Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    there were no chat threads last year and there has kind of been some sort of medic family on tsr i think part of the anger is to do with jealousy, personality clashes etc. arguments were inevitable if applicatns are going to make this sort of thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilipd)
    there were no chat threads last year and there has kind of been some sort of medic family on tsr i think part of the anger is to do with jealousy, personality clashes etc. arguments were inevitable if applicatns are going to make this sort of thread
    There were some chat threads last year, but there weren't as many regular posters, so there was only really a couple of us. And a lot of the chat was in individual threads, which made the forum messy but didn't lead to such huge collations of threads. Hmm, I guess that's a point to be considered for next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    "what say we slip between my beta-pleated sheets and you get to know my alpha-helix?"

That's pretty good. Though the DNA helicase one isn't necessarily a chat-up line. It's multi-purpose, which is why I'll have to say it trumps yours

ReputationRep:
    i like it when people argue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    That's pretty good. Though the DNA helicase one isn't necessarily a chat-up line. It's multi-purpose, which is why I'll have to say it trumps yours
    Touché.

How about;

"Hey baby, can I be your enzyme? because my active site is dying for a chemical reaction."

Granted its not multi purpose, but oh so nerdy (and crude).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    Touché.

How about;

"Hey baby, can I be your enzyme? because my active site is dying for a chemical reaction."

Granted its not multi purpose, but oh so nerdy (and crude).
    Haha. I like that one! But it isn't one I'd ever put in my sig. or anything. Probably the most cliche (don't know how to put the accent on!) and nerdy one I've heard of.

ReputationRep:
    TSR certainly is... erm.... weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Noo no it's fine I can see how it can be interpreted as "they'll fall apart without you :woo:" Sort of thing, which would be quite fake.

Have fun with the whisky tasting. Mm. Whisky. Good choice.
    I think I may have over done it.

I just threw up the most awesome mix of bile and blood, and a pig has **** in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm88)
    This is my las post on this topic now. Baki what you are faling to realise was that i am incensed by what she said to me. She called me immature first and didn not take into account that i had posted just after i had got the rejection even after i made it clear. Try and remember how you must have felt after getting rejections and the emotions you felt each time - maybe that is something we have in common. i never asked for her perspective on it all - like i said before i just needed somewhere to vent - i couldnt talk to any of my friends either as they are not applying to med so dont understand. there was no need for you to interject
    So this is the part where I'm supposed to empathise with you...

For reference, my first post after my UCL rejection two days ago.

(Original post by Baki)
    Rejected.

Sorry, but I still think you over-reacted.

At any rate, let bygones be bygones (or whatever the **** that means. :woo: )

:laugh:

(Original post by ADREAM)
    *cries*

Bak-man's evil!
    Cry more. :mad: Your tears only make me stronger. MUAHAHAHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm88)
    yes i had extenuating circumstances as to why i got the as grades, which were very very very serious at the time. do you honestly think i would even bother applying to medicine had i not had those circumstances? for god's sake when i phoned the admissions departments before applying they were surprised i was even carrying on with a2 so you have absolutely no right to judge me on my academics when you have absolutely no idea what i have been through. and due to the seriousness of this case, i was given special consideration by the exam boards but my other unis thought this was not good enough so still took my circumstances into account whereas when i phoned uea up before applying they said exam board consideration should suffice. at the end of the day uea probably thought i was too "messed up" to apply and didnt want someone like me on their course - thank god for more understanding unis. uea claim to care and to consider each application carefully - i dont think so - they probably saw my grades and ukcat and binned it. the other unis recommended that i resit as and they would have considered me the same but i was determined to do it in 2 years because uea said that they wouldnt considre me if i did it over 3 so you can imagine why i was so annoyed at the rejection after sacrificing so much for them - then again i dont expect you to understand anythign as you are a narrow minded naive 17 year old who has no understanding of what difficulties people can be faced with when applying. not all of us have sparkling grades and an easy ride into med - some of us actually have to overcome barriers that you cant even imagine but i dont expect you to understand that. the other thing with me that is different is i cannot reapply to medicine, unlike most people - this is my one and only shot so every rejection hurts a lot more than what it should. and graduate entry just isnt an option for me - no way in hell could i afford it!

and for the record, uea are interviewing people with pharmacy/optometry statements according to other med applicants. one of my friends has tailored his ps to neuroscience and managed to get an interview as well and is now boasting about it. these people only applied on the off chance of getting interview. so yes i am angry, i am bitter, i may be acting immature but i believe that uea have honestly cocked things up well and truly this year. if you look at nmm you'll see what i mean - why should i learn to cope with this? their system is flawed and i think come april they would have realised this.

you also have no right to comment on my maturity either. again you dont know the obstacle si have had to face and you know nothing about me. i have had to deal with things that not veen grown up adults have had to deal with which is why my other unis were probably so understanding. at least now i know that the other unis i applied to will take me seriously and bother reading my whole applicatiopn. if i get a rejection from them i wont be so annoyed because they would have had a good reason to reject me if they think im not good enough. the thing that has upset me with uea is the way they dealth with everything - im going to appeal this decision as i believe i wasnt treated fairly if i end up getting 2 more rejections
    I didn't judge you on your academics. Have you seen my own? Who could I judge on that. I was saying that maybe if there were NO circumstances, then they could have judged you on that.

Also, to the bit in red. How dare you judge me like that. I didn't judge you, I said you needed to deal with it because that's what the admissions process has become like. You have no idea what I've been through in my life, maybe it just happened earlier than you? I have not been brought up with a silver spoon in my mouth. I have had problems, I've had heartbreak and trauma and maybe quite prematurely, I'm having a good two years now and I sympathise with you, and I've had difficulties in my application. I was told not to apply. Christ I even had difficulties getting through my sats and nearly had to be home tutored, I was then in year 11 told not to apply to sixth form and go somewhere else. I'm not narrow minded at all, however you cursed and swore and got extremely annoyed and I believe that is not a good way to react to something like that. I think there's a way for everyone to act and modestly and calmly is one of those. I mean UEA did say they'd consider you, but not guarantee you an interview. You have more interviews, so there is absolutely no need to act like that. It's annoying, yes, but my god.

And to the bit in blue, my advice was to calm down over this, because if you get so worked up over UEA, who have obviously either made a mistake or changed their mind, then it's going to have an affect on you in the stress of the actual medical degree. I'd read that post again if I was you. You need to calm down or you'll be a nervous wreck, and I know this. I realise you have had a lot of stress and hurt but you need to stay calm and try and get yourself through this without reacting like that, and that is why I posted. Now stop trying to offend me back, because like you said, I don't know you at all, but I didn't judge you. You're judging me.

ReputationRep:
    My god, I just read the last few pages, to be honest my post is something I'd say to anyone in that sort of state. I said I had sympathy if there were extenuating circumstances for her grades, however if NOT I DIDN'T.
    Christ.
    I mean people are going "OMGZ INSENSITIVE" whereas, genuinely, as Baki said, I was offering perspective. There are people on here with 4 rejections. And I mean a rejection is going to annoy you, but swearing about how they are a bunch of idiots is not going to help. Yesterday, I helped Baki with his personal statement, giving constructive criticism. Today I helped an applicant at my college with their statement who is applying next year. I am giving my college my statement for their files to show to next years applicants and I'm giving a talk about the "realities of medicine" soon at a lunch group my college runs for vets, dentists and medics. Unlike someone has tried to claim earlier in the thread, I'm nhot trying to be a goddamn admissions tutor. I am, however, trying to get people with rational minds to get through this cycle and I'm trying to help people with the next cycle. It is TRUE. How can someone cope with medicine if they break down at the first sight of failure. I never said the previous poster was necessarily constantly going to be angry. I wanted to give them a taste of reality because I realise people are going to be very upset over their rejections, but seriously, it should be expected (I expected 4 anyway, and I still keep waking up thinking that it was all a dream) and I want people to realise that it's going to be a difficult route. Whether you have extenuating circumstances or not, nothing is guaranteed and universities often have a strange admissions run.

You can flame me all you want for this post but I'm not a bad person, I'm not insensitive or any of that, maybe too sensitive sometimes. However I'm going to give you the truth, not some load of crap about how everything will be ok, because it won't necessarily all be ok.

If it continues with all this I'm going to go for a bit as well. I came on this thread really optimistic and I was hoping I could enlighten people with the few things I do know, but perhaps not. Perhaps it will always be taken the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilipd)
    Look, my two cents.

We probably should have seen this coming. As much as it's lovely to pretend we're NOT all in competition with each other, it doesn't make it any less true. You get this many aspiring medics together, we form a society of sorts. From what I've pretty quietly observed, the expected has happened, and there have been a set of higher-profile members - who of course, got together and formed a family and have little in-jokes etc. Jokes if you're a part of it, but I suspect it might be less easy for others to swallow, as dilipd pointed out.

This has all erupted with the stress and shock of everyone hearing final decisions this week, which has been really rough. So I do understand why gm88 felt so inflamed by what Jessaay! said - it might have been a tiny bit soon to be getting sanctimonious on her, and the fact that Jess just got an offer from somewhere amazing probably didn't help gm88's ego at the time.

Nevertheless, the attack on Jessaay! by her was nowhere near warranted, she only said what she thought was right at the time, and none of it was untrue. Neither were the subsequent ones on gm88. You shout at someone, they'll shout back, and it might not be rational, because you've upset them/made them angry; people aren't remembering that.

I think we all need to take a breather, and a step back. Then maybe we can get this back on track, as it'd be a shame to not make it through to the end of the cycle

ReputationRep:
    Woah.

You lot are a .. hmm... funny bunch.

ReputationRep:
    you guys take all of this way too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Geez.

Why so serious?

ReputationRep:
    Okay - on a happier tangent, I have just accepted KCL Medicine as my firm. At the end of the cycle, this is my outcome:

Oxford: Interview, Rejection
    Imperial: Rejection
    KCL: Interview, Offer, FIRM
    SGUL: Interview, Offer, WITHDRAWAL
    UCL (English): Rejection

Friday 13th Feb = *I take a breather! *

ReputationRep:
    Congrats ADREAM!

Not gonna use SGUL as an "insurance" choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathryn128)
    This has all erupted with the stress and shock of everyone hearing final decisions this week, which has been really rough. So I do understand why gm88 felt so inflamed by what Jessaay! said - it might have been a tiny bit soon to be getting sanctimonious on her, and the fact that Jess just got an offer from somewhere amazing probably didn't help gm88's ego at the time.

Nevertheless, the attack on Jessaay! by her was nowhere near warranted, she only said what she thought was right at the time, and none of it was untrue. Neither were the subsequent ones on gm88. You shout at someone, they'll shout back, and it might not be rational, because you've upset them/made them angry; people aren't remembering that.
    I do understand where she was coming from. However she did ignore the fact I said that extenuating circumstances were another matter, and continued to judge me on me being narrow minded and immature. When actually, the fact I am probably the polar opposite to that and probably understand more about the situation she is in than she realises, even though I haven't experienced it myself, then I can say something I do feel is best. I mean, at least I was honest.

My brother went through an incredibly, incredibly difficult time during his application to university. I wouldn't go into it, but the fact is people around you can't just stay focussed on what may have caused you difficulties. Things that have been a big deal to you in your life can't always be considered by everyone, and I think my post showed that. People are treat as equals until they are known personally, especially in application processes like for universities, and this is unfortunate in her case, and unfortunate in the case of my brother. But it happens.

Thanks for acknowledging that I didn't deserve all I got though, I mean I have been treat like I'm some horrible monster, when I'd like to think, maybe people would disagree, that I'm anything but, and I want the best for everyone. I genuinely do. I have an amazing offer, and I'm truly grateful for that. But if I had the choice I'd try and get everyone I thought deserved a place a place too, I mean I wanted people at my other two interviews to do better than me. I'm not trying to be mother theresa or anything here, I just genuinely do like to see people succeed if they deserve it, so anything I say is something that shouldn't be taken as a huge offense.

ReputationRep:
    They ask for the same grades.

So there is no point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becreate)
    They ask for the same grades.

So there is no point.
    True. If it was me though id add it anyway, as it doesnt hurt, and may improve my chances of getting in if i slipped a grade from 1 in a million to 2 in a million. :P:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.