Hayden_kore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m still currently doing my first year of college (year 12) but we have been asked to draft our personal statements for ucas and it got me thinking about universities. I really loved the idea of apprenticeships as they were all the talk the past few years but I am now coming to learn that there is barely many apprenticeships and none in what I enjoy. (Social science, I love research and conducting studies etc and I REALLY did think there would be an apprenticeship were I can shadow researchers and also do my course in uni but alas there is none).

So I’ve been slapped in the face by reality and realised I do actually have to find a university and do a course the “normal” way. The thing that drew me to apprenticeships was how modern they sounded. All these universities everyone’s raging about are 150 year old buildings with outdated traditions. Just look up Oxford weird traditions, I’d rather be caught dead.
I want a university with a really modern vibe!! With new 21St C way of thinking. If anyone knows any please tell me. Google is NO help it’s just shoving UCL and imperial down my throat. I understand people care about league tables etc but I honestly just want a decent university that I’ll enjoy my time in and not feel like I’m suffocating in a Ancient Rome looking building. No hate to these unis and to the people that go. I just want a fresh no nonsense non snobby uni. Please recommend some!!
Oh! And keep it in london!! The busier and the more filled with shops and shopping mall area the better!
username5325486
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
God avoid UCL and especially Imperial. I looked at going there, the students on the course actually told me to not do it because it was so bad to go there. They were a mix of UK and international students. But apprenticeships are shoved at everyone but for a degree level one, there is almost nothing, and the only ‘science’ they do do is computer science as a lot of that is a modern trade.
richmkay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I've learnt from reading posts on here and attending uni open days, uni Is what you make it to be, you can be as socially open or closed as you choose.

Just because a building is old, it doesn't mean that the teaching aspects are dated. Many of the unis I looked at have extremely modern ways of teaching both in technology and methodology. Whilst an apprenticeship offers payment, as you said, they are very few and far between.

It might help to get in contact with the unis and get some idea of how they teach from the tutors there.

Also, many of the big cities have amazing shops for students such as Birmingham, Liverpool and loads of others. Don't get yourself in the pigeon hole of sticking yourself to one location
Last edited by richmkay; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hayden_kore)
I’m still currently doing my first year of college (year 12) but we have been asked to draft our personal statements for ucas and it got me thinking about universities. I really loved the idea of apprenticeships as they were all the talk the past few years but I am now coming to learn that there is barely many apprenticeships and none in what I enjoy. (Social science, I love research and conducting studies etc and I REALLY did think there would be an apprenticeship were I can shadow researchers and also do my course in uni but alas there is none).

So I’ve been slapped in the face by reality and realised I do actually have to find a university and do a course the “normal” way. The thing that drew me to apprenticeships was how modern they sounded. All these universities everyone’s raging about are 150 year old buildings with outdated traditions. Just look up Oxford weird traditions, I’d rather be caught dead.
I want a university with a really modern vibe!! With new 21St C way of thinking. If anyone knows any please tell me. Google is NO help it’s just shoving UCL and imperial down my throat. I understand people care about league tables etc but I honestly just want a decent university that I’ll enjoy my time in and not feel like I’m suffocating in a Ancient Rome looking building. No hate to these unis and to the people that go. I just want a fresh no nonsense non snobby uni. Please recommend some!!
Oh! And keep it in london!! The busier and the more filled with shops and shopping mall area the better!
I rally dont know about London. Perhaps Brunel but that is out in Uxbridge. There are a number of 1950s and 60s universities that are in smaller cities which are in quite touristy places like Bath, York, Exeter, UEA and Kent. Possibly Sussex and Surrey as well. There are also a number of ex polys which opened around that time including Brunel and South Bank in and around London and places like UWE on the outskirts of Bristol, Plymouth, Nottingham Trent, Leeds Beckett, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool John Moores. These are in biggish cities and would fit your bill being pretty much without snobbery and the kind of shopping that you are seeking.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How about an apprenticeship with the government statistical service or economic service? Those are both very social science research oriented.
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi Hayden_kore,

I am sorry that you have not been able to find an apprenticeship suitable to your passion. We offer a number of degree apprenticeships in several areas which are worth looking into, they're generally 80% work and 20% training and we will support you in finding an employer to pair the degree with at open days or jobs fairs. If you're looking to study at a modern university with a career focus then Sheffield Hallam could be great for you, we have a campus in the city centre where there are lots of shops and things to do and all our accommodation is mainly 5-15 minutes walk away. All of our courses include some element of applied learning, if they do not have a placement year offered then there will be plenty of real-world work projects to get involved with. You may also want to take a look at our undergraduate degrees, our Sociology and Politics section would be most suitable for you to explore. You can also chat to our current students about their courses, the universities services and the city on our chat platform. Let me know if you have any questions & I hope you find what you're looking for.

- Ella
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
City Univeristy London seems a pretty decent down to earth university with a modern feel. Admittedly I've only been there for an open day but relative to other universities I've visited, it's the closest to what I'd think of as modern in terms of architecture and teaching methods (although I could be totally off the mark here).
Also, as richmkay has said, although some universities may have old buildings or seem ancient, they actually employ modern teaching techniques

I'd strongly suggest you try and find a list of universities in London and filter by which universities offer your course of interest, then have a look around their website and maybe attend some open days (I know there are some virtual open days going on at the moment) or chat to existing students (if the university offers this function).
Evie33
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi!

I currently study Sociology a City University which is very much filled with research amongst other interesting modules, if you want to know more about studying there feel free to message me! I would suggest listing London universities and seeing which do research based degrees, most would be called along the lines of sociology, social research etc. After this look at what you will be taught during the degrees as it can greatly differ! This is what helped me narrow it down to the uni I go to now.

Some unis to look at off the top of my head would be Queen Marys, Birbeck,SOAS,Kings College,Goldsmiths,Royal Holloway. Most would have the option to view their campuses so have a browse
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed