Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks.

Well I got a citation for Jury Service. Have to go tomorrow. It's in Glasgow Sheriff Court.

I know that means it's unlikely to be a murder case or anything big/elaborate.

But I really can't be ****ed with going to court everyday for too long. So I'm just wondering what kind of cases get tossed around the Sheriff Courts, and how long I'm likely to be there at the maximum.

40 people go up and only 15 get picked, so large chance I won't have to do it, but still... : )

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Try and give the impression you're a really unreasonably, unlogical person.

Go in discussing conspiracy theories, they'll love that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    Try and give the impression you're a really unreasonably, unlogical person.

Go in discussing conspiracy theories, they'll love that.
    I was thinking of going in spitting prejudices.

"I bet you it's a ****ing chav. It's always a chav. They're bringing this country to ****, I'd like to see them all banged up, that's what I'd like to see. Guilty or not, if you look like you wear a tracksuit, you're gone. Chavs. Them and black people... or the polish. They're all at it. They did 9/11 you know."

ReputationRep:
    if its a chav then find him GUILTY! lol

ReputationRep:
    If you have to do it, do you get your lunch for free?

ReputationRep:
    or if you're really nervous, then stand in the middle of the courtroom with one of those grey wigs on your head flapping your arms about like a butterfly-you shouldn't be there too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Well, even if you do, I still have to pay 3 quid to get there on the train, and 1 quid on the subway... and I only get a fraction of that reimbursed. All in all I'm losing money...

ReputationRep:
    It could literally be anything. If its a criminal case then it would probably be very short and sweet and resolved within a week I'd think.

ReputationRep:
    Declare you're racist.

I'm pretty sure they won't let a racist person be on the jury, but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    you should go, you might like it. the feeling of having control over someones fate can be... interesting to say the least , go.

ReputationRep:
    My nan has actually been called in twice for jury service.

(Original post by Mush)
    I was thinking of going in spitting prejudices.

"I bet you it's a ****ing chav. It's always a chav. They're bringing this country to ****, I'd like to see them all banged up, that's what I'd like to see. Guilty or not, if you look like you wear a tracksuit, you're gone. Chavs. Them and black people... or the polish. They're all at it. They did 9/11 you know."
    This really is from the Simpson but just say 'I am prejudiced against people of all races, sexes, religions and orientaions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)

...But I really can't be ****ed with going to court everyday for too long...
    I feel really sorry for the person/people in question if you get picked.

Your attitutde sucks. If u cant be bothered dont go through with it. I feel sorry if some poor person trying to prove their innocence gets F'd over as a result of ur lazyness.

YOUR A JOKE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    yes, I'm sure travel expenses and lunch is paid by the government:woo:

ReputationRep:
    1st rule of Jury Service:

Never discuss Jury Service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Promesse)
    My nan has actually been called in twice for jury service.
    They can call you up every 2 years if they like. My gran has never been called up for it...

I just hope it doesn't last too long. I don't want the last of my summer swallowed up by public duty for a country who deserves nothing from me. *****.

Why don't they just employ a permanent jury, and pay them a nice average salary? It would cost the taxpayer a lot less, considering the fact that they have to pay the wages of every Doctor, Dentist and Engineer they take out of work.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do it, i reckon it could be quite interesting having to debate with the other jury members when deliberating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluffzball)
    yes, I'm sure travel expenses and lunch is paid by the government:woo:
    More money to be saved if they employed a permanent jury then...

The travel isn't paid in full. Only a fraction.
    They only give you 10p per mile or something if you drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    1st rule of Jury Service:

Never discuss Jury Service
    yeah thats true, unless you do it Jeremy (peep show) style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenssen)
    I feel really sorry for the person/people in question if you get picked.

Your attitutde sucks. If u cant be bothered dont go through with it. I feel sorry if some poor person trying to prove their innocence gets F'd over as a result of ur lazyness.

YOUR A JOKE.
    I HAVE to do it. You think I'm going willingly? No.

If the courts don't want to place the fate of the accused into the hands of people who don't care, then they shouldn't enforce compulsory Jury Service on the public.

I get fined if I don't show up.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.