The Student Room Group

Anyone done done a fine arts degree or any sort of art degree?

I was wondering if there was anyone who has done an art degree. I am into abstract and contemporary art and was wondering if there was any point in getting a degree.
Is it more about the people u meet and links from the university yourself or what u learn?
What career will you get with it that will actually pay back the student loan / at the very least give you a higher salary than you'd earn without the degree (taking into account you're earning nothing for the atleast 3 years it takes also)

Sometimes an interest/hobby is better confined to a hobby
Original post by NoIdea2021
I was wondering if there was anyone who has done an art degree. I am into abstract and contemporary art and was wondering if there was any point in getting a degree.
Is it more about the people u meet and links from the university yourself or what u learn?

Hi there,

My name is Lauren and I am a second year Animation Student at Plymouth College of Art. I was in the same position as you a few years ago, where I adored studying GCSE Fine Art and I wanted to do it as a career, but didn't know whether it would give me enough job stability. I later learned about how huge the Animation industry is (projected to reach US $270 billion by the end of this year) and I realised that I could make a steady career out of my artistic abilities and passion. The creative sector is the fastest-growing part of the UK economy, contributing £91.8 billion each year, so it is a big misconception that there aren't any jobs in the creative industries!

In terms of whether an arts degree is valuable, this is definitely something that is personal. If you want to pursue an artistic career, then absolutely - a degree is incredibly valuable - just as other options are valuable too, such as apprenticeships, internships, or work placements, etc. To answer your last question, it is both about the people you meet and the networking links you acquire at Uni, as well as what you learn. They're both incredibly important and it's something that makes a degree worthwhile, as when you study at degree level you're encouraged to network and build up a professional reputation for yourself, as well as really develop your creative skill set and find your style.

Have you considered studying at Plymouth College of Art? You may find some degrees that you perhaps haven't considered yet, which could appeal to you as an artist. If you're keen about abstract and contemporary art, you may find our Fine Art, Painting Drawing & Print Making, Illustration, Printed Textile Design & Surface Pattern, or Graphic Communications courses interesting. Each course offers a different career path and opportunities for employment, so it may be worth looking at careers websites such as Prospects and looking at what each course can bring you in terms of job opportunities. I personally think it's important to pick a degree that you thoroughly enjoy doing, but also keeping in mind what jobs you may want in the future. I am incredibly glad that I chose Animation and I am very excited for my career!

I hope this helps!
Lauren :smile:
Student Ambassador and Second Year Animation Student

Quick Reply

Latest