Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Mate, you can tell you're not from Brum!

The suburbs are dodgy you say???? What suburbs have you been frequenting????

The inner city (INNER CITY) is not safe whatsoever and is didgy, unless you are from there. The suburbs are quite leafy and have many a mansion! Check upmystreet neighbourhood postcode thingymagig!

One more thing - I personally have not witnessed any violence per say, apart from when shopping in the city centre!
    I've lived there for 2 years. Both right in the centre and Erdington.

I think we're getting terminology slightly mixed up, by suburbs I meant those districts outside the IMMEDIATE centre. E.G new town, lozells, aston etc.

maybe suburb was the wrong word to use

ReputationRep:
    Mate, you can tell you're not from Brum!
    One more thing - I personally have not witnessed any violence per say, apart from when shopping in the city centre!
    Yes I'd steer well clear of Primark sounds like silly advice..but trust me, its brutal!

PS - Everyone seems to have forgotten about Hockley a.k.a drug-central. Plus I always get a bit freaked going on the bus down the Coventry Road through Small Heath.

My general info is: Yes, there are part of Brum that are a bit "rough" - same as any other city. Just use your common sense! Lets face it - anyone walking round a major city on their own after dark has clearly lost a major amount of brain cells somewhere along the line.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear....I'm from Nottingham (world's best city ), and all this has scared me to death. I've traveled to Brum a few times to check out Aston Uni and the city just looks run down. the only nice part of the city is the centre (thank God my Uni's in the centre:cool: ). the buses look horrific (thats after being used to
    notts transport, best in the country:yep: ) and the residential areas look like they need a good sweeping.

well at least I hope it's not half as bad as you guys say because otherwise you are scaring us "freshers" a bit.

*waits for rebuttal from extremist Brummie*

ReputationRep:
    I gotta admit this thread has scared me slightly too...

So what are the nice areas of Brum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gravityisamyth)
    I gotta admit this thread has scared me slightly too...

So what are the nice areas of Brum?
    kings heath, kings norton. parts of edgbaston . selly park/oak

and obviously alumrock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newton 29)

kings heath, kings norton. parts of edgbaston . selly park/oak

and obviously alumrock
    Hahahahahhaa mate you're having a laugh! There is no way I would ever ever ever go to Alum Rock in my life!

So I take it no one is going to Uni to study geography...? The 'suburbs' surrounding the immediate city centre are not suburbs at all - they are called the inner city.

The nice parts of Brum are too expensive to live in if you are a student so no need to bother. Basically the further away you are from the inner city, the better the suburb.

Subway city nightclub is awful. Dirty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabandla2003)
    oh dear....I'm from Nottingham (world's best city ), and all this has scared me to death. I've traveled to Brum a few times to check out Aston Uni and the city just looks run down. the only nice part of the city is the centre (thank God my Uni's in the centre:cool: ). the buses look horrific (thats after being used to
    notts transport, best in the country:yep: ) and the residential areas look like they need a good sweeping.

well at least I hope it's not half as bad as you guys say because otherwise you are scaring us "freshers" a bit.

I'll be that extremist Brummie!

You have more chance of dying by gunshot in Nottingham than Brum. Be thankful you will be out of your awful hell hole of a city. Basically if you are in a part of the city that looks rundown and in need of a good sweeping - get the hell out, fast, as it is well rough. Common sense boy!

ReputationRep:
    common as if you believed me when i said alumrock!!!

ReputationRep:
    * Come on.

Well none of the places you said are decent at all.

ReputationRep:
    what planet you on? kings norton is a beatiful area. atleast where my bros house is!!! the rest are not bad either

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful? Really.

I wouldn't move there - they are all pretty student populated and hence not great areas.

ReputationRep:
    kings norton student populated?????? someone please tell her!

ReputationRep:
    No one needs to tell me anything! And yes parts of it are! Not as bad as the blummin Selly Oak and Edgbaston places you mentioned tho, but still not great by far! Are you even a Brummie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabandla2003)

I come from nottinghamshire, and I'd say birmingham feels safer.

ReputationRep:
    funny ....but am yet to experience Brum...so what can I say:no:

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahhaa mate you're having a laugh! There is no way I would ever ever ever go to Alum Rock in my life!

So I take it no one is going to Uni to study geography...? The 'suburbs' surrounding the immediate city centre are not suburbs at all - they are called the inner city.

The nice parts of Brum are too expensive to live in if you are a student so no need to bother. Basically the further away you are from the inner city, the better the suburb.

Subway city nightclub is awful. Dirty.
    Oww damn it I hate grimey clubs . Ugh I will end up going anyway as it's the only bounce/hard dance night to my knowledge and B2T has a good rep but still that's a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Ladywood meant to have lots of drug dealers there. I remember watching a Secret Millionaire (Ch4) program which was there, it looked totally different to the Birmingham I saw on the open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    Isn't Ladywood meant to have lots of drug dealers there. I remember watching a Secret Millionaire (Ch4) program which was there, it looked totally different to the Birmingham I saw on the open day.
    Yeh its cos surprisingly for the second city (!) Birmingham is massive and you can find just about all different social classes etc. inc. drug dealers.

Try and stay away from Ladywood.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who genuinely doesn't think Brum is horrid? I love it. Beats Manchester hands down, in my humble opinion. London has more going on, but you'd expect so.

ReputationRep:
    WTF? seriously, birmingham is the safest city about...i've lived here all of my life! There are good and bad areas where ever you go, for example in birmingham kings heath, handsworth, chelmsley wood are bad areas. The good areas are solihull, sutton coldfield, streetly etc

believe me, when i say, that birmingham is a great place to be. beats manchester hands down.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.