The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
motiv3
yeah thts what i said to him. However, i think he really regrets it now but then again he seems happy knowing hes got a gap year ahead of him and when he applies he will have the grades in hand so i think he hasn't gained or lost anything.

guess what? a boy in my school has applied for economics at lse and 4 other top uni's, but says now that if he doesn't get into lse he'll take a gap year out and ... wait for it... apply for medicine because his MUM WANTS HIM TO!Isn't that just damn right weird?!?
Reply 1861
ADREAM
guess what? a boy in my school has applied for economics at lse and 4 other top uni's, but says now that if he doesn't get into lse he'll take a gap year out and ... wait for it... apply for medicine because his MUM WANTS HIM TO!Isn't that just damn right weird?!?

well im not surprised. Many of wannabee doctors (not saying everyone is) decide to do medicine not because they want to. Many cultures consider Medicine or Engineering to be the bread and butter of careers and only them two careers are deemed 'fit' in the sense that they are reputable. I just hope that those with such attitudes are filtered out during the interview process. But then again I wonder...when do you ever know medicine is for you? Most people only consider medicine after gaining the top-notch grades or being exposed to medicine due to relatives in a medical career. Its quite difficult to know what medicine truely is in my opinion without having a helping hand from relatives.
ADREAM

At my school we get assigned a mentor, yes, sad I know. My mentor is a Law teacher, and when I said I'd applied to Medical School, she explained that her parents told her when she started her GCSEs, that she was going into Law/Medicine :eek:

Alot of kids get pressured into Law/Medicine/Engineering...
Reply 1863
Kinkerz
At my school we get assigned a mentor, yes, sad I know. My mentor is a Law teacher, and when I said I'd applied to Medical School, she explained that her parents told her when she started her GCSEs, that she was going into Law/Medicine :eek:

That's really REALLY quite shocking ... unnecessary pressure for a certain career I think just makes matters all the more worse.... both form them, the parents AND us applicants who actually WANT to do medicine and can't see us doing anything else!
scaryhair
Sorry to put a downer on things but I need to get this out somewhere.
My personal life is so **** at the moment and I'm feeling really down. Me and my boyfriend are on the rocks, and I pretty much feel worthless. I'm dreading college tomorrow just because I'm so tearful at the mo, and I hate crying in front of people, even though that's exactly what will happen if anyone asks what is up tomorrow.
I'm so tired, and I don't feel as if I've had the chance to get into the swing of things at college yet. Got a letter yesterday with all the exam dates on it and I just don't feel as if I'm ever going to be prepared enough for the January exams.
After the interview yesterday, it's really put a new light on how rubbish I did at BSMS. Expecting a rejection in the post in the next two weeks doesn't make me feel that great either :frown:

:console: :hugs:

Cheer up! :smile: I´m sure things will get better for you. Everyone goes through a rough phase now and then, just gotta get through it!

About exams and such, you´ll soon get into it, it´s still only November so you have some time to get your mind round it.

Forget about your interview for now, it doesn´t help to dwell on it, and I find that people usually do better than they think in them! After an interview (or exam) you usually think why didn´t I do this or that, but that´s normal, I´m sure you did you best you could at the time! Hope you get an offer from them! :smile:

Hope you feel better soon :smile:
scaryhair
My personal life is so **** at the moment and I'm feeling really down. Me and my boyfriend are on the rocks, and I pretty much feel worthless. I'm dreading college tomorrow just because I'm so tearful at the mo, and I hate crying in front of people, even though that's exactly what will happen if anyone asks what is up tomorrow.
I'm so tired, and I don't feel as if I've had the chance to get into the swing of things at college yet. Got a letter yesterday with all the exam dates on it and I just don't feel as if I'm ever going to be prepared enough for the January exams.
After the interview yesterday, it's really put a new light on how rubbish I did at BSMS. Expecting a rejection in the post in the next two weeks doesn't make me feel that great either :frown:

If it helps I'm feeling exactly the same so you're not alone :smile: I guess it's just a stressful time generally.
scaryhair

How you are feeling is to be expected. Remember that you are under a lot of stress and when you are tired, it is more difficult to be rational. Also, you will be mixing up your feelings/stresses about different things and projecting how you feel about one thing on to another. I think you should, as you say, get some rest this weekend. Maybe see some friends and try and have a day (or at least a few hours of fun). Treat yourself.

You cannot know how you did on the interview. You will just have to wait and let them decide. The ball is now in their court, after you made a very good effort. Sometimes crying and having a breakdown will make you feel better, so do not resist it. Just try and do it somewhere not so public!

Good luck to you! I am sure you will be brilliant. The schools have been very impressed by your application, as evidenced by these early interviews you have had. Just try and focus on one thing at a time.
Got an offer from my fifth choice yesterday. :smile:

By the way, does anybody know how we receive our BMAT results? Is it by post, in school or on a website? I'd ask my school's examinations officer, but quite frankly I'd be better off asking this tasty ham sandwich in front of me.
Reply 1868
You get them from your tasty ham sandwich I think.

Well, your examinations officer.
So I noticed that I can actually add a 5th choice to my application. I was unsure about doing it when I applied, because I have some backup plans about medicine in Sweden or somewhere else. But now I was thinking of adding Physiological Sciences in Newcastle? Good idea?
Kinkerz

How did your Keele interview go? :smile:
Were there other people there to be interviewed and do you have any idea of the numbers they have interviewed so far?

Best of luck :smile:
Danielisew
How did your Keele interview go? :smile:
Were there other people there to be interviewed and do you have any idea of the numbers they have interviewed so far?

Best of luck :smile:

Hard to say really. I think it could go either way to be honest, but obviously I'm hoping for an offer! It would be a pleasant surprise getting an offer, and a nasty surprise getting a rejection; although I reckon both are possibilities...

Yeah there was quite a few people being interviewed. I was quite surprised really. There were three panles and people being interviewed every 30 minutes throughout the day. You do the maths :wink:

I reckon they've probably interviewed a third of the 400 that get interviewed, or will have done so by the end of November/December. I think they'll interview the rest after January exams, up until March/April.

All the best.
I have a King's interview guys!!! :biggrin:

I'm so relieved, it's ridiculous. I was praying I'd get an interview before I got a rejection. It was my risk choice, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be okay.

Scaryhair, have lots of chocolate and rubbish films and sleep this weekend, I think you might just need an extended rest. Don't talk to anyone, and don't worry too much about the BF, just think things through with yourself. Then you can approach next week with a clear plan (of sorts) of what you want to get done, feel better :smile:
Kathryn128
I have a King's interview guys!!! :biggrin:

I'm so relieved, it's ridiculous. I was praying I'd get an interview before I got a rejection. It was my risk choice, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be okay.
I'm well chuffed for you, well done!

Did you just get the e-mail right now or did you get a letter?
!MEna

Thank you again!

Email this mid-morning. I think King's email you first, because they said I'd be getting an interview pack in the post.
!MEna

Congratulations on your biodmedical science offer!
Reply 1876
scaryhair

:hugs: i'm sorry about you and your boyfriend. that really sucks; you don't need that kind of tension right at this minute! but i have to say, i don't know anyone in our situation who isn't on the rocks with relationships right now, so you're not alone in this. i think it'll be much easier once the whole UCAS shindig is out of the way.
and i know that you feel rubbish and want to sleep or cry; me too. it's appalling, i burst into tears in the car on the way home yesterday and started babbling on about rubbish! believe me, we're all in the same boat here, and you shouldn't feel like you're dampening the mood because i'm pretty sure we're all like that right now! the cure i've discovered is lots of ice cream and gossiping, and sleeping. does wonders for the soul.
and re: bsms, it's the i've-finished-an-interview-and-all-i-can-remember-is-the-bad-parts syndrome. we all have it. you will be absolutely fine; in any case, if bsms don't give you an offer, they're off their heads and have bad taste. i'm sure your newcastle interview went superbly and you will be fine. :smile:
Reply 1877
lotusx
:hugs: i'm sorry about you and your boyfriend. that really sucks; you don't need that kind of tension right at this minute! but i have to say, i don't know anyone in our situation who isn't on the rocks with relationships right now, so you're not alone in this. i think it'll be much easier once the whole UCAS shindig is out of the way.
and i know that you feel rubbish and want to sleep or cry; me too. it's appalling, i burst into tears in the car on the way home yesterday and started babbling on about rubbish! believe me, we're all in the same boat here, and you shouldn't feel like you're dampening the mood because i'm pretty sure we're all like that right now! the cure i've discovered is lots of ice cream and gossiping, and sleeping. does wonders for the soul.
and re: bsms, it's the i've-finished-an-interview-and-all-i-can-remember-is-the-bad-parts syndrome. we all have it. you will be absolutely fine; in any case, if bsms don't give you an offer, they're off their heads and have bad taste. i'm sure your newcastle interview went superbly and you will be fine. :smile:

good advice... i agree!!!! :smile:
plus, it's the same with everyone scaryhair... a friend of mine was like crying in school about this whole medicine ucas thingy - he hasn't heard about any interviews yet, so perhaps be quite proud that AT LEAST you had one and you tried - which is more than can be said for most!
cheer up ... it'll make you feel so good!
ADREAM
good advice... i agree!!!!

plus, it's the same with everyone scaryhair... a friend of mine was like crying in school about this whole medicine ucas thingy - he hasn't heard about any interviews yet, so perhaps be quite proud that AT LEAST you had one and you tried - which is more than can be said for most!

cheer up ... it'll make you feel so good!

lotusx
and i know that you feel rubbish and want to sleep or cry; me too. it's appalling, i burst into tears in the car on the way home yesterday and started babbling on about rubbish!

I can't tell you how good it feels to find out I'm not alone in this:smile: Nice to know everyone else isn't breezing through this whole thing with the utmost confidence : Friends applying for non-medicine courses just can't grasp the situation- they don't really seem to understand, but I can't blame them! Good luck everyone, and congrats to everyone who's had interviews, I'm sure you all did wonderfully :biggrin:

(there's my mini-rant out of the way..I'm sure another one is on its way)
Reply 1879
Donc, je suis.
I can't tell you how good it feels to find out I'm not alone in this:smile: Nice to know everyone else isn't breezing through this whole thing with the utmost confidence : Friends applying for non-medicine courses just can't grasp the situation- they don't really seem to understand, but I can't blame them! Good luck everyone, and congrats to everyone who's had interviews, I'm sure you all did wonderfully :biggrin:

(there's my mini-rant out of the way..I'm sure another one is on its way)

my god, if there's someone like that out there applying for medicine, someone who's had absolutely no self doubt whatsoever, i would very much like to a)hit them and b)learn their secret.

Latest

Trending

Trending