Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    He is rude, arrogant and disrespectful.

Let's watch him take down a German;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHA

Thy say he stumbled. but GOD I LOVE HIM!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    He added : 'The singer (Leona Lewis) and Jimmy Page were so incompatible, considering the singer is from our time while Jimmy Page is from the 70s.'
    Yeah, imagine....

I wonder if they really understand Western popular music over there.

'At such formal occasion, he should have buttoned his jacket,' he said.
    Perhaps he would have looked a bit better, but it wasn't a formal occasion - it was the closing ceremony, typically a time for informality: the athletes pouring out together as one and celebrating together etc - a lot of the previous ones have been far wilder than this one.

To confirm my point, from Shanghai Daily:

"Traditionally, the closing ceremonies for the Olympic Games are usually very informal and supposed to be big night out for participants. And what better place then to bring the curtain down to the Games at the majestic Bird’s Nest."

'After he took the flag, he shook hands with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief Jacques Rogge and did not pay any attention to the two leaders from Beijing.
    That's utter nonsense, he shook hands with the Beijing official on the way out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    I'll admit I hated him before. But hearing his speech and how he tried not to ****-up the ceremony, he's earned by favour (which I'm sure he's greatful for...)

The part ahout the ox game and wiff waff had me laughing my head off, It's hilarious.
    I thought that was a good speech: lighthearted, but delivered with spirit and entertaining into the bargain. I can imagine Ken Livingstone or Gordon Brown managing that.

ReputationRep:
    The Ping Pong speech was like an upmarket Al Murray routine - xenophobia, jingoism and public-school toilet humour all in one!

I strongly dislike his politics, but he's like one of those sick jokes about paedophilia or the disabled that you know is wrong, but laugh at anyway.

Props to the guy who bellows, "Go on, Boris!" at the end, as though this was some kind of sports event in its own right.

ReputationRep:
    It was incredibly funny at the time, and I do like boris (for all the usual reasons), but it did cross my mind at the time that maybe it could cause offence, and tbh someone who's the ****ing mayor should know better. Even I would have made the effort to look smart. If he wanted to loosen up and go back to being boris at the party afterwards that's fine, but could he not make an effort just for once?

a bit unprofessional if you ask me.

I do think the speech afterwards was one of the greatest things I've ever heard though.

ReputationRep:
    i love boris he right reminds me of my casual dad lol. Kind of always casual , never prepared and always putting his foot in it. lol. PING PONG IS COMING HOME LOL

ReputationRep:
    i have actually started liking boris i think hez funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I thought that was a good speech: lighthearted, but delivered with spirit and entertaining into the bargain. I can imagine Ken Livingstone or Gordon Brown managing that.
    Yeah it was. Even had grump Gordon Brown howling. Not to mention Seb. Awesome stuff.

ReputationRep:
    looool... Boris is freaking awsome!!

so inert, so arrogant, so untactful, i solute you

having said that... he should have a 'Unsuitable in big events' tag on his amazing hair...

ReputationRep:
    Uptight much?? I dont think he was disrespectful, I do however think his bumbling fool act is wearing thin. I used to find him funny, but now he's just another ruddy faced overweight old tory. Next.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, and the chinese getting in Jackie Chan to sing badly after Leona Lewis had what to do with the Olympics, exactly?

Bah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    Uptight much?? I dont think he was disrespectful, I do however think his bumbling fool act is wearing thin. I used to find him funny, but now he's just another ruddy faced overweight old tory. Next.
    wearing thin? surely it peaked at the speech!

now, yes it may start to wear thin.

The best thing is though, I don't think its an act. He really is a muppet!

ReputationRep:
    I hate Boris. He looked like a fat oaf waving the flag in such a highly ******ed fashion.

I can see why the Chinese find him disrespectful though. All about customs and traditions there. He clearly didn't pay attention or bother learning some Chinese etiquette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnnl)
    It was incredibly funny at the time, and I do like boris (for all the usual reasons), but it did cross my mind at the time that maybe it could cause offence, and tbh someone who's the ****ing mayor should know better. Even I would have made the effort to look smart. If he wanted to loosen up and go back to being boris at the party afterwards that's fine, but could he not make an effort just for once?

a bit unprofessional if you ask me.
    If anything, I'd criticise the Beijing Mayor for being overly formal at such an occasion. If anything, he looked like a bizarre juxtaposition to the rest of the event.

ReputationRep:
    It's the British way. Boris, in his unwitting way, represents it greatly.

A shambles. But wheey! That'll do!

=D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnnl)
    The best thing is though, I don't think its an act. He really is a muppet!
    A muppet? I doubt he's far brighter than the vast, vast majority of his obnoxious left-wing critics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    If anything, I'd criticise the Beijing Mayor for being overly formal at such an occasion. If anything, he looked like a bizarre juxtaposition to the rest of the event.
    Yes, maybe you could. But we were on their turf and purely out of respect it would maybe have been nice to do it their way. I'd prefer it to be informal. After all this is a sporting event, not a political one.

When we've got it over here I'd expect foregn leaders to do things our way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    A muppet? I doubt he's far brighter than the vast, vast majority of his obnoxious left-wing critics.
    Muppet in the kind and caring way. He is very bright, and I agree with much of his politics from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know how he could keep a straight face for alot of that. 'Ping pong is coming home' :rofl:.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely ridiculous. he didn't have his jacket buttoned? what are they, five?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.