Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Less than 100 posts untill this thread gets closed!
    less than 1000 actually :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    :lies:

That is all.
    The :security: guard begs to differ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    i'm sorry but Lost is absolutely rubbish. they spend 3 seasons trying to get off the island, and then they start protecting it? WTF? i gave up after season 3.
    it has the poorest storyline and never fails to bore, and this has been proven by the steady drop in its ratings after each season.
    i'd like to know what exactly you find good about it?
    Season 3 was interminable, granted. Season 4 more than made up for it, though.

As to them protecting, well no they weren't really. Some people realised that what they would be going back to was nothing, some were sheep, and some were goaded into following Locke, who has never tried to leave. But the headstrong ones still tried, and indeed, managed to leave the Island (although they've now returned :ninja:).

I like it for several reasons - it is one of the few shows I have ever watched where they've paid so much attention to detail in terms of character developments. For Heroes, it's a very superficial show and it shows as the characters are very much two dimensional, and it relies more on flashy effects than drama. With Lost, it's completely different. If you take away all the distractions, you've still got a brilliantly written and conceived drama, with characters you can really understand. With the introduction of flashbacks they really fleshed out every character, leaving me with a deep vested interest in them and how they were.

Another reason is the acting - it's really very good, and enables them to pull off the stranger twists almost believably. Coupled with the ridiculously high production values, it makes for a highly polished show that wouldn't look out of place on the big screen, as shown by the feature length finale of last season.

And the storyline may be bizarre, but I wouldn't call it poor. It was never meant to be totally believable, as shown with a lot of other JJ Abrams creations it represents a kind of dystopia. It has just the right blend of sci-fi and human drama that I want, and I find it enthralling. And while you may have qualms relating to a bigger picture, I don't think you could argue that it's very well written on a smaller level.

For me, they got the ideas down perfectly, holding up a mirror to how society has evolved. Strangers banded together to form a community, they designated leaders, organised food and water supplies, hoarded or healed. They made their own morality along the way, shaping every character in a way that has affected the development of everyone and not been cast aside. Then the group split, lines were drawn, hostages were taken, and it evolved further. Now they're reintroducing people back into the society, and I think that will bring it's own certain issues.

They are just some of the reasons why I love Lost. Sorry this was such a long post but I respect you, and felt you deserved a proper answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Damn, you caught that before i edited. :mad: Sneaky. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you caught that before i edited. :mad: Sneaky. :tongue:
    She's like a ninja :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you caught that before i edited. Sneaky.
    (i spend far too much time on this thread :shifty:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenifaar)
    See, I now wish i'd kept following Lost. I got bored somewhere between the end of series 2/start of series 3 when there were no real questions getting answered...but now, people keep telling me how good it's got! Heroes though...I used to love that but ended ujp missing it every week 'cause it was on at a bad time...but I heard it's not so good now? And they're just drawing out the story to ridiculous extents? Is that true? Cos if so, not so gutted I stopped watching that one, too!

But still...one day...or...week...or however long it would take, i'm going to sit down and watch the boxsets in their entirety. Oooh yes.
    Lost has turned exceptional again.

Heroes went from an epic first season to some of the worst TV I've ever had the misfortune to watch, but finally (and I emphasise finally) it's come back much darker and all the better for it. But it came at a price - they basically ripped up every character profile a while back and they did whatever the hell they wanted, so it feels like a completely new show with this revitalisation.

ReputationRep:
    What will we do after lockdown?
    UCAS chat mark II?
    Or should we aptly name it:
    'Medic spam thread'?

ReputationRep:
    I've been relegated from wingman now as well? :cry:

I want to be :king1: for once :cry:
    That's why I said Iceman - you get to compete for first. :p:

Aye boss :yeah:
    Thought you might like that analogy.

ReputationRep:
    She's like a ninja :ninja:
    :ninjagirl: Better

(i spend far too much time on this thread :shifty:)
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    UCAS chat mark II?
    'Medic spam thread'?
    I'm all for a Mk II, else the sneaky mods will know that the thread is only for spamming :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I call dibs on opening the MK II thread! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    UCAS chat mark II?
    'Medic spam thread'?
    Im liking Medic spam thread. Very fitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I call dibs on opening the MK II thread! :awesome:
    The person who posts last opens the next thread. Tis the law :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for a Mk II, else the sneaky mods will know that the thread is only for spamming :tongue:
    Is it really that secret?
    We spent the last 3 pages fighting over smileys!
    It is almost as bad as chat!

ReputationRep:
    Must....get...final...post

ReputationRep:
    Is it really that secret?
    We spent the last 3 pages fighting over smileys!
    It is almost as bad as chat!
    So we have to be careful not to end up in chat

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****. Just realised I made a serious, long post about something on this thread, of all places. (albeit about lost :p:)

Won't happen again guys, you have my word. :flute:

ReputationRep:
    I call dibs on last post. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    So we have to be careful not to end up in chat
    true :holmes:
    :tong:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.