Hozhoz10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello I wondered if anyone could give their opinion if they are taking or have taken french gcse basically I just want to know if it’s hard ?? If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!
Squirmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Languages are very hard for some people, and piss easy for others. Do you normally do well in languages?
teeras8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Gsce french isnt too bad, it’s actually quite easy but u need to remember vocab for themes that youre doing and grammar (like verb tenses). That will help with most of your gsce but practice your speaking and look out for keywords in french listening since people struggling with listening in languages. Also the spec shows u all the grammar u need and some of the vocab and things you should pay attention to
Andy Dufresne
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did both Spanish and French GCSE's, and for me a large part of it was simply memorizing the set vocab list on my exam spec as well as key verbs / tenses, and learning some higher-level set phrases for speaking and writing parrot-fashion. My school subscribed to VocabExpress which was directly linked to our exam spec, but Quizlet is also super useful. Personally, the majority of my GCSE language revision was on these two sites! If your school has any speaking support sessions during lunchtimes these can also be really helpful.
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did French and Spanish for gcse and honestly they were my easiest subjects. I consistently got 8s and 9s and am hopefully going to achieve a 9 in Spanish and an 8 in French (if my teachers dont mess up my grades). However I guess I was one of those "naturally gifted ppl" as I could look at grammar notes and remember everything, I never had to revise endings or irregular tbh. What I would suggest tho, learn vocabulary you struggle to remember on quizlet as often as you can. When you do reading exercises in class, copy out rlly fancy sentences that show off a lot of grammatical skill and then memorize those and shove them in to your own writing. I would also recommend doing listening practice thought the gcse course as listening is a skill and not something you can do the night before the exam, and if you can get your tecahers to give you the transcripts to some listening exercises so you can read what they're saying whilst listening, which rlly helped me understand what words sound like. I would also recommend doing translation practices when you can put of a CGP exam practice work book. For writing also remember to use as many tenses as you possibly can, if you can use a subjunctive do it, even just memorizing fancy phrases liek I said before and shoving them in your writing can rlly help. And lastly, for speaking I honestly would recommend just talking to urself and ur family and friends in the language all the time as it makes you more comfortable speaking the language, and thus you will sound more natural in your speaking exam.

Lol omg I didnt mean for this to be this long lmao, I hope you found these tips helpful and remember langauges are hard and I was lucky in the sense that I was naturally gifted at them so dw if you arent so good at the start, you will improve dw
linedpaper
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hozhoz10)
Hello I wondered if anyone could give their opinion if they are taking or have taken french gcse basically I just want to know if it’s hard ?? If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!
I took French GCSE- I'm a current y11 so I never got to do the exam but I'm probably only going to get a 6. I didn't really like French although I didn't get on with my teacher too much. If you would consider yourself fairly competent at languages, you don't find it too hard to pick things up, then I would recommend.
You just have to put in the effort:
- make flashcards or use quizlet early on as you do topics, make sure you go over grammar as practice and make sure your tenses are solid.
- Learn higher level phrases and use them in your speaking and writing- like memorizing some phrases in the subjunctive tense- that impresses and you'd find it hard to conjugate on the spot. E.g. idioms, subjunctive, conjunctions
- With listening, make sure you practice throughout the course- it's the one I found hardest- it helps to remember key words/ vocab so you can listen out for them.
- Speaking, not my favourite again, try and practice with others/ record things and listen back to them, work on making it sound 'spontaneous', and flowy, as well as having a good accent. Speaking is a great section for you to learn complex sentences and just repeat them in the exam- construct sentences out of phrases you know.
- Reading isn't too hard, again make sure you know key words and can spot various tenses.
- A great thing to do is listen to podcasts and French radio geared towards beginners, you can find it online and it can help with listening.

Languages aren't easy, but neither are many other subjects. They're also making French and German have easier grading from 2020 as it was hard to get a top grade compared to Spanish.
Last edited by linedpaper; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed