npic9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I was just stumbling across how much is the average that solicitors make. But the average is around £40,000 outside London. Is this true? I'm shocked because train drivers make more money, I understand that £40,000 is still quite a lot of money to some people, however I thought solicitors would be paid £80,000 average
polpo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is probably because there are too many.
Tinders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
Hi, I was just stumbling across how much is the average that solicitors make. But the average is around £40,000 outside London. Is this true? I'm shocked because train drivers make more money, I understand that £40,000 is still quite a lot of money to some people, however I thought solicitors would be paid £80,000 average
There is also a lot less money in law than people think there are. Some rookie barristers are on less than £15,000 per year, especially in criminal law. It's just that people see commercial la Clifford Chance and Linklaters and watch shows like suits which gives them this impression that lawyers are laughing on the way to the bank. It's not necessarily true for all.
npic9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinders)
There is also a lot less money in law than people think there are. Some rookie barristers are on less than £15,000 per year, especially in criminal law. It's just that people see commercial la Clifford Chance and Linklaters and watch shows like suits which gives them this impression that lawyers are laughing on the way to the bank. It's not necessarily true for all.
Yes I agree with the part of TV shows like suits glorifying the world of law, but American lawyers do get paid much more than British solicitors/barristers
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
Yes I agree with the part of TV shows like suits glorifying the world of law, but American lawyers do get paid much more than British solicitors/barristers
Yes, there is more money in American law for sure.
polpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
To my knowledge, they do not need to do a training contract, so have a head-start in creating a practice.
polpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to earn good money in law, you should probably go to a top ranked university, and obtain good work experience while studying; in addition to early applications for vacation schemes, and training contracts.
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by polpo)
To my knowledge, they do not need to do a training contract, so have a head-start in creating a practice.
Yeah, I think in America once you've done the Juris Doctor, you can take the bar exam then you are fully qualified. Although it may vary from state to state.
npic9
Rep:
?
(Original post by polpo)
If you want to earn good money in law, you should probably go to a top ranked university, and obtain good work experience while studying; in addition to early applications for vacation schemes, and training contracts.
Law is something I am passionate about and I am trying to make my CV the best however I feel like all the hard work will be for nothing as the pay seems to be low for what I will be doing
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
Law is something I am passionate about and I am trying to make my CV the best however I feel like all the hard work will be for nothing as the pay seems to be low for what I will be doing
Salary's for lawyers depend on so much. Can you clarify what area(s) of law you are interested in? Or are you unsure yet?
polpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
It may depend on if your CV is good enough for a Magic Circle firm or not. Do what you want to do. You don't want to have regrets later.
polpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Plus a lot of jobs will cap out at below £40k, so this is actually quite a lot, if you think of it that way.
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
also solicitor's salaries can increase by a lot very quickly after qualifying.
polpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are still unsure and want a backup, then research the SQE qualification that is being released. This may allow you to do a STEM degree etc. and then qualify as a Solicitor afterwards.
npic9
Rep:
?
also solicitor's salaries can increase by a lot very quickly after qualifying.
Really? I didn't know, I thought that it takes quite a bit of time for the salary to increase
npic9
Rep:
?
Salary's for lawyers depend on so much. Can you clarify what area(s) of law you are interested in? Or are you unsure yet?
Well I am interested in tort law, so I was thinking of getting into construction law as I feel I would be interested in that branch the most out of all the other areas
npic9
Rep:
?
(Original post by polpo)
If you are still unsure and want a backup, then research the SQE qualification that is being released. This may allow you to do a STEM degree etc. and then qualify as a Solicitor afterwards.
I have heard about the SQE but I'll research more about it thanks!
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
Really? I didn't know, I thought that it takes quite a bit of time for the salary to increase
It can. Not in all instances.
(Original post by npic9)
Well I am interested in tort law, so I was thinking of getting into construction law as I feel I would be interested in that branch the most out of all the other areas
If all you care cashing out then you should consider a magic circle. Although, many people would dream to earn £40,000 per year.
npic9
Rep:
?
It can. Not in all instances.

If all you care cashing out then you should consider a magic circle. Although, many people would dream to earn £40,000 per year.
I have looked into magic circle firms however they're mainly based in London and I prefer to live up north ( MCR ). I understand that £40,000 is still a lot of money and there are people out there that wish they could have a salary of 40k but I feel like with the amount of intense studying, work experience,the debt and even living costs that the average salary yearly is low and that it should be higher.
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by npic9)
I have looked into magic circle firms however they're mainly based in London and I prefer to live up north ( MCR ). I understand that £40,000 is still a lot of money and there are people out there that wish they could have a salary of 40k but I feel like with the amount of intense studying, work experience,the debt and even living costs that the average salary yearly is low and that it should be higher.
£40,000 in the north of england goes a long, long way. Possibly the equivalent of hearing £80,000 in London. If not better because of how expensive London is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (74)
40.66%
Take autumn exams (61)
33.52%
Look for a job (5)
2.75%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.3%
Take a year out (25)
13.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.04%

Watched Threads