very urgent!! music people pls help

Watch this thread
rubyxroo
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
'What a fool I've been' Wynton Marshals & the Lincoln Jazz Orchestra. I need literally any information - melody, rhythm, structure, dynamics, texture, tempo, harmony please please please help me <3
RtheBotanist
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Never hear it before but gave a quick listen. Odd song. At the very beginning, the brass plays some very simple resolved melodies around a major triad, using the major (ionian) scale. The rest seems to be based around some very slowly changing diminished and altered dominant chords. The harmony is implied solely for colour rather than as a functional progression to that resolves anywhere. In terms of the melody, the vocal part is very varied in almost every respect. The near lack of pulse (it is around 50bpm but barely shows) allows some interesting rubato. It seems to choose tense notes (any note, given the tonalities). The brass and piano play a blues licks (minor pentatonic+ b3 and b5 notes of the tonal centre chosen) during the first half and towards the end the piano and clarinet play some interesting lines using the half-whole diminished scale and melodic minor. The song closes with some ascending large intervals (4ths) on the piano, to give an unresolved and open sound.

Texturally and dynamically, the song ascends and descends in waves. At each climax, the vocals and other instruments suddenly come together into near rhythmic unison as well as swelling in volume. Percussion plays a purely textural rather than rhythmic role, providing a wash of sound behind everything else at crucial moments.
rubyxroo
Rep:
the song only has like?? 352 views on youtube when i listened. But, THANK U SO MUCH. this has been really helpful. if there's anything else you can add pls do. i quite liked the song
RtheBotanist
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rubyxroo)
the song only has like?? 352 views on youtube when i listened. But, THANK U SO MUCH. this has been really helpful. if there's anything else you can add pls do. i quite liked the song
It is literally everything people hate about jazz, but I actually don't mind it. I tend to go in for even more chaotic experimental stuff like Allan Holdsworth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qJg6xxD4s). What else in particular do you want to know, and what do you need the information about this song for?
rubyxroo
Rep:
okay wow definitely that was a very chaotic piece of music. it's a thing for class and to make notes on stuff happening with the dynamics, melody all that but i am completely stuck.
(Original post by RtheBotanist)
It is literally everything people hate about jazz, but I actually don't mind it. I tend to go in for even more chaotic experimental stuff like Allan Holdsworth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qJg6xxD4s). What else in particular do you want to know, and what do you need the information about this song for?
RtheBotanist
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rubyxroo)
okay wow definitely that was a very chaotic piece of music. it's a thing for class and to make notes on stuff happening with the dynamics, melody all that but i am completely stuck.
Did my initial reply help? Really you should be looking out for these things, not me. I'm going to assume you know most of the vocab.

Melody- slow, rubato. Uses tense notes over the chords. A mixture of steps an leaps for effect. Leaps used in more dramatic fashion. Starts with consonant major scale melody, builds to clarinet solo using tense scales like diminished and melodic minor.

Rhythm- The tempo is 50ish beats per minute. The drums barely give a pulse though. Most instrumental parts are long, held, dotted notes or rubato melodies.

Structure- Not very structured. It just builds up to a crescendo and winds down again, on the whole.

Dynamics- increase and decrease in wave like fashion, peaking at the crescendo about 2/3 of the way in.

Texture- Technically just homophonic, but the arrangement is fairly thin so it almost seems like the singing is alone. Melodies are carried by brass, vocals, piano and clarinet, and they sometimes intertwine. The texture thickens at the climax, and all the smaller crescendos.

Harmony- Dissonant, held, altered dominant and diminished chords, used impressionistically for colour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (117)
37.86%
The paper was reasonable (148)
47.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (30)
9.71%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
4.53%

Watched Threads