The Student Room Group

Economics applicants thread 2021

Everybody who’s applying for entry in 2021, add ur names. Just to get the chains tarted I recommend :
1. AS grades & Subjects
2. University choices (if you’ve received any offers etc)
3. Courses ur applying for
4. Extracurriculars/books/podcasts anything

You can write something very short or very long, completely upto you!!

For me :
1. A - economics (95)
A - math (85)
A - accounting (95)
2. Warwick, LSE (def not getting but still) , UCL uncertain about others
3. Uncertain :/ but maybe econ pure or econ w finance
4. President of economics club🥰, read a lot of books, microeconomics AP, finance course online

Scroll to see replies

If there’s already a thread for this, can somebody tell me please! Thank you :smile:)
Hey
I'm hoping to study economics in 2021 too.
I was supposed to write AS this may but exams got cancelled so im thinking of writing the entire A level next year in one go

I take Maths, Economics, History, Physics....but i think i'll most probably drop physics

GCSE grades: 4 8s, 3 7s and a 6

Universities applying to: Warwick, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol/Exeter, Nottingham/Manchester

Extracurriculars: I haven't really had the opportunity to do activities mainly because I go to an online school and there has been a severe lockdown in my country for the last couple of months. I guess many people are in a similar position, so hopefully it shouldnt affect my application.

My only concern is not having Further Maths and relatively average gcse grades.
A-level grades and subjects (achieved): A*A*AAa* (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and EPQ)
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*8AAA76
University choices: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL
Courses: E&M at Ox and KCL. Econ at LSE, UCL and KCL (two applications to KCL)
Extra/supercurriculars: Professional qualifications in finance, several books, martial arts, EPQ (obvs), + other things

Just started a gap year. Good luck all
do you need to have an economics course in high school, to get a spot in LSE mathematics with economics? I am international student (indian), with physics chemistry mathematics English and p.e as my final year load. basically I haven't studied economics since 2019, that too as part of combined social science.
Reply 5
am I the only one without a-level maths, that is going to be applying to economics? I do biology, chemistry and geography A-Levels. Also, do Core Maths.

Going to be applying to:

-University of Nottingham- Economics and Philosophy
-University of Manchester- Economics and Finance
-University of St Andrews- Financial Economics
-University of Durham- Finance
-Cass Business School- Something Econ related
Original post by thegeniusarvind
do you need to have an economics course in high school, to get a spot in LSE mathematics with economics? I am international student (indian), with physics chemistry mathematics English and p.e as my final year load. basically I haven't studied economics since 2019, that too as part of combined social science.

Check the prospectus but I don't think you need Econ
Reply 7
1, Subjects and predicted grades
maths (a*/a), further maths (a*), politics (a*/a), economics (a)

2. University choices (if you’ve received any offers etc)
nottingham (offer aab), bath (offer a*ab), bristol (offer a*aa), sheffield (offer abb) , york (offer aaa)

3. Courses ur applying for
maths and economics

4. Extracurriculars/books/podcasts anything
the undercover economist, the art of strategy
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by I like bread
A-level grades and subjects (achieved): A*A*AAa* (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and EPQ)
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*8AAA76
University choices: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL
Courses: E&M at Ox and KCL. Econ at LSE, UCL and KCL (two applications to KCL)
Extra/supercurriculars: Professional qualifications in finance, several books, martial arts, EPQ (obvs), + other things

Just started a gap year. Good luck all

Heyy you make such an impressive application! which finance course? i am currently studying an online course on Financial markets by Yale
Original post by Raja12
am I the only one without a-level maths, that is going to be applying to economics? I do biology, chemistry and geography A-Levels. Also, do Core Maths.

Going to be applying to:

-University of Nottingham- Economics and Philosophy
-University of Manchester- Economics and Finance
-University of St Andrews- Financial Economics
-University of Durham- Finance
-Cass Business School- Something Econ related

Hii i think math is an important prerequisite in most of the universities I’ve checked out, but perhaps some don’t need it. But as far as I know, for a course with finance and econ you will need math. But I could definitely be wrong, check your Uni requirements!
Reply 10
Original post by abstractly01
Hii i think math is an important prerequisite in most of the universities I’ve checked out, but perhaps some don’t need it. But as far as I know, for a course with finance and econ you will need math. But I could definitely be wrong, check your Uni requirements!

hey, yep all of the universities that I have listed say that they don't require maths. All they need is a 6/7 GCSE Maths or Core Maths.
Reply 11

however, people have been telling me that doing economics without maths, is going to be rlly difficult. While, some people have been saying that if the university doesn't require maths, that means they will get everyone up to speed. I display numerical competency through biology, chemistry and core maths.
Heyy you make such an impressive application! which finance course? i am currently studying an online course on Financial markets by Yale

Hey, thank you. I did two courses: level 4 and level 5 diplomas issued by the London Institute of Banking and Finance. The courses were titled 'Trading & financial market analysis'. They're taught by a proprietary trading firm called Amplify Trading. Top quality teaching if you're interested but quite expensive.

That's cool, is that with Coursera?? I'm interested in doing that since I've heard people talking about this Yale course.

So are you particularly interested in financial markets or do you just have a general interest in Econ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey, thank you. I did two courses: level 4 and level 5 diplomas issued by the London Institute of Banking and Finance. The courses were titled 'Trading & financial market analysis'. They're taught by a proprietary trading firm called Amplify Trading. Top quality teaching if you're interested but quite expensive.

That's cool, is that with Coursera?? I'm interested in doing that since I've heard people talking about this Yale course.

So are you particularly interested in financial markets or do you just have a general interest in Econ?

Wow that’s so cool!
I’m actually quieter interested in learning about the financial markets, I love learning about all the risks and potential insurances? like i recently read up on wage insurance, and i love these concepts and ideas
Wow that’s so cool!
I’m actually quieter interested in learning about the financial markets, I love learning about all the risks and potential insurances? like i recently read up on wage insurance, and i love these concepts and ideas

ah ok. I'm not too into insurance in particular myself but it's good that you read into stuff like at this stage. When I was in your position I'd done virtually no wider reading lol. As you can probs tell, I'm very interest in financial markets, in fact its my top interest. Hmu if you ever want to discuss them
ah ok. I'm not too into insurance in particular myself but it's good that you read into stuff like at this stage. When I was in your position I'd done virtually no wider reading lol. As you can probs tell, I'm very interest in financial markets, in fact its my top interest. Hmu if you ever want to discuss them

Oh yes that sounds fun! I’ll probably take u up on that offer soon:smile:
Hello, I am an American applying to LSE and Cambridge for economics, along with a bunch of other US schools so I don't have any safeties in the UK.My grades for my AP's which basically 5 AP's seem to be equivalent to 3 A Levels are 12 5's (max score), 3 4's, and a 3 in an irrelevant subject that was on a 45 min test.My extracurriculars include a multi state economics association, being a lifetime fellow in the American Junior Academy of Sciences in Mathematics on a Mathematical Finance project, and having the best ranking of 12th in the US for econ for my team, and 1st in Tx, as well as top 12 in nation for personal finance. I am currently on a gap year.
Original post by joe283364
Hello, I am an American applying to LSE and Cambridge for economics, along with a bunch of other US schools so I don't have any safeties in the UK.My grades for my AP's which basically 5 AP's seem to be equivalent to 3 A Levels are 12 5's (max score), 3 4's, and a 3 in an irrelevant subject that was on a 45 min test.My extracurriculars include a multi state economics association, being a lifetime fellow in the American Junior Academy of Sciences in Mathematics on a Mathematical Finance project, and having the best ranking of 12th in the US for econ for my team, and 1st in Tx, as well as top 12 in nation for personal finance. I am currently on a gap year.

Idk much about the American education system but it sounds like you’ve got a good application. I’m on a gap year too. What are you doing atm in your gap year?
Multivariable calculus at the Harvard extension school, writing a crazy amount of essays for all of the US schools because they all have their own individual supplements, and trying to learn Spanish Bc US schools have language requirements, but it’s not going to well so far lol.
Also just tutored for 3 hrs

Latest