The Student Room Group

Your biggest strength and weakness?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by vix.xvi
why do you like swimming so much?

whats your story, if you don't mind me asking, I'm very curious! :h:

there is no story. I have just been swimming all my life and I love it. SO. HUGGING. MUCH.
Original post by The University of Law Students
@Legomenon

Haha yep love that you used the same for both! Could you possibly expand on them- use examples of how this works as Both a strength and a weakness?

You know that's actually a good question, because while I meant it as a joke it is actually very true of me lol.

Strength: Perfectionism means that when I've done a task, I've done it to the best of my ability and it's always something I can be proud of. I can derive a lot of pleasure from looking at the finished product.

Weakness: Lots and lots of essentially wasted time, trying to make something 'perfect' and look fancy when it's good enough. Very slow to start tasks, often even procrastinate, due to unrealistically high expectations for the end result. Extra unnecessary stress.

I am not sure whether it's been more of a strength or a weakness overall for me tbh. I know that there's a balance to be struck but still not sure where that line is. We'll start when I start working, but I will probably need to greatly reduce my (somewhat compulsive) perfectionism at that point!
Original post by DrawTheLine
They're both the same for me. I'm very critical of myself. This is good because it means I won't half-attempt a task and I always make sure I do the best I can. However, it also means I am rarely happy with anything I do and never feel happy handing in a piece of work, meaning I can get a bit stressed out unnecessarily.

I've just realised this is very similar to my perfectionism problem outlined above! Although in my case I do generally feel happy with work I hand in, it's just that I've spent a ludicrous length of time on it... Regardless I think it's a lot better than being on the apathetic side, because at the least you'll perform very well on the longer-term and more important things.
@bones-mccoy

Wow really love this answer - definitely my favourite!

They are such good traits to have! What do you want to go into career wise may I ask? This is the perfect answer for a lot of jobs!

I’m similar to you, very passionate about certain topics, for example animals, and I find myself overly sensitive about such topics! Likely you said though, it is also a very good strength

I'm aiming to become a Forensic Psychologist so the empathy and compassion are really useful traits to have! I already volunteer within the prison service and being empathetic is really important in working with offenders

I guess the sensitivity can be an issue if things start to affect me too much, if I become too emotionally involved it means I can't stay objective which impacts my work. At the moment I'm okay with compartmentalising things and almost taking a step back, but I'm sure when I'm qualified and working with more at risk individuals it will be more of a struggle. That's why supervision and reflection are both so important in an area such as psychology, it gives you the opportunity to discuss situations with other people and explain how you're feeling.
My biggest strength is that I just keep going. It doesn’t matter what I’m confronted with in life, I always keep going and get back up again and give it my all no matter what. So I suppose my determination.

My biggest weakness would be that I’m impatient, with myself and with others. I don’t like to sit around and wait for things or for people to happen, which can be a good thing because it means I always get things done and don’t rely on others to do things for me, but it’s also a weakness because it means I can be very hard on myself if I can’t do something, and I expect too much from others as well.
Strength: My determination
Weakness: Being too sensitive
@firdouss

Unsure what bts is but im sure your weakness is not everything!! :-)
@LovelyMrFox

Absolutely love that strength! Such a good one and shows your determination & dedication! Yes that is also a good one, and I like how you have seen that it can be a weakness too.. it is true but ultimately a great value to have I think and shows your loyalty!

Spelling is a very minor weakness so that is good! As long as you proof read then there’s no issue! Ooh okay I think a lot of people can be the same! But indecisiveness can be seen as a positive as you take your time to consider all possibilities. And the same with stubbornness- you stand by what you believe in

Great answers!!
@richmkay

Ooh ok yes I like how you turned that around!! Very well done and I think it’s a good skill as you always strive for the best!

Hmm yes another used said this! It can be seen as both good and bad, but can also be something to work on!
@ella’s words

Love your strength! I’m the same. I think it is such an important thing to have and I’m sure you will go very far in life and your career!

Ooh ok that’s not a bad weakness and also relate haha! Sometimes it’s good to take a step back, however also good to be able to lead so balance is key I think! If I were using this in an interview, I would probably counteract it and say that I’m learning and insert an example e.g a time where I’ve led a team
@imaniii

That is such a great strength, probably my favourite! Definitely a good one for an employer to hear too!! Empathy is also a great one, what career do you want to go into? It’s particularly good for certain ones!

Okay I get that weakness, think everyone can be like that! Perhaps in an interview tone that down a bit of maybe show a time when you’ve not been like that! For example, independence is such a good skill to have but should be counteracted with the ability to work well in a Team too :-)
Original post by β0b
just then, when I changed incompetence in everything to aware of my incompetence to knowing I can always improve. in all seriousness though, I was in a STEM competition where I was the CAD designer and lead researcher. It was my job to test and improve the design repeatedly. I also apply this to swimming. my one motive for staying in shape is improving my swimming capability. I like rock climbing because it also exercises the muscles I use for swimming. If I love something, I WILL find how to get better at it.
oh, and I meant, my job weakness is the fact that I love swimming. you know, because you can't say anything negative and all.

True tbf acknowledging your own weaknesses is a strength in itself!

Ahh that sounds so cool! It’s always good to constantly improve.

And wow so active... I also LOVE rock climbing! Very good answer and shows your determination!

Haha I see okay!
Original post by Legomenon
You know that's actually a good question, because while I meant it as a joke it is actually very true of me lol.

Strength: Perfectionism means that when I've done a task, I've done it to the best of my ability and it's always something I can be proud of. I can derive a lot of pleasure from looking at the finished product.

Weakness: Lots and lots of essentially wasted time, trying to make something 'perfect' and look fancy when it's good enough. Very slow to start tasks, often even procrastinate, due to unrealistically high expectations for the end result. Extra unnecessary stress.

I am not sure whether it's been more of a strength or a weakness overall for me tbh. I know that there's a balance to be struck but still not sure where that line is. We'll start when I start working, but I will probably need to greatly reduce my (somewhat compulsive) perfectionism at that point!

Yes haha realised it was a joke but presumed it was also true!

Yes love that expanded strength so much! It really shows how much you strive for the best and an employer would love to hear that! I’m sure you have and will continue to be very successful!

Yes ok I get all of those weaknesses! A well thought out answer. Perhaps in an interview focus on one, for example the unrealistically high expectations is a good one as it still can be seen as a positive and the fact that you hold yourself to a high standard :-)
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm aiming to become a Forensic Psychologist so the empathy and compassion are really useful traits to have! I already volunteer within the prison service and being empathetic is really important in working with offenders

I guess the sensitivity can be an issue if things start to affect me too much, if I become too emotionally involved it means I can't stay objective which impacts my work. At the moment I'm okay with compartmentalising things and almost taking a step back, but I'm sure when I'm qualified and working with more at risk individuals it will be more of a struggle. That's why supervision and reflection are both so important in an area such as psychology, it gives you the opportunity to discuss situations with other people and explain how you're feeling.

Oh wow ok yes those traits are perfect for the job and I can see why you’re going into it!

I love psychology so much. My mum also volunteers with a prison service OMG! Is it with Samaritans? I think it’s such a nice thing to do and looks so good to employers too. Yes very true, really like how you linked the trait to your volunteer work!

Ah yeah ok I can see that! Again, such a brilliant answer, you’ve stayed your weakness and explained how it can happen but then provided a solution by talking about supervision and reflection! Also, as time goes on you will become more used to it

Really, really great answers!!
Original post by Anonymous17!
My biggest strength is that I just keep going. It doesn’t matter what I’m confronted with in life, I always keep going and get back up again and give it my all no matter what. So I suppose my determination.

My biggest weakness would be that I’m impatient, with myself and with others. I don’t like to sit around and wait for things or for people to happen, which can be a good thing because it means I always get things done and don’t rely on others to do things for me, but it’s also a weakness because it means I can be very hard on myself if I can’t do something, and I expect too much from others as well.

Such a great strength!! Shows your personality off really well and employers will really love that. Can you think of an example in your life where this trait has shown?

Again, brilliant answer! You’ve identified a weakness but turned it into a strength by saying it gets things done quickly! Being hard on yourself is bad but can also be good because you have high standards so work will be good. Great answers :-)
Original post by Lyndsey.95
Strength: My determination
Weakness: Being too sensitive

Love both of those answers! Sensitive isn’t always a bad thing either. Can you give examples?
Love both of those answers! Sensitive isn’t always a bad thing either. Can you give examples?

Thank you. I'm very emotional and get upset over the slightest thing.
strength - my conscience
weakness - criticizing myself and always having to do well and being nervous for something unimportant.
@imaniii

That is such a great strength, probably my favourite! Definitely a good one for an employer to hear too!! Empathy is also a great one, what career do you want to go into? It’s particularly good for certain ones!

Okay I get that weakness, think everyone can be like that! Perhaps in an interview tone that down a bit of maybe show a time when you’ve not been like that! For example, independence is such a good skill to have but should be counteracted with the ability to work well in a Team too :-)

Thank you very much for the advice :smile:)
Such a great strength!! Shows your personality off really well and employers will really love that. Can you think of an example in your life where this trait has shown?

Again, brilliant answer! You’ve identified a weakness but turned it into a strength by saying it gets things done quickly! Being hard on yourself is bad but can also be good because you have high standards so work will be good. Great answers :-)

A recent example would be when I applied to medical school in October and I got rejected from all my choices. My predicted grades were too low and so was my ucat score, so I can’t even go through clearing. However, I didn’t let it deter me and I put 100% effort into mocks, which I had just before lockdown. I’m not letting the rejection stop me from pursuing my dream and I’m putting in as much work to make sure my ucat is competitive this year, and will even take autumn exams if my a-levels aren’t what they need to be. I plan on applying to medical school again this year because I’m determined to become a doctor :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest