The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9100
Alex L
I'm all for a Mk II, else the sneaky mods will know that the thread is only for spamming

I don't think UCAS chat thread works considering UCAS will be over relatively soon and we spam this place up just as much as everyone else :p:
jonnyofengland
Holy ****. Just realised I made a serious, long post about something on this thread, of all places. (albeit about lost :p:)

Won't happen again guys, you have my word. :flute:

Good, else you can GTFO!

(That's right I just threatened to kick you out of your own thread :tongue: )
Alex L
The person who posts last opens the next thread. Tis the law :yep:

You know what's going to happen. Its going to get to 9998 posts and the thread will die. No one'll dare post.
Reply 9103
jonnyofengland
I call dibs on last post.

jonnyofengland
Season 3 was interminable, granted. Season 4 more than made up for it, though.

As to them protecting, well no they weren't really. Some people realised that what they would be going back to was nothing, some were sheep, and some were goaded into following Locke, who has never tried to leave. But the headstrong ones still tried, and indeed, managed to leave the Island (although they've now returned :ninja:).

I like it for several reasons - it is one of the few shows I have ever watched where they've paid so much attention to detail in terms of character developments. For Heroes, it's a very superficial show and it shows as the characters are very much two dimensional, and it relies more on flashy effects than drama. With Lost, it's completely different. If you take away all the distractions, you've still got a brilliantly written and conceived drama, with characters you can really understand. With the introduction of flashbacks they really fleshed out every character, leaving me with a deep vested interest in them and how they were.

Another reason is the acting - it's really very good, and enables them to pull off the stranger twists almost believably. Coupled with the ridiculously high production values, it makes for a highly polished show that wouldn't look out of place on the big screen, as shown by the feature length finale of last season.

And the storyline may be bizarre, but I wouldn't call it poor. It was never meant to be totally believable, as shown with a lot of other JJ Abrams creations it represents a kind of dystopia. It has just the right blend of sci-fi and human drama that I want, and I find it enthralling. And while you may have qualms relating to a bigger picture, I don't think you could argue that it's very well written on a smaller level.

For me, they got the ideas down perfectly, holding up a mirror to how society has evolved. Strangers banded together to form a community, they designated leaders, organised food and water supplies, hoarded or healed. They made their own morality along the way, shaping every character in a way that has affected the development of everyone and not been cast aside. Then the group split, lines were drawn, hostages were taken, and it evolved further. Now they're reintroducing people back into the society, and I think that will bring it's own certain issues.

They are just some of the reasons why I love Lost. Sorry this was such a long post but I respect you, and felt you deserved a proper answer.

and here i was expecting a short snappy comeback.

you make good points actually, and i agree that they do act well. especially locke, i used to find him quite inspirational as a character ("don't tell me what i can't do" - what a phrase). and i suppose they had to prolong the show because they did plan to do 7 seasons, so they couldn't have just got off the island at the end of S3.

it's not bad, i'll give you that, but it just isn't my cup of tea anymore.
jonnyofengland
Holy ****. Just realised I made a serious, long post about something on this thread, of all places. (albeit about lost :p:)

Won't happen again guys, you have my word. :flute:

We did last night about the wiki etc.
We should probably not make it a habit though.
Otherwise TSR might get fill with ultra smart supermedics which would be scary
Hygeia
I don't think UCAS chat thread works considering UCAS will be over relatively soon and we spam this place up just as much as everyone else :p:

But I can't see them going for a medics spam thread somehow. I vote we all go to the 2010 thread :tongue:
Reply 9107
Alex L
So we have to be careful not to end up in chat :wink:

Yeah. Spamming in Chat would just not be the same. It wouldn't have the same...illicit charm...that spamming here does.
lmao.
Alex L
Good, else you can GTFO!

Already have to me :sad:
Alex L
Good, else you can GTFO!

Like I said, no more sensible things from me. I don't joke about Lost though - it gets so much bad press I feel the need to explain why I like it as much as I have to validate why I want to study Medicine. :rolleyes:
jenifaar
Yeah. Spamming in Chat would just not be the same. It wouldn't have the same...illicit charm...that spamming here does.

Exactly. And I thought I told you to up your game, this must be your first post in about 10 pages :tongue: (and 20mins :redface:)
Hygeia

You've said many a time that people can't spam in your threads. Kinda defeats the point, doncha think? :hmmm:
crazylemon
Already have to me :sad:

That's cause you is a tealeaf :wink:
Alex L
But I can't see them going for a medics spam thread somehow. I vote we all go to the 2010 thread :tongue:

Lets try and get ADREAMS thread locked before he returns!
3 weeks, can we manage it?
jonnyofengland
You've said many a time that people can't spam in your threads. Kinda defeats the point, doncha think? :hmmm:

Amen to that brother :five:
Alex L
That's cause you is a tealeaf :wink:

Tealeaf? :confused:
Reply 9117
jonnyofengland
You've said many a time that people can't spam in your threads. Kinda defeats the point, doncha think?

lol, fair point - but i did say that not all my threads are 'no chat' threads

maybe, whoever the medicine minimod ends up being should start the new thread (if we've found out by then, and of course if it's someone who posts in here... maybe that idea won't work so well :p:)
crazylemon
Tealeaf? :confused:

Cockney rhyming - thief :tongue:
Reply 9119
Alex L
Exactly. And I thought I told you to up your game, this must be your first post in about 10 pages :tongue: (and 20mins :redface:)

You want spam, you'll get spam!

(Really, the truth is I just can't keep up...I think I need to ditch multitasking and concentrate fully on this...I'm about 5 pages behind everyone else! :eek3: :tongue: )

Latest

Trending

Trending