The Student Room Group

A/AS level results day countdown - The results day that never ended!

Poll

How are you getting your results?

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day). We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves :biggrin:

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance?
4. Which subject?
5. What grades are required?
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

When can I collect my results from school/college?

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make and is likely to be different this year - if you don't know the details then ring them up on Wednesday the 12th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?

Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

How do I find out what results were for my subject at my school for the last few years?
Copied from post #970
Original post by PQ
OK

Anyone wanting to look at previous performance data for your school who has space on your hard drive and time to dig through some horrible spreadsheets:

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/download-data?currentstep=datatypes&regiontype=all&la=0&downloadYear=2018-2019&datatypes=ks5underlying <= 2019 results
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/download-data?currentstep=datatypes&regiontype=all&la=0&downloadYear=2017-2018&datatypes=ks5underlying <= 2018 results
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/download-data?currentstep=datatypes&regiontype=all&la=0&downloadYear=2016-2017&datatypes=ks5underlying <= 2017 results

Hopefully those links work

Data looks like this (I picked a big sixth form and their largest A level cohort in 2019):
hillsrdmaths2019.PNG

The spreadsheets at just under 13Mb so too big to attach to TSR

Of course this is all completely useless without knowing how you have been ranked within your subject....

When do unis get our results?

UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday or Saturday.
Universities then spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?

See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?

Track will go live AFTER 8am on results day. UCAS say 8am (and 7:30am for Advisers) - it used to go live a little earlier. but the embargo time that UCAS and universities work to has been pushed back from 6am to 8am this year so it WILL NOT be before 8am

It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS. Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 8am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.

Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and buy the Telegraph(just in case), get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get your results from School.

what will Track show

It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference:smile:
Track scenarios

Original post by PQ
Ok let's break it down Firm is X, insurance is Y
X -CF, Y-CI - neither has decided ring firm
X-CF, Y-UI - insurance has accepted but firm not decided. Ring firm
X-CF, Y-R - insurance has rejected, firm not decided. Ring firm.
X-UF, Y-CI, firm accepted, insurance not decided. Celebrate.
X-UF, Y-UI, both accepted. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.
X-UF, Y-R, firm accepted, insurance rejected. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.
X-R, Y-CF firm rejected, insurance not deciding. Ring insurance.
X-R, Y-UF firm rejected, insurance accepted. Celebrate
X-R, Y-R both rejected. You're in clearing.
This ignores changed course offers which either university can make. Both universities do their own thing. They don't have time to look what the other is doing.

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!

NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.
If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!

NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers.

If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing

Spoiler

See the FAQ for more help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6552572

I did really badly - what do I do now?
The lovely @SarcAndSpark has pulled together this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6602014 with information and advice on remakes/remarks/appeals
There will be threads in the applications, clearing and ucas forum for people planning to take a gap year and reapply and help available in the gap years

Can I just use my mocks instead?
Your school/college can use a verified mock exam as evidence to appeal your grade (in England and NI). There might be a charge for this and we don’t know how long it would take.

If you’re thinking of going down this route speak to your exams officer, let your universities know but prepare for a gap year. You might only get the appeal results too late for this year and get a deferred offer instead. In which case you might want to think about sitting October exams too.

Results day stats from last year:

Spoiler

Results Day Flowchart pdf version
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:woo:

reminder: please avoid using emojis from your phone keyboard where possible as this can result in the thread page being broken
(edited 3 years ago)
Best wishes for results day! Did you have separate predictions for your ASes?
*oh no this means it's real, doesn't it*

1. AS or A level?
A Level

2. What subjects?
Politics (Edexcel), English Lit (OCR), English Lang (AQA), EPQ (AQA)
Predicted: A*AA

Firm - The University of Edinburgh (AAB)
Insurance - Cardiff University (ABB)

4. Which subject?
English Language and Literature

I was honestly very chill for results day with safe predicted grades and all that. Watching the IB results come in though...too many horror stories for my liking :/
Conclusion: I am officially bricking it.
Original post by ashestostardust

1. AS or A level?
A Level

2. What subjects?

4. Which subject?

I was honestly very chill for results day with safe predicted grades and all that. Watching the IB results come in though...too many horror stories for my liking :/

Best wishes for the 13th! Edinburgh and Cardiff are both excellent universities.
Original post by 学生の父
Best wishes for the 13th! Edinburgh and Cardiff are both excellent universities.

Cheers! :h:
1. AS or A level?
A level
2. What subjects?
Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, EPQ

For Yr 13:
CF - University of Bristol, CI - University of Exeter
4. Which subject?
Medicine
CF - ABB/AAC (A in chemistry) ( contextual offer linked to my college), CI - ABB (A in biology or chemistry) (contextual offer linked to summer school)
If I get the grades uni as I kind of want to leave home now

For everyone:
A*A*A*a*
Absolutely terrified. I spent all year working really hard and never dropped below an average grade of an A so I should be fine but I don’t know because I’m not too sure what the college will do and am slightly worried as my year has 2000 students in with 500 taking maths for example so I really don’t get how they will do the rankings.
9. Anything else to add?
I really hope everyone gets what they need on results day and wish everyone luck
Original post by DGeorge13
1. AS or A level?
A level
2. What subjects?
Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, EPQ

For Yr 13:
CF - University of Bristol, CI - University of Exeter
4. Which subject?
Medicine
CF - ABB/AAC (A in chemistry) ( contextual offer linked to my college), CI - ABB (A in biology or chemistry) (contextual offer linked to summer school)
If I get the grades uni as I kind of want to leave home now

For everyone:
A*A*A*a*
Absolutely terrified. I spent all year working really hard and never dropped below an average grade of an A so I should be fine but I don’t know because I’m not too sure what the college will do and am slightly worried as my year has 2000 students in with 500 taking maths for example so I really don’t get how they will do the rankings.
9. Anything else to add?
I really hope everyone gets what they need on results day and wish everyone luck

Best wishes to you as you await your results next month.
Original post by 学生の父
Best wishes to you as you await your results next month.

Thanks
Original post by ashestostardust

1. AS or A level?
A Level

2. What subjects?

4. Which subject?

I've just looked the the IB results day thread and I think all but 1 of the people there had quite large decreases from their predicted grades. Let's hope Ofqual and the exam boards manage A Levels better than that.
Original post by Lightning720
I've just looked the the IB results day thread and I think all but 1 of the people there had quite large decreases from their predicted grades. Let's hope Ofqual and the exam boards manage A Levels better than that.

That's likely because their predicted grades weren't the grades/information sent to the exam board.

Don't forget that IBO has less information about their candidates than the UK exam boards. The UK exam boards can see GCSE performance as well as the grades and rankings provided by each centre. IBO only has the Yr 12 and 13 information sent by each centre to work from.
Original post by PQ
That's likely because their predicted grades weren't the grades/information sent to the exam board.

Don't forget that IBO has less information about their candidates than the UK exam boards. The UK exam boards can see GCSE performance as well as the grades and rankings provided by each centre. IBO only has the Yr 12 and 13 information sent by each centre to work from.

I still don't have faith in this system. Everyone knows performance at GCSE doesn't necessarily mean the same performance at A Level
I still don't have faith in this system. Everyone knows performance at GCSE doesn't necessarily mean the same performance at A Level

I completely understand the lack of faith in the system - it feels very uncontrollable!

There is a correlation between GCSE and A level I think if you look at the methodology that produced the ALIS data which is used in sixth forms as a rough guide for A level attainment although there will be exceptions as you have mentioned
Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level? A-Level (I did AS last year and bricked it then too - the feeling doesn't change)
2. What subjects? Biology, Chemistry, Maths

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance? Nottingham (Pharmacy - Firm), UCL (Pharmacology - Insurance)
4. Which subject? Pharmacy with Integrated Pre-Registration Scheme
5. What grades are required? AAB
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? Definitely going to university this year - next year's going to be HELL applying. If coronavirus didn't mess everything up, I would've most likely take a gap year

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*AA
8. How are you feeling about results day? Fairly confident that I've got at least AAB, yet I'm absolutely ******* myself anyway
9. Anything else to add? GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DGeorge13
I completely understand the lack of faith in the system - it feels very uncontrollable!

There is a correlation between GCSE and A level I think if you look at the methodology that produced the ALIS data which is used in sixth forms as a rough guide for A level attainment although there will be exceptions as you have mentioned

It's the exceptions that I'm worried about. I really hope they get the attention needed from exam boards rather than being an afterthought. Exceptions matter, yet I think this system will end up negatively impacting them.

Oh I don't think the A level system is perfect - but it is better than the IB system due to the improved range of information and data available to exam boards and ofqual
1. AS or A level?
A level

2. What subjects?
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology

For Yr 13:
Bristol (firm), Hartpury (Insurance)
4. Which subject?
Vet nursing + bioveterinary science/ vet nursing
BB (bio+chem) C
This year
For everyone:
3xB (I think- it's been so long!)

Nervous- avoiding thinking about it xD

Good luck Everyone!!
Original post by chibichibi_xx
Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level? A-Level (I did AS last year and bricked it then too - the feeling doesn't change)
2. What subjects? Biology, Chemistry, Maths

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance? Nottingham
4. Which subject? Pharmacy with Integrated Pre-Registration Scheme
5. What grades are required? AAB
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? Definitely going to university this year - next year's going to be HELL applying. If coronavirus didn't mess everything up, I would've most likely take a gap year

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*AA
8. How are you feeling about results day? Fairly confident that I've got at least AAB, yet I'm absolutely ******* myself anyway
9. Anything else to add? GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post by bambi1425
1. AS or A level?
A level

2. What subjects?
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology

For Yr 13:
Bristol (firm), Hartpury (Insurance)
4. Which subject?
Vet nursing + bioveterinary science/ vet nursing
BB (bio+chem) C
This year
For everyone:
3xB (I think- it's been so long!)

Nervous- avoiding thinking about it xD

Good luck Everyone!!

Best wishes as you await your results and prepare for the next step in your education.
1.) A Level
2.) Maths, Chemistry, English Literature and History
3.) Firm = Cambridge, Insurance = Birmingham
4.) Law
5.) A*AAE (in any order)
6.) Going this year
7.) Predicted A*A*A*A (but if I meet my firm offer I shall not complain)
8.) The logical part of me knows that I should meet my offer, but the worried part of me is stressed about this non-exam system messing things up unexplainably.
9.) ahhhh
(edited 3 years ago)
check out this website for alevel Chem and bio https://www.alevelchemistryandbiology.com it's new but has loads of good stuff

Quick Reply

Latest