The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh it's not going to happen in the real world so you have nothing to worry about:no:

:p:
Reply 21
Yeah, tell her, it would cramp your style, and perhaps could make you known as 'the boy who had his mum stay the first night' etc :p: not good!
Reply 22
Juncture
Suggest going up the day before and staying somewhere overnight and then she can still go back on the day you move in, that's what my parents did cause my journey to uni is a similar kind of lenght

This.
Reply 23
or just really be honest with her and explain it will be probably make you and her uncomfortable if she stayed with you while you are supposed to be out meeting people... and ask her to stay in a hotel for the night. Make her even a list of hotels near the university and check their prices and everything. And be honest!!!
Health and Safety violation - she wouldn't be allowed.
Reply 25
I would tell her to f/o and get a B&B
Reply 26
jonnythemoose
Out of sheer interest, and not because this situation applies to me whatsoever :ninja:, how would you feel if the following were to happen...?

Say you lived somewhere in the north...just hypothetically-speaking let's say, Lincoln...and you were going to start as a fresher at a southern university...just to pick one at random, let's say Southampton, at the end of September. Now, say the car journey is about four hours - and you are due to arrive on the Saturday sometime in the day, and then you'd be going to a freshers' welcome party in the evening for drunken shenanigans.

How would you feel, if your mother, who is very kindly taking you down to university, proposed that, as she didn't want to make the return journey in the same day - the perfect solution would be for her to hang around in halls, then sleep on the floor of your hall bedroom, overnight on your first night at your new university?

How, realistically, would you react to this entirely hypothetical situation? :ninja:

kthnx.

Thanks my mum wouldn't do this..
Probably, first I would tell her not to come, that there's no need, and if she goes "my poor little baby all alone in southampton" then I'll be dramatic and say something like "I think I want to do this be myself, Ill take my life in my hands starting from now" and this sort of things... if she's still unsure tell her she can come some weekes later on a weekend when you'll have settled everything and that she will be proud of how you coped with things :biggrin:
Either

1) See if you can drive down the day before - even ask uni if you can move in a day early.

2) Tell her that you think your room will be too small for her to stay.

or

3) Let her stay and take her to the party with you!
Thanks for all the responses guys. I think the best route is definitely going to be lying about health and safety regulations to her. kthnx.
Reply 29
jonnythemoose
Thanks for all the responses guys. I think the best route is definitely going to be lying about health and safety regulations to her. kthnx.

Don't you mean hypothetically lying :yes:?
trm90
Don't you mean hypothetically lying :yes:?

Ur-um yes. :ninja:

How silly of me.

:ninja:
HAHAHAHA. I can't imagine my mother even suggesting that.

Can't she stay in a nice B&B somewhere? Surely that's nicer than sleeping on the floor in student halls full of excited drunken teenagers?
Reply 32
jonnythemoose

Mine would response "oh its ok, its only 1 night, they wont mind"

I'd seriously just suggest the hotel, and maybe even pay for it. It'd probably cost no more than £50 - probably the best £50 you'll spend that week! Try and also go the night before, with all of you staying down there - but make sure there is a secure car park if you are taking all your stuff down :yep:
Reply 33
Hey johnnythemoose, did you find an hypothetical solution to this hypothetical problem?:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending