Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Night guys x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    Yeah i kinda got a reputation in this thread for being stubborn and inflammatory. I realised i found the pointless flame wars were more amusing than the banal chat that usually happens so i started saying things that weren't even true to provoke people.
    sorry to disappoint
    Your imagination thinks you have more of an effect on the people of this thread than you do.

Tomorrow, we will again be talking about going stationery shopping and eating sweeties. You know, those sort of fluffy, happy, rainbow coloured things nicey-nicey people talk about. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Morals aren't something which matter in one situation more than another.

A moral is like a principle, based on your own sense of right or wrong. It is subjective rather than objective. If you have a certain moral, you will uphold it in almost any situation, unless it is a sort of case of life and death or something.

For example, a vegetarian is morally against the eating of meat. They wouldn't say "oh, now I'm in a situation where there is no magnetic field for my moral compass, I will eat this sausage!"
    Your version of analogy is invalid. The "magnetic field" is the feeling of guilt the vegetarian feels for violating their own rules
    i'll try to make it simple for you
    I am in a room. There are too buttons. i can press A to get £100 without penalty or B to get £100 which will administer a painful electrical shock to a person next door. No one can see me or will know my choice, i don't know the person and will never meet them. Why does it matter what i press. I don't care, no one else knows, it's irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    Your version of analogy is invalid. The "magnetic field" is the feeling of guilt the vegetarian feels for violating their own rules
    i'll try to make it simple for you
    I am in a room. There are too buttons. i can press A to get £100 without penalty or B to get £100 which will administer a painful electrical shock to a person next door. No one can see me or will know my choice, i don't know the person and will never meet them. Why does it matter what i press. I don't care, no one else knows, it's irrelevant
    :rolleyes:

My English teacher will be having a fit right now.

I'm bored of analogies anyway. But take it this way, when you're told to get a moral compass, it means get one of those feelings of empathy/guilt to be the magnetic field for your moral compass.

ReputationRep:
    jessaay don't bother. people like him will just keep doing what they do until one day someone does worse to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msaramago)
    jessaay don't bother. people like him will just keep doing what they do until one day someone does worse to them...
    :yep:

Aaah well. I have an offer AND I was nice to people at my interview. I WINZ. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    exactly nicey-nicey trumps evil doing anytime ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    He already had an offer from Oxford (and then whined about being rejected from Bham). Guess that's what he felt qualified him to have a dig at my College, because he's obviously going to be at a superior one. :rolleyes:

To be honest, it was enough to put me off Oxford.
    Come to Barts :awesome:

We have cookies :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    Because at this late stage it's a numbers game and anything he could do to nullify competition was the smart thing to do.

As for the what will he do next year point, i imagine he will go off and meet some of the other 200 + medical UGs and make friends, what are you going to do about it, ***** and tattle? Now who has bad qualities
    Which brings me neatly to my third point.

Who are you to say whether someone has the qualities to be a good doctor or not. Just because you've read the same list of good doctor qualities in guides and recommendations over and over it doesn't equip you to recognise them or the lack thereof in other people
    I guess people have different limits they'd go to to get into Medical School. Personally, I would never do more than I could for my own application. I would never bully, degrade, or upset other applicants to get that place. I actually regard such behaviour as weak and immoral. I guess some people just have more flexible moralities.

I wouldn't ***** about him, but he has changed my opinion of him right off the bat, and I would tell people if they asked what I thought about him. I just can't fathom how anyone would want to alienate an entire potential group of future colleagues without even knowing them.

You're right, of course none of us know for sure what makes a good doctor. But we can damn sure tell which characteristics don't. And the top of my list are immorality, rudeness and unprofessional. Nobody with those qualities would make a good Doctor, and that is incontrovertible.

It's a shame you only managed to go 2 posts with a coherent, reasoned argument before lapsing into personal attacks though, I almost expected better. What you did in this post was a perfect analogy to that guy - for whatever reasons you're worried about the quality of your points and so to try and defend them you insult me, hoping I get distracted by the insults and instead don't focus on your points. I think that the truth is you're so much like this guy it's scary, and it must be horrible to see how many other people regard you as a first class ****.

assume what you like. i got my offer.
    There is something that people on here fail to appreciate; I'm mean and petty, people don't like me but it doesn't matter. My whole life me (and many others) have been getting buy by cheating and being manipulative on a great deal less effort than all you people who believe in being honest and fair and good. but in september we will all be making a new start and to anyone who doesn't know either of us, we are on level footing; equally worthy. and that pisses you nicey nicey guys off, or at least it seems to
    I believe in being honest and fair because it's who I am, and I wouldn't want to be any other way. Sure, I could belittle and goad everyone else, but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror the next day. I'm glad it's not easy, as it separates people like me from people like you. Last year I would have been sorely tempted by your option - funny what difference a year makes isn't it?

And regarding personality and ethics, don't regard yourself as equal with any other person on here. Because you're not. You'll act all hissy at this post and pretend you don't care, but I think you probably do. And unless you change quick, it's going to catch you out somewhere along the line - and your cold, calculating demeanor won't be enough to save you that time.

What use are morals in the absence of any real consequences?
    It's all you have that defines you. It is intrinsically what you are - just a set of beliefs. If you're prepared to be a chameleon and change your morals based on what the situation desires, then that say more about you than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    Come to Barts :awesome:

We have cookies :cookie:
    Yum, tempting now I have to say.

(Separate post because I didn't think you deserved to be in the same post as that selfish, immature little boy).

ReputationRep:
    Do i have an invisible, non corporeal force that represents the "true me" residing somewhere below my 3rd rib that will live on after i die in a peaceful after life
    No.
    along with the everyone else
    Well! I know who to avoid at Manchester then...

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I cannot avoid Manchester except during term time.

I'll just take a stun gun wherever I go.

ReputationRep:

Constant vigilance is required, methinks.

ReputationRep:

I'm actually thinking of going to Manchester Uni.
    Lightsaber time...

ReputationRep:
    Thought some of you might be interested in the following link: Spamming league table

Interestingly Hygeia makes it into the top 15 despite not meeting the title's requirements :tongue:, ADREAM is second despite being banned for about 2 months, and I'm only trailing motiv3 by 2 posts! :eek:

Hats off to Jessaay!, Queen of the spammers though. :top2:

ReputationRep:
    Thought some of you might be interested in the following link: Spamming league table

Interestingly Hygeia makes it into the top 15 despite not meeting the title's requirements , ADREAM is second despite being banned for about 2 months, and I'm only trailing motiv3 by 2 posts!

Hats off to Jessaay!, Queen of the spammers though.
    I'm nowhere near the top really :redface:

I just like chatting with you all

ReputationRep:
    fantastic i'm 5th on the list! i liiiike it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I'm nowhere near the top really :redface:

I just like chatting with you all
    There's always time for you to improve. :tongue:

What's pretty shocking is how close I am to Baki, considering how much he used to spam everywhere! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I "technically" have 113 posts in here, but a load were with my different username. Damn.

ReputationRep:
    There's always time for you to improve.

What's pretty shocking is how close I am to Baki, considering how much he used to spam everywhere!
    True :p:

:woo: spam spam spam

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.