The Student Room Group

Mantids, Iced Coffee and a Handful of Luck: Moonbow's Attempt at Blogging!

Welcome To My Blog!!
Thank you so much for making it!
After traumatising TSR with countless threads of mantids eating honey, I feel I should start making a blog for me and the little guys :smile:
Of course, this is going to be the usual jazz~
I will be posting photos, writing poems (I do love writing poems :biggrin:), sharing positive tips and tricks I learn and talking about day to day life and giving ,not just me, but the team a rating for the week!
Short term goals:
Seeing as life is slightly upside down at the moment, I want to set some simple things I would like to get done:
1. Make a news diary of geographical events for the year! It sounds a good plan!
2. Make a few cakes! I can get quite lazy over baking but I am going to conquer my clumsiness and take on the kitchen! Note to self: If you are on a zoom meeting while cooking you make a disaster, not brownies :K:
3. Finish crocheting my orchid mantis for my mum's birthday and write up the pattern neatly!!
4. Try and do a version of Inktober but now because I can't wait that long! (I will post my attempts here :colondollar:).
5. Wear. Your. Glasses!!!
5. Keep my animal crossing island in check! This will mainly be in the New Horizons thread though, so if you want to see I highly suggest you click right here:

Long term goals:
1. Get good A Level grades and do a degree in zoology, so I can get my dream job researching and studying wildlife and bugs at The Natural History Museum!
2. Get over my phobia of injections and the dark. Seriously, they are quite impractical!
3. Possibly get back into acting again. I used to be an extra in Disney films and did a lot of adverts but I gave it up because I didn't want to miss my first day of year seven. Oof :pinch:
4. Create a mantid empire! I'm going to need some more honey for this one :")
5. Help as many people on the way as I can! This one is going to be great :biggrin:
6. Try and be more optimistic, see the world in a less stressful light.
7. Get back older hobbies like fencing and horse riding...

But enough of me rambling! Let's give it a whirl!!!

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Following :biggrin: I love your mantids 🦗
Reply 2
Finally! :woo:
I want a tag! :colone:
Reply 3
Original post by CoolCavy
Following :biggrin: I love your mantids 🦗

Yay! I'll be posting updates on them quite a lot :biggrin: Smaug gets a bit confused why there is a huge camera in his face, so if he looks grumpy or jumps away frantically you know what happened :colondollar:

Thank youuuuuu!! I hope it turns out ok :biggrin:
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Finally! :woo:
I want a tag! :colone:

Of course!!!
Do I tag everyone into updates and stuff? I'll try me best :s-smilie:
Original post by Moonbow
Of course!!!
Do I tag everyone into updates and stuff? I'll try me best :s-smilie:

so i think everytime u make a new announcement/post etc abt ur day - u tag every1 who is interested in reading :biggrin:

including me btw :yeah:
Reply 5
Original post by Raptor Jesus
so i think everytime u make a new announcement/post etc abt ur day - u tag every1 who is interested in reading :biggrin:

including me btw :yeah:

Ohhhh got it! Thankyou :colondollar: This is going to be so fun!
Original post by Moonbow
Ohhhh got it! Thankyou :colondollar: This is going to be so fun!

woohoo.png
Reply 7
Day 1:
First day! Whoohoo :biggrin:
has been quite a quite day, but there have been lots of bugs around! I woke up at 7am to see my mum off to work and began doing some geography work...but procrastinating a lot :redface: Lapis is the only mantid awake still so I'll have to share an update of them later on!
On the dog walk today I had lots of success in the forest! There were so many flower legged beetles and even some younger shield bugs. The green cucumber spider which I found yesterday was still chilling on the leaf so I took a couple of extra photos of him. There were slightly less bees and much more wasps today though, so we'll have to hope the lil bumbles don't get scared away :frown:
5C23C9C2-FB77-4C46-B819-D42EC14A343F.jpeg6C752884-268D-4855-9FD9-ECD8E73D043B - Copy.jpeg6CF1BAD4-6EB6-4851-95A5-3A795ECFC187.jpeg8AB8E876-0B29-4D53-A1BD-9A053E69E869.jpeg81FB58AE-EBAA-442B-B57C-5D57374CD10C - Copy.jpeg60216C27-4CF1-4F5A-AF51-A38E793A4500 - Copy.jpegDAA019EC-FCAC-40FE-9602-A9142D88F608.jpegD2DCC286-47C7-4D0D-9F80-1534F435F6D1.jpeg

Spoiler

Original post by Moonbow
Day 1:
has been quite a quite day, but there have been lots of bugs around! I woke up at 7am to see my mum off to work and began doing some geography work...but procrastinating a lot :redface: Lapis is the only mantid awake still so I'll have to share an update of them later on!
On the dog walk today I had lots of success in the forest! There were so many flower legged beetles and even some younger shield bugs. The green cucumber spider which I found yesterday was still chilling on the leaf so I took a couple of extra photos of him. There were slightly less bees and much more wasps today though, so we'll have to hope the lil bumbles don't get scared away :frown:
5C23C9C2-FB77-4C46-B819-D42EC14A343F.jpeg6C752884-268D-4855-9FD9-ECD8E73D043B - Copy.jpeg6CF1BAD4-6EB6-4851-95A5-3A795ECFC187.jpeg8AB8E876-0B29-4D53-A1BD-9A053E69E869.jpeg81FB58AE-EBAA-442B-B57C-5D57374CD10C - Copy.jpeg60216C27-4CF1-4F5A-AF51-A38E793A4500 - Copy.jpegDAA019EC-FCAC-40FE-9602-A9142D88F608.jpegD2DCC286-47C7-4D0D-9F80-1534F435F6D1.jpeg

Spoiler

thats actually really good photos u took, very clear and noice - i like it :cool:
thx for tagging me too :dance:
Reply 9
thats actually really good photos u took, very clear and noice - i like it :cool:
thx for tagging me too :dance:

No problemo :biggrin:
Thank you! I've got a proper camera coming for my birthday so I can start taking even more! Very excited :yep:
Original post by Moonbow
No problemo :biggrin:
Thank you! I've got a proper camera coming for my birthday so I can start taking even more! Very excited :yep:

noice :biggrin:
yo another bd! - do u want us to do another celebration on the fam thread? its ur choice :s-smilie:
Reply 11
noice :biggrin:
yo another bd! - do u want us to do another celebration on the fam thread? its ur choice :s-smilie:

Sure! I don't know how much I could be on that day but I'd definitely be there :biggrin:
It's July 23rd :colondollar:
Original post by Moonbow
Sure! I don't know how much I could be on that day but I'd definitely be there :biggrin:
It's July 23rd :colondollar:

thats fine i think we got some time to prep more now thx :h:
Reply 13
thats fine i think we got some time to prep more now thx :h:

No thank you!! :biggrin:
I can't wait to see :cool:
Reply 14
Original post by Moonbow
Day 1:

Spoiler

Ooo! That little guy looks adorable!
was a bit late to find this, but i’m here now! :hugs:
because i know you harness the tagging powers, can i please be tagged? ☺️
Reply 16
Original post by ella’s words
was a bit late to find this, but i’m here now! :hugs:
because i know you harness the tagging powers, can i please be tagged? ☺️

Of course! Thank you for joining :hugs:

Original post by LovelyMrFox
Ooo! That little guy looks adorable!

Ikr they are so cute!! 😍
How the hell did I miss this? :hmmm:
Reply 18
Original post by SuperiorPotato
How the hell did I miss this? :hmmm:

Spud! I have no idea :laugh:
You made it here though! :mmm:
Reply 19
Mantid update!!
I can’t go all fancy on my phone with fonts so bare with me but something so wonderful is happening!! :cry2:
My ghost mantids have changed colour!! I know! They’ve gone from deep cocoa to a beautiful green :eek:

It’s natural for them to change colour rarely, but I think green is highly likely to be the recessive gene in these guys due to how uncommon it can be in some cases!
What’s surprised me though is that this is meant to happen on their 4th instar (moult), but they had their mould last week!? Due to the sudden change, I thought Mushroom needed a more fitting name, so she is now Lumin(short for luminous :colondollar:). She had her first run out of the cage today on my hand and she loved it! Quite shy compared to Smaug (who is the smallest. Oh the irony :facepalm:) but she loves honey! I hope to get my ghost mantids more tame by the end of the week :redface:
This was her literally two days ago colour wise:
ABB8C7F5-F1BC-460B-98FA-9565374F849B.jpeg
And this is her now! See why I’m so shocked :laugh:
9D79939B-5682-4D55-9D20-CE06DF38991D.jpeg
I always wanted a green ghostie so I am thrilled with them :love: Hobbit is showing signs of changing to a green too! The boys are staying brown though, which is a useful way of determine the sex from afar now (females are slightly more aggressive so you need to keep an eye on them).
Here is Hobbit on her way to a green, I think? She’s definitely more aggressive but one blob of honey is the way to any mantids heart!!
A551B63E-23EE-4DC4-95E1-EB6307A3E808.jpeg
I know not everyone knows who these mantids are, so I’ll make a separate intro post for you to meet the team!

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest