Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)
    I was told that my school that I attend disqualifies my eligibility for access/foundation courses, and so foolishly, I never even thought to look at anything but A100. Although, upon reading the BM6 criteria I meet most if not all of them (the area one I'm not sure on). Ah. Oh well, there's always next year if I don't get any offers for medicine this year!
    you do realise that foundation courses are a hell of a lot more competitive than the normal 5 yr degrees and there are only 2 schools that will allow you to do the foundation course even with science a levels. all of the others want non science subjects and bear in mind foundation courses have exteremely limited places. if you are unsuccessful this year you should still reapply to the 5 yr courses as you have a much better chance there and generally the foundation courses are designed for people who don't meet the criteria for the normal courses. with your predictions i would see a foundation year 0 as a complete waste of year and would want to get onto a 5 year course as soon as given that you're a very able student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Question about this track business-

What does it actually tell us? Is it just if you get an offer? Or is it for offers and interviews? Or is it for offers, interviews and acknowledgements?

I'm totally clueless :p:
    I'm pretty sure that it doesn't update for interviews, and that's done solely between the Uni and you. Seems a bit strange to me, but oh well...

As far as I am aware, Track only updates you of whether you have received an offer or been rejected. But I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm88)
    you do realise that foundation courses are a hell of a lot more competitive than the normal 5 yr degrees and there are only 2 schools that will allow you to do the foundation course even with science a levels. all of the others want non science subjects and bear in mind foundation courses have exteremely limited places. if you are unsuccessful this year you should still reapply to the 5 yr courses as you have a much better chance there and generally the foundation courses are designed for people who don't meet the criteria for the normal courses. with your predictions i would see a foundation year 0 as a complete waste of year and would want to get onto a 5 year course as soon as given that you're a very able student
    You don't know what my grades are. :p: But thank you for the excellent advice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    what will track actually tell us any time in the near future?
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    What does it actually tell us? Is it just if you get an offer? Or is it for offers and interviews? Or is it for offers, interviews and acknowledgements?
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure that track only updates to tell you when you have an offer, or if you've been rejected. Interviews, you should get an email or letter about, as far as I can tell...and acknowledgements the same. So in a way, i'm pretty worried about track updating anytime soon, because if it does for me, it'll probably be a rejection! I wish you could find out everything off it, but I suppose then I'd be more likely to get addicted to checking it...at the minute, I haven't really bothered to very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)
    well if you're still applying for medicine you're probably predicted aab at a2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)

and you have 7A*s at GCSE, cos your applying to Bham and must be predicted AAA rather than aab, orther wise youd be wating your app applying to those AAA places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    and you have 7A*s at GCSE, cos your applying to Bham
    so you are an extremely able candidate and a foundation course would be a waste of time for you. generally it is for those who have been predicted bs and cs at a level so the year 0 just goes over scince a level material with minimal extension. therefore you would be better off going directly for a standard course, if you are unsuccessful this year

ReputationRep:
    I'm not discussing my grades. I'd like to keep as anonymous as possible.

(Original post by gm88)
    so you are an extremely able candidate and a foundation course would be a waste of time for you. generally it is for those who have been predicted bs and cs at a level so the year 0 just goes over scince a level material with minimal extension. therefore you would be better off going directly for a standard course, if you are unsuccessful this year
    Yeah, I understand. Thank you.

Edit: to merge posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)
    I'm not discussing my grades. I'd like to keep as anonymous as possible.

The places you are applying enable us to make very accurate assumptions about both your A2 Predictions and GCSE grades.

Anonymity has no bearings in this subject.

ReputationRep:
    The places you are applying enable us to make very accurate assumptions about both your A2 Predictions and GCSE grades.

Anonymity has no bearings in this subject.
    Pardon?

There are other circumstances you're unaware of which I do not wish to discuss on a public forum. I'm aware you can guess what my grades are, that doesn't mean I still don't want to have a semblance of anonymity. (Grades aren't everything after all :wink2:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)
    Pardon?

There are other circumstances you're unaware of which I do not wish to discuss on a public forum. I'm aware you can guess what my grades are, that doesn't mean I still don't want to have a semblance of anonymity. (Grades aren't everything after all :wink2:)

LOL

i just wanted to make that statement it sounds soo cool.

and no they most certainly are not, but having good ones do help.

ReputationRep:
    and no they most certainly are not, but having good ones do help.
    Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at this i would like opinions please!!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post14888824

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger stripes)
    *rolls eyes*
    What's wrong with being optimisitic once in a while, eh? Just trying to lift everyone's spirits

ReputationRep:
    Realistic optimism is the best way forward :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What subjest is that for jjkkll? is it medical physics?

ReputationRep:
    hey does any 1 think its a good idea to become an organiser for the college's medical society, to help AS students with their application ??? .. i dnt think thers much resposnibility involved, cuz theres quite a few organisers, but i cant put it on my UCAS obviously ........??????

ReputationRep:
    Do it for the enjoyment, not for the credit! If you want to then sure go ahead.

P.S: I love scaryhair's optimism.

ReputationRep:
    lol optimism is good ...............................

sharing insecurities is ok too right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, better out than in most of the time. Mass hysteria isn't so great. :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.