0.71%
Logging into exam board portal (52)
5.26%
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think this article about the IB highlights many of the issues which will be present in the A-Level system - http://positivelysemidefinite.com/20...-students.html

This part, in particular, stood out to me:

Let’s assume that the IB builds a model which is ‘90% accurate’. This is an almost unrealistically ambitious target and is incredibly difficult to achieve in practice. This would mean that the IB will predict incorrect final grades for at least 1 out of every 10 students. Put another way: this is equal to issuing incorrect grades for all IB students in China, Germany, India, Singapore and the United Kingdom combined.

The IB may be comfortable with this 10% inaccuracy because they have assured students that they will ‘match the grade distribution from last year’. Will this cancel out the inaccuracies in the model predictions? Absolutely Not. This is a cosmetic improvement which has the additional benefit of providing the IB with some plausible deniability. While the IB can make the current distribution look like the historical distribution, they cannot possibly guarantee that students will be in the same neighborhood on the current distribution as they would have been if the exams proceeded per usual.

Ofqual can try their absolute best to make this system accurate, but chances are a lot of people will end up getting the wrong grades.
Last edited by Lightning720; 1 month ago
flamingolover
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Wow has Notts pushed back their start date to April? That's a big break to fill!
No they haven’t. I’ve applied to veterinary and they have 2 start dates (September and April). I applied to the April one thinking I’d have time to travel before uni without taking a whole year but obviously travel isn’t looking that likely! (And I have no one to travel with 🤣)
BubblyNotes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level? A Level

2. What subjects? Sociology, Philosophy, Home Lang, EPQ

3. What university is your firm/insurance?
Firm: Royal Holloway University of London
Insurance: University of Westminster
4. Which subject?
Royal Holloway University of London:
BSc Social Sciences

University of Westminster :
BA Sociology

5. What grades are required?
Firm: BBB (B in EPQ)
Insurance: CCC

6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year?
This year.

7. What grades are you predicted?
I think:
A (Sociology), B (Philosophy), B/C (EPQ).

8. How are you feeling about results day?
Terrified but it is what it is :/

9. Anything else to add?

Uncertainty is not the one and I’m likely to go through clearing because I have zero self belief.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck everyone :woo:
NE1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. AS or A level?
A level
2. What subjects?
Law, Sociology, Religious Studies

For Yr 13:
Firm: University of Sunderland
Insurance: Northumbria University
4. Which subject?
Media Production
Firm: 96 UCAS Points (CCC) (I completed their first choice programme which upon completion gave us a 16 point reduction on my offer if I make them my firm choice)
Insurance: 80 UCAS Points (their course includes a foundation year hence why the offer is so low
Going to Uni this year

For everyone:
BCC
While I do feel confident, I’m nervous about how the exam boards will grade me in sociology as I was never consistent with my grades in that subject. One test I might get a D but in the mocks, I’ll get a C overall. We had 2 different teachers and both looked for different things in our answers. One wanted us to constantly link sociologists while the other would want to see that we were “answering the question”. My teachers were able to see that I am capable of getting C grades so I’m hoping that they’ve shown that to the exam board. I’m not worried about Religious studies as that was my best and favourite subject. The only gutting thing with this subject is I started to get closer to getting an A grade in all 3 papers and I’ve shown I can write A grade essays so while I think my teachers may have predicted me a B, I’m kinda hoping the exam board pushes it up to an A as i also got a 7 in RS at GCSE so fingers crossed. I’m not worried about my law result at all tbh as in my feedback session after my last set of mocks, my teacher told me that if I was to revise the year 13 content a bit more and got the same or slightly higher marks on paper 1 and 2, i likely could’ve got a high C/low B in the real exam. I’m just hoping that the exam boards don’t do as bad a job as the exam boards grading IB results did because I’ve seen nothing but horror stories on the IB forums. I’m also a bit worried about the articles going around about grades being cut by a third. I’m hoping they’re not true.
9. Anything else to add?
I wish you all the best of luck on results day. We’re all in the same boat and none of us know exactly how things will pan out but I pray you all get the grades you need and deserve so you can move one step closer to achieving your dreams.
Last edited by NE1; 4 weeks ago
NE1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Forgot to ask this in my previous post but will the exam boards middling to standardise grades negatively affect disadvantaged students? Like as in those with medical conditions or that would’ve had things like extra time in their mocks and real exams? I’m just wondering as I have a visual impairment and I had double time in my mocks and I was in my classroom with an invidulator with rest breaks etc. I’m asking because I saw someone mention that people with exceptions will be disadvantaged when it comes to the exam boards standardising our grades.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NE1)
Forgot to ask this in my previous post but will the exam boards middling to standardise grades negatively affect disadvantaged students? Like as in those with medical conditions or that would’ve had things like extra time in their mocks and real exams? I’m just wondering as I have a visual impairment and I had double time in my mocks and I was in my classroom with an invidulator with rest breaks etc. I’m asking because I saw someone mention that people with exceptions will be disadvantaged when it comes to the exam boards standardising our grades.
School and colleges were instructed to take into account all the access arrangements which had been put in place for you. They will have based your centre assessed grades and rankings on their assessment of the grade you would have achieved had you sat your exams with all your usual arrangements in place.
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. AS or A level? I'm retaking one A-Level.
2. What subjects? Religious Studies.

3. What university is your firm/insurance? Oxford and Edinburgh.
4. Which subject? English.
5. What grades are required? An A in my retake for Oxford (which I missed by 1.5% last year!). My Edinburgh offer is unconditional.
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? I have to start university in 2020 whatever happens on results day, because besides the fact that it's already a year since I took my A-Levels originally, I have EU residency status so this is my last chance to study in the UK with home fees.

7. What grades are you predicted? I am predicted an A*, but since this was predicted by my UCAS referee and not my tutor/exam centre, this will have no bearing on my result.
8. How are you feeling about results day? Very, very nervous. I'm a private candidate trying to get a grade through a school where I have never been a pupil, via an independent private tutor. I'm also the only candidate for my subject this year, but in previous years there have generally been one or two. As the school's average grade is a C, I'm worried I may be lowered unfairly and end up with a B again, even though all the essays I submitted as evidence of my level were A*s or very high As. Anyway, I can only wait and see, and as disappointed as I would be to lose my place at Oxford because of factors beyond my control, I'm lucky at least to have a lovely Insurance option.
9. Anything else to add? Best of luck, everyone!! It's the first year when we are not worrying about what we wrote in our exams, but rather how we are going to be affected by a statistical calculation that's more interested in maintaining national statistics than protecting individuals' rights and futures. It's natural that we will be anxious, but the most important thing is to enjoy our summers and remember that there will be ways to get justice if we are treated unfairly.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gwil)
1. AS or A level? I'm retaking one A-Level.
2. What subjects? Religious Studies.

3. What university is your firm/insurance? Oxford and Edinburgh.
4. Which subject? English.
5. What grades are required? An A in my retake for Oxford (which I missed by 1.5% last year!). My Edinburgh offer is unconditional.
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? I have to start university in 2020 whatever happens on results day, because besides the fact that it's already a year since I took my A-Levels originally, I have EU residency status so this is my last chance to study in the UK with home fees.

7. What grades are you predicted? I am predicted an A*, but since this was predicted by my UCAS referee and not my tutor/exam centre, this will have no bearing on my result.
8. How are you feeling about results day? Very, very nervous. I'm a private candidate trying to get a grade through a school where I have never been a pupil, via an independent private tutor. I'm also the only candidate for my subject this year, but in previous years there have generally been one or two. As the school's average grade is a C, I'm worried I may be lowered unfairly and end up with a B again, even though all the essays I submitted as evidence of my level were A*s or very high As. Anyway, I can only wait and see, and as disappointed as I would be to lose my place at Oxford because of factors beyond my control, I'm lucky at least to have a lovely Insurance option.
9. Anything else to add? Best of luck, everyone!! It's the first year when we are not worrying about what we wrote in our exams, but rather how we are going to be affected by a statistical calculation that's more interested in maintaining national statistics than protecting individuals' rights and futures. It's natural that we will be anxious, but the most important thing is to enjoy our summers and remember that there will be ways to get justice if we are treated unfairly.
Best wishes to you, too. I hope that you get what you need to take up that Oxford place.
Lightning720
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just want to point out the report from the Education Committee. They have addressed basically every single concern people have about this grading system and put them to Ofqual so hopefully, they will listen.

https://committees.parliament.uk/pub...17976/default/

The only thing I am concerned about is the cost of the Autumn exams. If students have to pay for these exams, a lot of disadvantaged students won't be able to afford them.
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
Best wishes to you, too. I hope that you get what you need to take up that Oxford place.
Thank you so much
Lightning720
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not exactly surprising, but will cause issues for those who end up sitting the Autumn exams especially if they didn't finish all of their courses.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ch-finds-study
bored_user:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. AS or A level?
A level

2. What subjects?
Maths, Physics and Economics

For Yr 13:
Kings College London (Firm) and Manchester University (Insurance)
4. Which subject?
BSc Physics with Philosophy
AAB with A in Maths and Physics
This year
For everyone:
A*AA

SUPER NERVOUSE!!
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck everyone. I’m so terrified about this whole thing. Hopefully the tank order means it is less susceptible to issues than ib. Does anyone know if teachers have to evidence the rank order they submitted or if theoretically they can say it is evidenced but have plucked it out of thin air?
neko no basu
  • Political Ambassador
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Good luck everyone. I’m so terrified about this whole thing. Hopefully the tank order means it is less susceptible to issues than ib. Does anyone know if teachers have to evidence the rank order they submitted or if theoretically they can say it is evidenced but have plucked it out of thin air?
from the document - Summer 2020 grades for GCSE, AS and A level, Extended Project Qualification and Advanced Extension Award in maths (pg 7)
Attached files
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by neko no basu)
from the document - Summer 2020 grades for GCSE, AS and A level, Extended Project Qualification and Advanced Extension Award in maths (pg 7)
Thanks . We can but hope. Maybe I’m stressing too much but I just have this feeling that it could all go interestingly
justjas33
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(how did everyone manage to keep the questions bold?😅)

1. AS or A level?
AS
2. What subjects?
History, Law, English Literature

For everyone:
I don’t actually know, my college don’t tend to predict. But for history my teacher was expecting an A.
Nervous like everyone really, it’s weird how it’s practically out of my control. Plus I’m worried that I won’t be able to apply the unis I’ve gotten attached to as my grades won’t be anywhere near good enough lol.
9. Anything else to add?
Just a massive good luck to all the y13’s! I can’t imagine the stress :/
Last edited by justjas33; 4 weeks ago
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by justjas33)
(how did everyone manage to keep the questions bold?😅)

1. AS or A level?
AS
2. What subjects?
History, Law, English Literature

For everyone:
I don’t actually know, my college don’t tend to predict. But for history my teacher was expecting an A.
Nervous like everyone really, it’s weird how it’s practically out of my control. Plus I’m worried that I won’t be able to apply the unis I’ve gotten attached to as my grades won’t be anywhere near good enough lol.
9. Anything else to add?
Just a massive good luck to all the y13’s! I can’t imagine the stress :/
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA just quote the other users and then remove the quotes and then use that lol
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
4 weeks to go now!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
4 weeks to go now!
what grades do you need and what are you expecting? which uni are you off to? Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.43%
Better than expected (93)
20.22%
Worse than expected (250)
54.35%

Watched Threads