The Student Room Group

Economics applicants thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joker231
Hi guys, I’m an offer holder for econ at both Bristol and Nottingham. I’m aware that roughly they are the same in job prospects and the only thing separating them is the student life. What would you recommended. I am from london so I feel like a city is nice but also think Nottingham is also a very nice place with a beautiful campus. Any opinions? Ty.

I’ve got an econ offer for notts and spent time in both Bristol and Nottingham. The cities are actually more similar than you would think the nightlife is slightly different though. Nottingham is more of your typical city night life whereas Bristol felt slightly different. But that’s just my opinion
I'm an international student applying for 2021 and I'm already done with my a levels. Got no work experience or anything. Skimmed through a few course related books about economics. Got just my grades and sheer will for the subject. How can I make my personal statement worthwhile? Also looking for universities with scholarships of some sort
Anyone heard back from Leeds bsc economics if so when
Original post by Salmanasif

Yes heard back in December probably about 3-4 weeks after applying
Original post by MJA2802
Yes heard back in December probably about 3-4 weeks after applying

What we're your predicted grades?
What we're your predicted grades?

A*A*A* in accounting, economics and geography
Original post by MJA2802
A*A*A* in accounting, economics and geography

Don't you need maths for bsc
Don't you need maths for bsc

Not at Leeds no

Yeah I heard from them on the 9th of march for pure econ.
I haven't heard back from Leeds applied late Jan, I've already got AAA, and predicted A*A*. Don't understand why I've not heard back or probably been rejected.
economics at nottingham or finance at durham? Pros and cons of these two and which one overall please
I have offers from Bristol for econ and Edinburgh (2nd yr direct entry) for econ with management science. Rejected from LSE :frown: . International student here , can anyone please suggest which Uni to finalise between the two? I’m very confused. Heard Bristol econ is better plus being close to london is a perk. Edin ranking is higher and beautiful place. Which ones better?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Legiterspams
I have offers from Bristol for econ and Edinburgh (2nd yr direct entry) for econ with management science. Rejected from LSE :frown: . International student here , can anyone please suggest which Uni to finalise between the two? I’m very confused. Heard Bristol econ is better plus being close to london is a perk. Edin ranking is higher and beautiful place. Which ones better?

Bristol
Original post by Goku's Hairbrush
have you got any offers, thinking about doing a gap year next year and ill probably apply to the same unis as you tbh

Yes! I got an offer for E&M at Oxford. Also got offers for pure Econ and E&M at KCL. Rejected by UCL for pure Econ (lol) and still waiting for a decision from LSE (for pure Econ). FYI I'll be firming Oxford ofc.

P.S. Soz for the late reply, I haven't been on TSR in months since I was doing my uni applications.
Reply 114
Hi, I’m currently at the end of year 11, what would you guys suggest I do to boost my application for a Bsc in economics. I’m looking at courses and other ways to prove economic experience but I haven’t found much luck. I picked Maths, Economics, Physics for A levels, and predict almost all level 8s and 9s in GCSEs.I want to apply for Cambridge, LSE or UCL. And would sincerely appreciate your guys help for boosting my application. Thanks!
Original post by IramT
Hi, I’m currently at the end of year 11, what would you guys suggest I do to boost my application for a Bsc in economics. I’m looking at courses and other ways to prove economic experience but I haven’t found much luck. I picked Maths, Economics, Physics for A levels, and predict almost all level 8s and 9s in GCSEs.I want to apply for Cambridge, LSE or UCL. And would sincerely appreciate your guys help for boosting my application. Thanks!

(FYI I got accepted at Oxford for E&M, and have previously been accepted at LSE and UCL too, both for econ).
1. Good choice of A-levels. I suggest also doing Furthet Maths as a forth (important for Cam and LSE econ). Then get top predictions (as many A* as possible, some As are fine.
2. and consider doing the EPQ too (ideally in year 12, and write about an econ related topic as it shows extracurricular interest in econ, as well and writing and research skills).
3. Read multiple econ books and write about them in your P.S (v important).
4. Read the econ news and demonstrate understand of these current econ events in your P.S.
5. Try get some econ related work experience (be it finance or otherwise, and however basic) and link that into econ in your P.S.
5. Add something unrelated to econ at the end to show your not a robot (a sport, instrument etc, ideally one that you can quantify your achievements in).
6. Prep for the Cambridge TSA (crucial to get an interview). I recommend doing every past paper, maybe even multiple times.
Do all that well and you’ll be well on your way
Edit and P.S: you’re starting early which is great, work hard from now and you’ll have a chance. Good luck
Also, courses are good. I did free ones in financial economics from the Open University and wrote about them in my P.S
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by I like bread
(FYI I got accepted at Oxford for E&M, and have previously been accepted at LSE and UCL too, both for econ).
1. Good choice of A-levels. I suggest also doing Furthet Maths as a forth (important for Cam and LSE econ). Then get top predictions (as many A* as possible, some As are fine.
2. and consider doing the EPQ too (ideally in year 12, and write about an econ related topic as it shows extracurricular interest in econ, as well and writing and research skills).
4. Read the econ news and demonstrate understand of these current econ events in your P.S.
5. Try get some econ related work experience (be it finance or otherwise, and however basic) and link that into econ in your P.S.
5. Add something unrelated to econ at the end to show your not a robot (a sport, instrument etc, ideally one that you can quantify your achievements in).
6. Prep for the Cambridge TSA (crucial to get an interview). I recommend doing every past paper, maybe even multiple times.
Edit and P.S: you’re starting early which is great, work hard from now and you’ll have a chance. Good luck
Also, courses are good. I did free ones in financial economics from the Open University and wrote about them in my P.S

Hey thanks for the helpful reply!
I really don’t think I’ll be able to take further maths A level, and my initial plan was to get an A* in maths and hope that be satisfactory. Would you recommend E + M at Oxford instead as it would better suit my A level options? I have a heavy interest in economics and was wondering how economics and maths heavy the course was as you’ve had first hand experience. Also what specific books or courses would you recommend I take/read over the summer? Thank you so much for the help!

P.S where can I find some helpful courses if you don’t mind me asking? Thx
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IramT
Hey thanks for the helpful reply!
I really don’t think I’ll be able to take further maths A level, and my initial plan was to get an A* in maths and hope that be satisfactory. Would you recommend E + M at Oxford instead as it would better suit my A level options? I have a heavy interest in economics and was wondering how economics and maths heavy the course was as you’ve had first hand experience. Also what specific books or courses would you recommend I take/read over the summer? Thank you so much for the help!

P.S where can I find some helpful courses if you don’t mind me asking? Thx

Your welcome :smile:
Further Maths is 95% necessary for LSE, so be aware of that. Cam also want it, ideally. Yes, Ox would be a better option since they don’t mind about no Further Maths. I’m actually still on my gap year (starting this Oct) so I can’t tell you much about E&M yet. But I do know that it’s less mathematical than Cam and LSE, but still mathematical nonetheless (the econ bit is Mathsy, management is far more about essays only). Books on my P.S: Keynes’ general theory of employment, interest and money. Doughnut economics, the undercover economist, nudge, the euro. Those are the ones I remember anyway. You could read some of those, or anything similar.
Look at the Open University to see if they still offer free financial econ courses, but I Think it was a lockdown only thing. So maybe look elsewhere. I head Yale do a financial econ free course, if that’s still about. If not, look around
P.S. some of further maths helps with the maths at Ox econ part of E&M. Just saying, bc most ppl wish they’d taken it. I did, so much so that I learnt it all in year 13 once I realised my mistake, and let me tell you, it was not fun
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IramT

Cambridge and LSE will be out of the question if you don't pick to do further maths at A level unless your college doesn't do it. UCL would also be a huge bet without Further Maths. Cambridge also looks at 'super curriculars' which is different from extracurriculars so make sure to have a look at that. Also, read up on your favourite economics books and write about them in your personal statement.
Original post by I like bread

Thanks for the advice!