The Student Room Group

Economics applicants thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

1. I'm doing IB with predicted 44/45 HL 777 (Maths AA, Geography, English) since Economics is not offered at my school.
2-3. Applying for Oxford Economics&Management (Balliol) and LSE BSc Management
4. I won a local economic essay writing competition, wrote 2 articles to school newspaper, advanced to 3rd stage of entrepreneurship competition, did 3 online financial courses with companies like BCG, PwC, attended several MUNs in economic committees, won a mathematical high school competition in my town, actively continue to read several books about management and mechanisms of economy (over 20 this year) also volunteered at 2 local enterprises and worked part - time for a month during the holidays.
Recently sent off my application to study Economics (2021 Entry)
1) Predicted Grades - A*A*A*A*A (Mathematics, Economics, Chemistry, EPQ, Further Mathematics)
2) Universities That I Applied To - Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Bath
Reply 22
1. AS grades & Subjects: we haven't done AS exams but my predicted grades are A*A*A*AA* (maths, fm, economics, history, EPQ)
2. University choices (if you’ve received any offers etc): Cambridge (interviewed, decision pending); UCL (offer); LSE (decision pending); Warwick (offer); Nottingham (offer)
3. Courses ur applying for: straight Econ
4. Extracurriculars/books/podcasts anything: wider reading, essay competitions, maths challenges, MUN, debating
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi i’m predicted A*A*A math economics and geography got A* in EPQ
I’m liking Nottingham and Leeds didn’t like Warwick didn’t apply to Cambridge as i don’t have further math
I’m not sure of where-else to apply
I have economics for 4 of my choices (Oxford, Bristol, Edinburgh and St Andrew's). The other choice is actuarial science at LSE but im not sure if I should do this degree as it might limit me to one career. Does anyone reccomend another economics/maths related course in London that gives a wide choice of careers? Im currently studying biology, chemistry, economics and maths (predicted 4A*s)
Original post by Darragh7
I have economics for 4 of my choices (Oxford, Bristol, Edinburgh and St Andrew's). The other choice is actuarial science at LSE but im not sure if I should do this degree as it might limit me to one career. Does anyone reccomend another economics/maths related course in London that gives a wide choice of careers? Im currently studying biology, chemistry, economics and maths (predicted 4A*s)

Guessing you applied to Oxford for E&M? I’d recommend LSE Management tbh, though it doesn’t have the word ‘Economics’ in its title, if you look at the modules that you’ve got to take/ optional ones as well, a large proportion of them are Economics
Original post by confuzzledteen
Guessing you applied to Oxford for E&M? I’d recommend LSE Management tbh, though it doesn’t have the word ‘Economics’ in its title, if you look at the modules that you’ve got to take/ optional ones as well, a large proportion of them are Economics

I haven't mentioned management in my personal statement though, could this be a problem?
I haven't mentioned management in my personal statement though, could this be a problem?

Oh, you didn’t mention Management in your PS for Oxford E&M? And yeah mm maybe not then. Have you thought about just simple Economics + Math? like that’s the degree title xD
Oh, you didn’t mention Management in your PS for Oxford E&M? And yeah mm maybe not then. Have you thought about just simple Economics + Math? like that’s the degree title xD

I did a management course in school and its mentioned in my reference from school. There's not much space in the ps. Ive applied for that in my other 3 unis. What are u applying to?
I did a management course in school and its mentioned in my reference from school. There's not much space in the ps. Ive applied for that in my other 3 unis. What are u applying to?

I’ve applied for Pure Economics at Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Bath x
I’ve applied for Pure Economics at Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Bath x

Nice! I was thinking about putting econ at lse or ucl. Do you need further maths?
Nice! I was thinking about putting econ at lse or ucl. Do you need further maths?

If you don't take FM, you probably have a better shot at UCL as LSE lists FM as "highly desirable" & most successful applicants have it x At least that's what my teacher told me haha
If you don't take FM, you probably have a better shot at UCL as LSE lists FM as "highly desirable" & most successful applicants have it x At least that's what my teacher told me haha

Think I might change it then, would like to be a student in London but its really expensive
Original post by a-level2019
hey :smile:
1. Predicted grades A*A*A*A* (maths, further maths, physics, economics)
2. University choices: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick Nottingham
3. Applying for straight econ

Anyone got any offers yet?

None yet ;/ You? Which college did you apply to (Cambridge)? x
Reply 34
Hi,
1. Achieved A levels: A*A*A*A (bio, psychology, spanish and chemistry) and an A* in EPQ and predicted A* in Maths.
2. Applying to UCL, Warwick, St Andrew's and Bath. Not sure about my last choice. Any suggestions?
Hi guys 😊 I’m 17
1. Predicted’s: A*A*A*A (maths, further maths,econ,chem)
2. Applying to Cambridge (long shot lmao), ucl, Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle
Feeling a bit dumb looking at all u guys’ flipping amazing grades omg
Original post by blschanji
Hi guys 😊 I’m 17
1. Predicted’s: A*A*A*A (maths, further maths,econ,chem)
2. Applying to Cambridge (long shot lmao), ucl, Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle
Feeling a bit dumb looking at all u guys’ flipping amazing grades omg

Damn I have the same stats as you, except my A* is for Chem and A for FM :smile:
Hey I'm Kat! I'm a retake student (kinda) after I didn't get the grades I needed for uni last year.
1. I'm taking Economics, Geography and maths this year, predicted A*A*A (in order). For my GCSE's I got 9, 8, 6, 6, A*, A*, A*, A*, A*, A, B. I took an AS in economics and got a B. Last year I was predicted AAA but was awarded BBC by my teachers (I took German ALevel that year instead of Geography - ew).
2. I've applied for Bath, Bristol (offer - A*AA), Edinburgh, KCL and Loughborough (offer - AAB).
3. I've applied for BSc Economics for all of them, with a placement year at both bath and Loughborough.
4. I played senior lacrosse for 3 years (x2 national champs in 2019 and 2020) and netball for 2 years (x1 county champs). I've read: Poor economics, natural capital and nudge. I entered the RES essay comp in 2019. I did a research project of the history of the economics of the reunification of Germany. I did Gold DofE, involving 120 hours of volunteering including lacrosse coaching for 11 year olds.
Hi everyone - thought I'd jump into this thread quickly to mention The University of Sheffield's upcoming virtual taster session in Economics, titled 'Discussing inequality in an unequal world'. This session is ran by Economics lecturers at TUOS, and will last around an hour and a half.

As well as expanding your subject knowledge, they will give you a great insight into what teaching is like at University-level and (most importantly!?) are a great extra curricular to talk about in a personal statement, or in any interviews you have coming up. They'll really show off that you know your stuff and that you have a genuine passion for Economics, whether you're applying to The University of Sheffield or not.

These sessions do have capacity limits, so I'd recommend signing up ASAP. The link to sign up is here.
Let me know if you have any questions about these sessions, or anything about Sheffield or University life in general!

- Ellie :smile:
MEng Chemical Engineering Graduate
Does anyone know when LSE decisions will start coming out?

Latest

Trending

Trending