Takes 4 hours to fall asleep

Watch this thread
female_L
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I feel very depressed, stressed for insignificant reasons, my eyes are always red, can’t pay attention or keep a train of thought, I have a constant headache and 0 energy. What should I do? This has been happening for a long time. I also sometimes wake up from an unbearable feeling in my lower back which invades my dreams. My dad always watches the news until 11-12,the tv right below my bed, and randomly walks into my room when I’m falling asleep to check on my little sister. I feel like I’m losing my mind. I want to move to Uni and live by myself but still have yr13.
PonyWizzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by female_L)
I feel very depressed, stressed for insignificant reasons, my eyes are always red, can’t pay attention or keep a train of thought, I have a constant headache and 0 energy. What should I do? This has been happening for a long time. I also sometimes wake up from an unbearable feeling in my lower back which invades my dreams. My dad always watches the news until 11-12,the tv right below my bed, and randomly walks into my room when I’m falling asleep to check on my little sister. I feel like I’m losing my mind. I want to move to Uni and live by myself but still have yr13.
If you're not getting enough sleep, or not regular sleep, that would significantly add to your feelings of depression, and why you're not able to concentrate. I know because I often have troubles getting to sleep, and it really does affect my life at school.
As for your dad, you could ask him to turn the volume down, and not come in more than once? If you're sharing a room with your little sister, you could say that you're checking on her, since you're still awake? That might help.
As for actually getting to sleep, making sure you don't have a screen in front of you at least an hour before trying to fall asleep helps. Also reading before bed - if you have some books you really enjoy, try reading a chapter a night or something before sleeping, or read until you feel sleepy (unless it's really late of course) because that's what I do every single night and as soon as I can't read the words anymore because my eyes aren't focusing, I put the book down and I can fall asleep pretty much straight away. Also drinking milk is supposed to be very soporific, and being warm as well.
As for your actual sleeping patterns, it's scientifically proven that having a regular pattern to your sleep helps immensely with mental health. At the moment during COVID I'm going to sleep about 12:30am (not great I know but that's really engaging books for you!) and I wake up at 8am. Every single day. For school, it's more like sleep at 11:30pm and awake at 7:30am. But it needs to be regular enough, and you need to be getting at least 6 hours of sleep, preferably 8 to function at optimum. Everybody's different however, so you may work better on less (I can't have more than 8 or I'm really tired) or you may need more (I have a friend who needs about 12 hours to function).

That's assuming your depression is being caused by sleep however, but you can do these things anyway because sleep is actually really important. I suffer from depression myself, so I understand how annoying it is to feel really bad for apparently no reason at all. My suggestion (if fixing your sleep doesn't fix your mental health) is to keep a diary, and keep with it a sort of happiness chart, so you can see at a glance which days you felt good, and which days you didn't. That way you can flick back to your diary and try to figure out a pattern. At the moment, I'm not sure if my depression is seasonal, since it appears I felt much worse over the winter, or if it's caused by people.

I hope this helps and I hope you start to feel better. <3
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep so I take melatonin, which is produced naturally by your body. I would be awake for 5+ hours after going to bed. Now it takes me about 20minutes after taking the melatonin.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by زب سوري.)
ترجمة من فضلك
u dirty get lost
PAPYRUS-UK
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by female_L)
Hello female_L,

It sounds like you're really struggling at the moment - not being able to sleep properly can have an impact when you're already struggling, especially with things like concentration and managing to cope with how you're feeling.

At HopelineUK we often speak to people who are struggling with sleep, and feeling depressed. One thing that I would always advise is to speak to your GP about what is going on and see what support they might be able to offer you. Whilst disrupted sleep may be having an impact, there might be other reasons why you're struggling with feeling depressed. Maybe think about how long you've felt this way for, and if anything changed in your life around the time this feeling started. It's also maybe worth discussing with the GP your physical health issues - whilst I'm not medically trained, I understand that headaches and lack of energy can have other physical causes as well.

It might be worth looking into tips on sleeping better and see if any of them might be able to help you to build up a better sleep routine. I've found this website https://www.helpguide.org/articles/s...tter-sleep.htm with sleeping tips.

There are some services out there who you can speak to about how you're feeling, and how much you're struggling with things at the moment. There is:
https://www.themix.org.uk/ is for anyone under 25
https://www.kooth.com/ (under 18), https://www.qwell.io/ (over 18)
https://www.childline.org.uk/ is for anyone under 19

Sometimes when people are struggling with feeling depressed, this can contribute to having thoughts of suicide. If this is something you ever need support with, HopelineUK are here to support anyone under 35 with thoughts of suicide. You can call 0800 068 4141, text 07860 039967 or email [email protected]

Best Wishes,
Pip :^_^:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads