The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to do lots of work?

I don't understand why it's so hard. Whenever I sit down, I really do want to do lots of work but, it's really hard to do. Not like as in its difficult work, it just seem overwhelming and frustrating and I usually get distracted by playing games or family members.

Any suggestions on how I can get lots of work done in a short period of time, would be greatly appreciated. I don't really mind pushing myself as long as I can get as much done as possible.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't understand why it's so hard. Whenever I sit down, I really do want to do lots of work but, it's really hard to do. Not like as in its difficult work, it just seem overwhelming and frustrating and I usually get distracted by playing games or family members.

Any suggestions on how I can get lots of work done in a short period of time, would be greatly appreciated. I don't really mind pushing myself as long as I can get as much done as possible.

Honestly I try and force mysel to study, don't have huge goals e.g to study 6 hours a day as you will get fed up and burn out, putting you off from studying the next day (although some people can). Personally I focus better in the library, seeing other people study motivates me. I've spent hours procrastinating and still do, but try and do something that interests you (maybe you're not at that stage of life, but hopefully it will come). Try and have personal goals, remember studying and doing well opens a lot of doors in the future and you might not see that at the moment, but you won't regret it in the next few years.
By just starting, without thinking about it, forcing yourself up to get started on it. That's probably the biggest hurdle. Once you've started it yoy can tell tourself that no point not finishing it or leaving it half undone. When you take a rest/break motivate yourself that it's half way there and you will have wasted all that time you soent on it before if you just leave it undone now.

Ofc this depends on what exactly it is you are struggling with.
Create an achievable list of topics to complete each day. Tick it off as you go along to give you a sense of accomplishment
sitting down and just working flat out isn’t actually all that great for you. i used to do that, but bit by bit the distractions came along. now, what i do is study by the pomodoro method. 25 minutes study, 5 minutes break. and even then, if you’re in the right mindset and can carry on going, go for it! that’s what i do anyways. i tend to start with the 25:5, but then end up going to 45:5. but in the morning i do 2 hours flat out. it’s finding out what works for you, but long periods flat out aren’t always as good as they seem
What you need to figure out is which specific work/questions/passage of text you are going to tackle and then you can make a start. I'm finding it hard too. :frown:
put. your. distractions. away.

out of sight, out of mind. after a couple of minutes, you'll forget they exist - then you'll feel proud about how much work you've done! be strict on yourself :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest