Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    When their offer is based on 3 Alevels, I think thats exactly waht Im going to give them - 3 Alevels. I have the option to do 4 if I want, but put plainly, I dont want to. In the words of someone on their admissions staff on the open day - someone with 4 alevels will not be viewed in favor of someone with 3.
    an unwise decision my friend. i'll be very surprised/impressed if you get in with 3...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else panic-ing over lack of medical experience? ^^;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    an unwise decision my friend. i'll be very surprised/impressed if you get in with 3...
    What? A lot of people I know only carried on with 3 A-Levels and got offers for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    What? A lot of people I know only carried on with 3 A-Levels and got offers for medicine.
    we were talking about oxbridge specifically.

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious, what made you's choose to do Medicine and to become a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 蘋果)
    I'm curious, what made you's choose to do Medicine and to become a doctor?
    Its my destiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Its my destiny.
    Lol :p: Fair enough. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else going to the Premed day at Imperial on the 6th? I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)

I was/Maybe but i don't see the point any more?

Ive already derided that its for me and iv decided where to apply so i'm not sure what there is to gain!!

why are you going?

ReputationRep:
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    I was/Maybe but i don't see the point any more?

Ive already derided that its for me and iv decided where to apply so i'm not sure what there is to gain!!

why are you going?
    Because I still think it'll be useful, and it looks really fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Me too!
    Yay! We'll all have to look out for each other

ReputationRep:
    Yay! We'll all have to look out for each other
    I know! I wonder if anyone else on TSR is going too? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I know! I wonder if anyone else on TSR is going too? :eek:
    A couple of people said they were a while back, but actually knowing whether they're TSR-ers or not will be difficult as most people don't have pictures of themselves on here!

ReputationRep:
    Your incredibly misinformed if thats what you think! There is no preference in taking 4 A-Levels over 3, as some candidates don't have the chance to take 4 A-Levels. It wouldn't be fair otherwise, or so say the admissions tutors....

ReputationRep:
    What does this premed day entail?
    http://www.ontology.org.uk/PreMed/Index.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_stretch)
    Your incredibly misinformed if thats what you think! There is no preference in taking 4 A-Levels over 3, as some candidates don't have the chance to take 4 A-Levels. It wouldn't be fair otherwise, or so say the admissions tutors....
    i've done the research and i'm not misinformed. i was talking about oxbridge btw in case you're confused. and i know there's no preference (did i ever say there was..?) i'm just saying that it's statistically proven that most successfull oxbridge candidates will have more than 3 A levels for medicine (i have seen very few exceptions). and i'm sure nearly all candidates will have the chance to take 4...considering all of them would have taken 4 AS's.

ReputationRep:
    See, thats got me thinking now, so Ive emailed an admissions tutor there to see what they say.
    As ben_stretch said, some people dont have the chance to do 4...I do have the chance, but i'd rather not. Im much more inclined to do really well at three.

If I need 4, I might just not bother with oxford, even though currently Im in a pretty good position with my GCSEs. I'll see what the admissions tutor says when they get back to me. Theyre the people I will believe.
    there's no point, they're just going to say you need 3 and doing any more won't put you at an advantage. basically they just try and make sure they get as many applicants as possible by saying stuff like "you need passes at grade C or above in sciences maths" etc. when in fact they just want to increase the competition. this allows the best quality candidates to be selected. it's a beautiful system that a lot of people don't understand. go do a survey or look at stats...thats where the facts lie.

ReputationRep:
    i've done the research and i'm not misinformed. i was talking about oxbridge btw in case you're confused. and i know there's no preference (did i ever say there was..?) i'm just saying that it's statistically proven that most successfull oxbridge candidates will have more than 3 A levels for medicine (i have seen very few exceptions). and i'm sure nearly all candidates will have the chance to take 4...considering all of them would have taken 4 AS's.
    Yes, I'm talking about Oxbridge aswell, I specifically asked the admission tutors this very question! Just because the 'most successful' candidates will have more than 3 As, you can't assume that this is remotely part of the admissions process, as it is obviously more likely to be linked to the work ethic of the applicants! Your making a huge assumption that just because most applicant DO have 4 A2's, that it is an important part of the process (which seem to be very much mutially exclusive according to the advice of the tutors).
    Some colleges allow students to take 4 AS's and only 3 A2's BTW, or so I'm lead to believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_stretch)
    Yes, I'm talking about Oxbridge aswell, I specifically asked the admission tutors this very question! Just because the 'most successful' candidates will have more than 3 As, you can't assume that this is remotely part of the admissions process, as it is obviously more likely to be linked to the work ethic of the applicants! Your making a huge assumption that just because most applicant DO have 4 A2's, that it is an important part of the process (which seem to be very much mutially exclusive according to the advice of the tutors).
    Some colleges allow students to take 4 AS's and only 3 A2's BTW, or so I'm lead to believe.
    jeez, i didn't assume any of that. i know other parts of the admissions process play a larger part than A levels, so you don't have to point out the obvious.
    i hope the best for everyone, why would i try and give false advice? anyway i'm sorry that you can't see it my way, it's your life - you do what you want.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.