The Student Room Group

Commuting 2 hours to work?

Hey so I've got an induction for a new job on Tuesday and it's a Saturday and Sunday job and I'm already working in Coalville on weekdays which is an hour and 20 minutes commute. My job is roughly a two journey from where I live as its in Derbyshire, would you say 2 hours it too much of a commute or is it sensible? That's 4 hours a day and it's two 8 hour shifts a weeks so in total I'm commuting around 21 hours a week to work
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chemgem69
Hey so I've got an induction for a new job on Tuesday and it's a Saturday and Sunday job and I'm already working in Coalville on weekdays which is an hour and 20 minutes commute. My job is roughly a two journey from where I live as its in Derbyshire, would you say 2 hours it too much of a commute or is it sensible? That's 4 hours a day and it's two 8 hour shifts a weeks so in total I'm commuting around 21 hours a week to work

I would say it depends on the pay. If there's any other job nearby that pays the same amount why don't you save yourself the stress?. But if there's none around its a yes from me
Reply 2
Original post by AnonymousL
I would say it depends on the pay. If there's any other job nearby that pays the same amount why don't you save yourself the stress?. But if there's none around its a yes from me

It's £12.00 an hour and I can't find oat in my county that is anywhere near that rate the closest is £10.50 I think and my weekday job is only £10.50 the cost of transport isn't a problem as my agency pay for it so atleast that's a plus
(edited 3 years ago)
It's £12.00 an hour and I can't find oat in my county that is anywhere near that rate the closest is £10.50 I think and my weekday job is only £10.50

Did you put the transportation fee into consideration? If you did and you still have a larger amount than what you would be paid around then go for it
Reply 4
Did you put the transportation fee into consideration? If you did and you still have a larger amount than what you would be paid around then go for it

The agency pays for transport
The agency pays for transport

Oh ok.. Then I'd advice you to do it if you feel like it

Too long a commute - you will lose your mind within weeks. Anything more than 1.5 hours by public transport is too far. Relocation is a far safer option.

wayyyy too much - 2 hours just sounds like a number to you but when you actually experience the tedium, sense of wasted time, inconvenience and early mornings you'll realise how bad 4 hours commuting every day is
Reply 8
Oh ok.. Then I'd advice you to do it if you feel like it

Yup all together I should be making around 550 a week after tax if Im working 6 days
Reply 9
Original post by A Rolling Stone
wayyyy too much - 2 hours just sounds like a number to you but when you actually experience the tedium, sense of wasted time, inconvenience and early mornings you'll realise how bad 4 hours commuting every day is

The shifts are 3pm to 11pm so I could wake up at around 11 but I get what you mean about wasted time I guess I'm thinking money atm
Reply 10
Original post by StarLinyx
Too long a commute - you will lose your mind within weeks. Anything more than 1.5 hours by public transport is too far. Relocation is a far safer option.

I live with my parents and moving to Derby would mean I would be further away from my weekday job although I do have cousins who live in Amber Valley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending