Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    @ADREAM, ooer. at least you got them in the end though! although if that had happened to me i would've gone psycho on the desk woman

urghh. that's terrible. can you imagine if they did that with the bmat? i'd be their doors with a pitchfork, or something. even though i'm not applying to oxford.

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone feeling on it at the moment? Is there anyone happy with their situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    How's everyone feeling on it at the moment? Is there anyone happy with their situation?
    Just found out that I've got a conditional offer from Nottingham for my 5th choice :woo: . Big morale boost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    Just found out that I've got a conditional offer from Nottingham for my 5th choice :woo: . Big morale boost
    Nice, well done! My 5th choice hasn't even been received by a Durham college.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, well done! My 5th choice hasn't even been received by a Durham college.
    No worries, you'll get an offer :top:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i am
    just getting ready for manchester interview and as it is my favorite realistic choice, and i have a good feeling about it i don't really need to worry about the other choices because this is where i want to go and i think will get in.
    yum incoherent

ReputationRep:
    Not very happy but a lot of you already know that I tend to exaggerate and stress out when I shouldn't be. I don't really know what else I can do to be honest. I've spoke to someone in their first year of med school from TSR and they managed to relate their experiences to how I'm feeling now. I think the best thing for me and a few of you still waiting for your first (hopeful) interview is to concentrate on school work because really, exams aren't that far off the corner. I'd rather get the grades and receive straight rejections than end up worrying and then suddenly get an interview and offer to then miss the grades due to lack of concentration...etc throughout the year. I must admit I have been reading over my personal statement again and again, trying to identify any weaknesses or areas which I could have reflected more on. All I can say is I've done the best I can and I'll have to wait as much as it's a pain to not find any post or e-mail every time I check each day. I am a bit worried I haven't heard from QMUL for BioMed either. I guess I picked a dodgy one for that too. I was going to go for either Warwick, Sheffield or King's for BioMed as my back-up but then thought I'd choose QMUL since I liked both QMUL and Barts when I went to the open day.

I would be gutted if I got rejected without interview from UCL and King's but I feel that this may be the case based purely on my dodgy performance in the BMAT and UKCAT respectively alongside what may have ended up being a bog standard personal statement. I guess we'll see soon. At least I'll hear some sort of news when BMAT results come out, or at least something to expect.

I've got to think positive though and hey, it's only November. There's still a good couple of months left to hear something, right? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I've got to think positive though and hey, it's only November. There's still a good couple of months left to hear something, right? :o:
    Absolutely! Most places interview right up until March, some even stretch to April. There's plenty of time.

Sit tight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Not very happy but a lot of you already know that I tend to exaggerate and stress out when I shouldn't be. I don't really know what else I can do to be honest. I've spoke to someone in their first year of med school from TSR and they managed to relate their experiences to how I'm feeling now. I think the best thing for me and a few of you still waiting for your first (hopeful) interview is to concentrate on school work because really, exams aren't that far off the corner. I'd rather get the grades and receive straight rejections than end up worrying and then suddenly get an interview and offer to then miss the grades due to lack of concentration...etc throughout the year. I must admit I have been reading over my personal statement again and again, trying to identify any weaknesses or areas which I could have reflected more on. All I can say is I've done the best I can and I'll have to wait as much as it's a pain to not find any post or e-mail every time I check each day. I am a bit worried I haven't heard from QMUL for BioMed either. I guess I picked a dodgy one for that too. I was going to go for either Warwick, Sheffield or King's for BioMed as my back-up but then thought I'd choose QMUL since I liked both QMUL and Barts when I went to the open day.

I would be gutted if I got rejected without interview from UCL and King's but I feel that this may be the case based purely on my dodgy performance in the BMAT and UKCAT respectively alongside what may have ended up being a bog standard personal statement. I guess we'll see soon. At least I'll hear some sort of news when BMAT results come out, or at least something to expect.

This will probably annoy you, but you need to try and calm down a bit
    I am pretty much in the same position as you (apart from having my backup offer already) and you simply have to wait. By no means does it mean you won't get into med. school if you don't already have an interview. It's early days and all universities will be interviewing up until March! You just have to wait and concentrate on school work as you said..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

how are your academic grades, gcse, as, ukcat, etc? you can still cancel your queen mary biomed choice if you want and substitute it for perhaps kings, who have given MANY, MANY people in my school biomed offers with quite bad personal statements and average/quite bad academic results!
    only an idea though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    how are your academic grades, gcse, as, ukcat, etc? you can still cancel your queen mary biomed choice if you want and substitute it for perhaps kings, who have given MANY, MANY people in my school biomed offers with quite bad personal statements and average/quite bad academic results!
    only an idea though...
    Well I posted this in the other thread where you asked initially so here it is again if you missed it:

GCSEs: A* A* A* A* A* A A A A
    AS: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Computing and Maths)
    UKCAT: 605

I was under the impression that you couldn't change any of your choices past 14 days of receiving the welcome letter. Oh well, there's no point me worrying out BioMed. I'm only using it as a last resort if I end up getting shocking grades next summer. Otherwise I'd end up reapplying the year after with my grades in hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Well I posted this in the other thread where you asked initially so here it is again if you missed it:

GCSEs: A* A* A* A* A* A A A A
    AS: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Computing and Maths)
    UKCAT: 605

I was under the impression that you couldn't change any of your choices past 14 days of receiving the welcome letter. Oh well, there's no point me worrying out BioMed. I'm only using it as a last resort if I end up getting shocking grades next summer. Otherwise I'd end up reapplying the year after with my grades in hand.
    well, on my ucas form somehow you still can! oh, i saw the other post (there's a reply there too).
    same - if i don't get into medicine this year, i probably wouldn't take my 5th choice and just re-apply next year and work a hell of a lot harder!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    well, on my ucas form somehow you still can! oh, i saw the other post (there's a reply there too).
    same - if i don't get into medicine this year, i probably wouldn't take my 5th choice and just re-apply next year and work a hell of a lot harder!
    Ah I hope it goes well for you, you'll probably be posting within the next few days to say you have an offer at King's! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Ah I hope it goes well for you, you'll probably be posting within the next few days to say you have an offer at King's! :p:
    Good luck to you too!
    Kings? Oh, I really really do hope so.... the wait is K.I.L.L.I.N.G. ME!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I will inevitably get negged or slated for this but oh well,
    There are lots of people on this board saying "Don't worry about it, concentrate on school no point stressing don't want to miss the grades"etcetera, but really, to meet the needs of a course as academically demanding as medicine, A levels really shouldn't be taking up too much of your time or effort (and they never should have). Also, we have sat AS levels, and we largely know what to expect from these kinds of exams, whereas (again mostly) we have never had a medical school interview and should be putting more effort into preparing for it. People say what is the point of having an offer if you don't get the grades, but if you aren't confident (even secretly deep down as so many falsely modest people are) that you are going to get AAA(A), or can't handle the stress of the application process then you should GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless if that was aimed at me or not, I think what you've just said is too idealistic, unrealistic and naïve. Despite getting AAAA at AS, I’m not definitely sure I’ll end up with the exact same result this time next year with the way I’m going right now. I will undoubtedly try hard as everyone else will and it is perfectly within my reach of achieving such grades, but it’s a bit deluded to simply assume you will get those grades without any struggle at least. Oh and on the stress of the application procedure? It’s on the forefront of my mind when I wake up and when I go to sleep not just because I’m anxious, worried or ‘stressed’ – it’s because this is something I will not take for granted. I know that if I got an interview, I wouldn’t moan or complain let alone think about rescheduling it, I’d do myself justice in that room and deliver just why I care about it so much. It’s appalling how you could come out with something like that – it’s fine for you to say that since you’re riding on one interview already so have a little bit of decency and think of it from my perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    There are lots of people on this board saying "Don't worry about it, concentrate on school no point stressing don't want to miss the grades"etcetera, but really, to meet the needs of a course as academically demanding as medicine, A levels really shouldn't be taking up too much of your time or effort (and they never should have). Also, we have sat AS levels, and we largely know what to expect from these kinds of exams, whereas (again mostly) we have never had a medical school interview and should be putting more effort into preparing for it. People say what is the point of having an offer if you don't get the grades, but if you aren't confident (even secretly deep down as so many falsely modest people are) that you are going to get AAA(A), or can't handle the stress of the application process then you should GTFO.
    Now, I'm not sure of the difficulty of A levels, but I do know that Advanced Highers are set at the same standard of University Education, and we are allowed to work hard at these and not breeze through them. A lot of people tell me Medicine isn't a hard degree, just very demanding in the sheer workload. So no, you GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at Liverpool and i feel kind of guilty for ranting as some people on here have not heard from any of their choices..
    But i feel as if this is my ONLY chance and i'm generally not confident with interviews.. Right now i'm really really worried!
    Also, people on here have said that practically everyone who has applied to Liverpool has got an interview.. which is kind of depressing so i don't think gaining an interview at Liverpool is much of an achievement..
    I really really want just ONE more interview, but feel this is practically impossible with my mediocre AS grades and UKCAT. I guess i'm just going through a really pessimisstic phase.

Anyway, moan over. Can only do my best.
    Good luck to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Regardless if that was aimed at me or not, I think what you've just said is too idealistic, unrealistic and naïve. Despite getting AAAA at AS, I’m not definitely sure I’ll end up with the exact same result this time next year with the way I’m going right now. I will undoubtedly try hard as everyone else will and it is perfectly within my reach of achieving such grades, but it’s a bit deluded to simply assume you will get those grades without any struggle at least. Oh and on the stress of the application procedure? It’s on the forefront of my mind when I wake up and when I go to sleep not just because I’m anxious, worried or ‘stressed’ – it’s because this is something I will not take for granted. I know that if I got an interview, I wouldn’t moan or complain let alone think about rescheduling it, I’d do myself justice in that room and deliver just why I care about it so much. It’s appalling how you could come out with something like that – it’s fine for you to say that since you’re riding on one interview already so have a little bit of decency and think of it from my perspective.
    Well said, you should be putting effort into both, but not put in sooooo much effort into one and result in harms the other.

Though I have to say, in the end the grades do matter a little bit more as it gives you another chance to apply again the year after, but that being said just that won´t get you in.

I´m feeling alright, but being in Mexico has really thrown me off what time of year it is lol. Feel like I´ve been here for ages and it´s so warm so doesn´t feel like it´s getting close-ish to Christmas. It´s weird to see Christmas trees about in really hot weather...

I have yet to prepare for my interview(s) as well :/ Makes me worry slightly inside when so many people seem to be getting interviews but then I remind myself it´s still only November and I did write in my PS that I´m not around this month...

Hope everyone else is good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)

The best made plans often go awry.

You can be silently confident at getting the grades, but ultimately its not as easy as you think, and to sit their and think "A Levels are piss easy".
    A Levels are not easy, its not like learning your times tables, at A2 we are covering new content which needs to be understood and remember. (More Remembering for biology).
    And you'll be a great medic seeing as you clearly have no idea about how psychology affects the human body and mind. It is only human to stress about things you have No control over, if your not stressed by the medical application process then your not very human. And stress invariable leads to self doubt and anxiety about every part of your application, even if you ware Einstein which i can guarantee none of us are.

And People who get AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at A2 are more likely to struggle through yr 1 of medical school as you go in with the mind set of "I got a million As at A2 how hard could this be?" Medicine is not harder conceptually but it is straining and difficult to learn details about the Entire Human Anatomy and Biochemistry, Good Health as well as what goes wrong, how to fix it and how to communicate to people.

And those with amazing grades will also go into their first year as arrogant *******s who think they know everything, again another No,No.

Mostly cos all the normal medics will either hate you or Stab you, or both.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.