Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    S

What a great attitude to have. If you're not confident in your own skills, you can always try and **** on everyone else.

You know there are other kinds of people in the world than the nicey nicey brigade in this thread. Being mean doesn't necessarily indicate you aren't confident in your skills and assuming it does is stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    You know there are other kinds of people in the world than the nicey nicey brigade in this thread. Being mean doesn't necessarily indicate you aren't confident in your skills and assuming it does is stupid
    OMD!

ITS YOU!

ReputationRep:
    Back from Aberdeen - interview was okayish, I was only in for 10 minutes! Not sure if that is a good or bad sign, but I can only hope.

I don't suppose anybody knows much about how yeast cells absorb glucose? I'm really stuck on my biology coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone try an belittle everyone else, get them worked up and doubt their own abilities if he knew he was going to breeze through it himself?

I accept he probably did have a game plan, but that doesn't stop him being a complete ********. He could well end up with some of those people next year, and once he's got in what's his next plan? To act like it was a bit joke and hope everyone forgives him? I can't condone behaviour like that - it's unprofessional, pathetic and immature. Great doctoring traits.

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone try an belittle everyone else, get them worked up and doubt their own abilities if he knew he was going to breeze through it himself?

I accept he probably did have a game plan, but that doesn't stop him being a complete ********. He could well end up with some of those people next year, and once he's got in what's his next plan? To act like it was a bit joke and hope everyone forgives him? I can't condone behaviour like that - it's unprofessional, pathetic and immature. Great doctoring traits.
    sidewalkwhenshewalks GOT OWNED. :laugh:

And yes, I'm still 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    sidewalkwhenshewalks GOT OWNED. :laugh:

And yes, I'm still 12.
    Why thankyou. :top2:

Have to say it wasn't anywhere near as good a takedown as my argument with ADREAM way back when. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think there is any place for bullying (which is, let's face it, what he was trying to do) anywhere, especially not from somebody who has ambitions to be a medical professional. The sometimes ruthless attitudes portrayed by some applicants to try and get a place at medical school is inexcusable in my view. I would rather get 4 rejections than try to belittle everybody else; after all I want to get in for being good enough myself, not causing other people to underperform on the day.

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't screwing everybody else over, you aren't trying hard enough.
    He sounds like he had a game plan and he was executing it, and by unnerving one guy he is going to raise his chances of getting an offer.
    :rofl:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    I really don't think there is any place for bullying (which is, let's face it, what he was trying to do) anywhere, especially not from somebody who has ambitions to be a medical professional. The sometimes ruthless attitudes portrayed by some applicants to try and get a place at medical school is inexcusable in my view. I would rather get 4 rejections than try to belittle everybody else; after all I want to get in for being good enough myself, not causing other people to underperform on the day.
    yup, i completely agree. sadly, i think there are going to be people like that in medicine...as there are in any job, i suppose. but oh well, there's not much you can do, is there? apart from just not let them get to you, too much.

ReputationRep:

Because at this late stage it's a numbers game and anything he could do to nullify competition was the smart thing to do.

As for the what will he do next year point, i imagine he will go off and meet some of the other 200 + medical UGs and make friends, what are you going to do about it, ***** and tattle? Now who has bad qualities
    Which brings me neatly to my third point.

Who are you to say whether someone has the qualities to be a good doctor or not. Just because you've read the same list of good doctor qualities in guides and recommendations over and over it doesn't equip you to recognise them or the lack thereof in other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenifaar)
    yup, i completely agree. sadly, i think there are going to be people like that in medicine...as there are in any job, i suppose. but oh well, there's not much you can do, is there? apart from just not let them get to you, too much.
    Unfortunately so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    btw thanks everyone for the messages! I've done a bit of thinking and have now completely decided to take a gap year and give this another shot. I really hope I'll have some luck next time around!
    nice one! best of luck to you mate!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Because at this late stage it's a numbers game and anything he could do to nullify competition was the smart thing to do.

As for the what will he do next year point, i imagine he will go off and meet some of the other 200 + medical UGs and make friends, what are you going to do about it, ***** and tattle? Now who has bad qualities

Who are you to say whether someone has the qualities to be a good doctor or not. Just because you've read the same list of good doctor qualities in guides and recommendations over and over it doesn't equip you to recognise them or the lack thereof in other people
    Contradiction much? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenifaar)
    Contradiction much? :tongue:
    not bad qualities for a doctor. just generally bad ones. basically i was trying to circumvent calling him a ******** so i didn't get banned. which now i probably will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    nice one! best of luck to you mate!
    where are you going to med school? did you have your interview from manchester yet?

ReputationRep:
    where are you going to med school? did you have your interview from manchester yet?
    i'm not sure yet, i still haven't got any offers! hopefully Leeds if they realise how amazing i am :rolleyes:

my Manchester interview is in a couple of weeks actually. i'm really looking forward to the group session, as it should be a unique experience and will confirm if PBL really is for me.

ReputationRep:

If he was smart he'd know that once you're at an interview you have a 1 in 2 chance at getting an offer at Imperial.

Secondly, if he was confident in his abilities, he shouldn't be fazed by the competition. He wouldn't need to psyche out the other applicants(seeing as you know, confidence generally connotates a belief in your skills and your ability to succeed.) Which means he wouldn't need to rely on petty tactics (this is all assuming its a tactic).

Furthermore, if he was such a great applicant, why would a place like Birmingham which practically gives everyone offers reject him. Surely they didn't think he had the right attitude for a future doctor.

Regarding knowing the qualities of a good doctor. All I can say is that we've all been patients once in our life. The significance of this, is that this allows us to understand what "we" as a patient would want from our doctors (in terms of demeanour) because ultimately their goal is to serve us?

Finally, are you really trying to defend this guy (if he really was a smug as j.england said).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    Back from Aberdeen - interview was okayish, I was only in for 10 minutes! Not sure if that is a good or bad sign, but I can only hope.

I don't suppose anybody knows much about how yeast cells absorb glucose? I'm really stuck on my biology coursework.

That is a good sign! I was in for about 9, and came out with an unconditional a few weeks later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    That is a good sign! I was in for about 9, and came out with an unconditional a few weeks later!
    I was the last person of the day as well Thank you for reassuring me, but I still can't help thinking about all the things I said which made me look like a bit of a prat. I tried to seem as keen and enthusiastic as I could (I really like Aberdeen, so I am actually very keen I wasn't faking) but I'm just worried to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    If this guy already has an offer at oxford then why is he trying to belittle people for an offer at imperial.... they are both AAA... or did he want to feed his ego....?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.