The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Central Saint Martins

Im 20 and trying to get into fashion design menswear at CSM for 2021/2022 but didnt do any creative subject as alevels or gcses.
Are there any ways of working around it through fashion apprenticeships or programs which will help my application.
Original post by NoIdea2021
Im 20 and trying to get into fashion design menswear at CSM for 2021/2022 but didnt do any creative subject as alevels or gcses.
Are there any ways of working around it through fashion apprenticeships or programs which will help my application.

Hi @NoIdea2021,

In order to apply for this course you will need to do an art and design foundation course (or equivalent). It is one of the entry requirements and its extremely unlikely you will get an offer if you've not done this type of course or an equivalent. In order to do a foundation, you will still need a portfolio of work to show your creative skills and ability. Most students will have taken a creative A level course that enables them to develop the work. If you've not done that, you will need to look for things like short courses where you can build this up. Many places, including UAL offer creative short courses - some are specifically aimed at developing a portfolio, so perhaps look at that. If you've done creative work outside of an academic environment, you can also include this work, but we would expect to see course work as well. Fashion apprenticeships may be hard to find, particularly as many students who are studying fashion will also be looking to take these opportunities.

We have a few videos with more advice about applying and portfolios that you might find helpful here.

I would also suggest that you think about courses too - some people set their sights on CSM and don't consider other courses. CSM's fashion courses are highly competitive so it's worth having some other options.

Best wishes,
Sian
Student Recruitment Officer
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending