The Student Room Group

Economics applicants thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I like bread
(FYI I got accepted at Oxford for E&M, and have previously been accepted at LSE and UCL too, both for econ).
1. Good choice of A-levels. I suggest also doing Furthet Maths as a forth (important for Cam and LSE econ). Then get top predictions (as many A* as possible, some As are fine.
2. and consider doing the EPQ too (ideally in year 12, and write about an econ related topic as it shows extracurricular interest in econ, as well and writing and research skills).
3. Read multiple econ books and write about them in your P.S (v important).
4. Read the econ news and demonstrate understand of these current econ events in your P.S.
5. Try get some econ related work experience (be it finance or otherwise, and however basic) and link that into econ in your P.S.
5. Add something unrelated to econ at the end to show your not a robot (a sport, instrument etc, ideally one that you can quantify your achievements in).
6. Prep for the Cambridge TSA (crucial to get an interview). I recommend doing every past paper, maybe even multiple times.
Do all that well and you’ll be well on your way
Edit and P.S: you’re starting early which is great, work hard from now and you’ll have a chance. Good luck
Also, courses are good. I did free ones in financial economics from the Open University and wrote about them in my P.S

:smile:
Reply 121
Hey guys, (this is not an ad btw, just thought some ppl might be interested).. I’m working with some PhD students (two of whom are at Oxford) who are conducting an experiment to investigate how willing people are to share vaccines with low-income countries. They’re also looking into whether people donate more for altruistic or self-interest purposes (amongst other factors). To have the resources to conduct this experiment, the students have launched a page where people can support/sponsor them and so if any of you are interested in seeing the outcome of this project and are able to do so, please do feel free to donate what you can on their fundraising page. And if you’re just interested in reading more about the project, I’ll leave their website/ fundraising page below, and there’s more info on both of those x. If you’ve read all the way till the end, thank you! and if you have any questions about the project, feel free to ask x
Hey everyone, I would like to know the differences between lse and cambridge on how students are assessed specifically exam wise. I couldn't find answers to my question on their website. For example, say there is an exam on january first year the content covered from the beginning up until Jan unless stated otherwise will be covered. And so, for the may exams will the content covered be from Jan to May or the whole year? Thanks x
Is Warwick good for economics or I should try next year for something better ?
Original post by I like bread
Your welcome :smile:
Further Maths is 95% necessary for LSE, so be aware of that. Cam also want it, ideally. Yes, Ox would be a better option since they don’t mind about no Further Maths. I’m actually still on my gap year (starting this Oct) so I can’t tell you much about E&M yet. But I do know that it’s less mathematical than Cam and LSE, but still mathematical nonetheless (the econ bit is Mathsy, management is far more about essays only). Books on my P.S: Keynes’ general theory of employment, interest and money. Doughnut economics, the undercover economist, nudge, the euro. Those are the ones I remember anyway. You could read some of those, or anything similar.
Look at the Open University to see if they still offer free financial econ courses, but I Think it was a lockdown only thing. So maybe look elsewhere. I head Yale do a financial econ free course, if that’s still about. If not, look around
P.S. some of further maths helps with the maths at Ox econ part of E&M. Just saying, bc most ppl wish they’d taken it. I did, so much so that I learnt it all in year 13 once I realised my mistake, and let me tell you, it was not fun

Hi I’m also in yr 11 and I was wondering if you think fm,maths,economics + epq for alevel is good enough for unis like lse, ucl and Cambridge

thank you :smile:
I have just passed GCSE and got an 8 in Maths. The rest of the 8 grades are 7 with one 6 in Spanish. Will there be any chance for me to be considered for Maths Economics at Warick/LSE? Or it is out of question?
Original post by Momabear786
I have just passed GCSE and got an 8 in Maths. The rest of the 8 grades are 7 with one 6 in Spanish. Will there be any chance for me to be considered for Maths Economics at Warick/LSE? Or it is out of question?

A levels would be more important, make sure you take further maths if you want a shot at LSE / Warwick. I would suggest taking Maths, Further maths and two others
Anyone know what's happening for summer 2022 resit students next year? Wondering if my private tutor is allowed to give me predicted grades because my school won't give me the ones I need to apply
Original post by Laurence00
A levels would be more important, make sure you take further maths if you want a shot at LSE / Warwick. I would suggest taking Maths, Further maths and two others

Thank you for the response. I had opted for EPQ but I am thinking about FM again. My other two are Economics and CS.
Im thinking of doing economics for a level but wanted to do macroeconomics AP just to try it out. Would that be unnecessary? Would doing the a levels be rlly repetitive? btw my school doesnt offer gcse economics
Original post by Raja12
am I the only one without a-level maths, that is going to be applying to economics? I do biology, chemistry and geography A-Levels. Also, do Core Maths.

Going to be applying to:

-University of Nottingham- Economics and Philosophy
-University of Manchester- Economics and Finance
-University of St Andrews- Financial Economics
-University of Durham- Finance
-Cass Business School- Something Econ related

Let me know how it went, did you get any offers because I do math a level either
Original post by Jamal5050
Let me know how it went, did you get any offers because I do math a level either

I got all my offers except from Nottingham?
Anyone doing econ at KCL??
Hey!

I'm in a difficult situation because my school isn't giving me the predicted grades I need to apply to university next year. I'm resitting for summer 2022 because my TAGs were not good enough (I know they were inflated this year in general, but not with my school apparently). I wanna study economics at a top 16 uni because they have really good job prospects, so it looks like I might have to take 2 gap years. Anyone got advice on my next move? Any way I could get predicted grades outside of my school?
I do the same subjects as you and would like to apply for econ at Cambridge and lse. Do you have any tips for the subjects and would you recommend me doing an EPQ?
Original post by confuzzledteen
Recently sent off my application to study Economics (2021 Entry)
1) Predicted Grades - A*A*A*A*A (Mathematics, Economicsi, Chemistry, EPQ, Further Mathematics)
2) Universities That I Applied To - Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Bath

I’m doing the exact same subjects as you and I would love to apply for econ at Cambridge/Oxford and lse and more.
Do you have any tips for the subjects and would you recommend me doing an epq.
Also do you have any supercurricales I could do.
Original post by snollama2030
Hey!

I'm in a difficult situation because my school isn't giving me the predicted grades I need to apply to university next year. I'm resitting for summer 2022 because my TAGs were not good enough (I know they were inflated this year in general, but not with my school apparently). I wanna study economics at a top 16 uni because they have really good job prospects, so it looks like I might have to take 2 gap years. Anyone got advice on my next move? Any way I could get predicted grades outside of my school?

Hi @snollama2030 I'm a recent graduate at The University of Sheffield, and hope I can help with your question.

Which Economics course are you looking at studying as at Sheffield, we offer UG single honours BA and BSc Economics (AAB) and Economics with Finance (AAA) and other UG dual honours courses. Therefore, depending on the course of study, the grade and entry requirements do differ.

To explore which Economic courses The University of Sheffield offer click here:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/courses

Generally speaking there is sometimes an option to study a subject with a Foundation Year, and this can mean that the entry requirements to get onto that course can be lower than if you just did the course without the Foundation Year. It is worth looking into at other Universities especially if you are not expected to achieve the grades necessary for a 3 year degree in Economics at Universities you have looked at.

Hope this helps you.

If you have anymore questions, please do ask!

Eleanor
BSc Geography Grad!
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @snollama2030 I'm a recent graduate at The University of Sheffield, and hope I can help with your question.

Which Economics course are you looking at studying as at Sheffield, we offer UG single honours BA and BSc Economics (AAB) and Economics with Finance (AAA) and other UG dual honours courses. Therefore, depending on the course of study, the grade and entry requirements do differ.

To explore which Economic courses The University of Sheffield offer click here:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/courses

Generally speaking there is sometimes an option to study a subject with a Foundation Year, and this can mean that the entry requirements to get onto that course can be lower than if you just did the course without the Foundation Year. It is worth looking into at other Universities especially if you are not expected to achieve the grades necessary for a 3 year degree in Economics at Universities you have looked at.

Hope this helps you.

If you have anymore questions, please do ask!

Eleanor
BSc Geography Grad!

Hey! Thanks for the reply. Do I need to meet any specific requirements for a foundation year in that case?
Original post by Raja12
I got all my offers except from Nottingham?

Nice one man, what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by snollama2030
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Do I need to meet any specific requirements for a foundation year in that case?

Hey @snollama2030 thank you for your question!

For Economics, we do not offer a Foundation Year option, however this is the link for which subjects we offer with a Foundation Year: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dll/courses/foundation

With regards to Foundation Year criteria and entry requirements please follow this link https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dll/entry-requirements.

Everything you need to know is on here. If you have further questions please ask me or alternatively email the department admissions team who will be able to help you further.

Eleanor :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending