to have this idea that I'll be vunerable in some way (I am pretty scrawny...but not THAT scrawny :rolleyes:).
    hmm well if you DO go to kings. you'll travel alone. . .
    she has to realize that.
    im sure nothing will happen.
    it's broad daylight and just have your phone handy at all times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    hmm well if you DO go to kings. you'll travel alone. . .
    she has to realize that.
    im sure nothing will happen.
    it's broad daylight and just have your phone handy at all times

Thanks for the help....

Just booked the tickets...travelling alone (and first calss was only 6 squid cheaper, phwoop yer!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help....

Just booked the tickets...travelling alone (and first calss was only 6 squid cheaper, phwoop yer!!!)
    The actual Kings area is pretty safe in comparison to other areas. Especially in day light. The night time is only when you have to worry.

Make sure to take main roads, don't travel down back alleys.

ReputationRep:
    First class on a train (I assume), the finishing touch on an already rip-off system.

ReputationRep:
    First class on a train (I assume), the finishing touch on an already rip-off system.
    Agreed....but for 6 quid I couldn't resist :o:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed....but for 6 quid I couldn't resist :o:
    Fair enough - just don't be surprised if you can't see any discernible difference between the two classes.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough - just don't be surprised if you can't see any discernible difference between the two classes.

Hey, wait a minute!! :eyeball:

They have lamps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)

They have lamps.
    Some do.

ReputationRep:
    I've travelled First Class before...a very nice teacher paid for us when we went to a cmpetition :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've travelled First Class before...a very nice teacher paid for us when we went to a cmpetition :eek:
    I've travelled on a train before!

:>.<:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)

They have lamps.
    That really is the only difference!

Imagine if you had to sit opposite another person and you couldn't agree whether it should be turned on or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    That really is the only difference!

Imagine if you had to sit opposite another person and you couldn't agree whether it should be turned on or not!

That's where First Class comes into play - brings people together.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.