Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as a mature Brummie student in my 3rd year a BCU I have to chip in with my say;
    If I was 18ish and leaving home for the first time I'd love to come to somewhere like Brum because there's so many different people, foods, places and events going on. This is a City to EXPLORE!
    Forget about good and bad areas....If you're from a little place everywhere will be a bit scary at first..you just need to spend a bit of time adjusting to the pace of life here, and get to know what are safe things to be doing and what are not.
    If you're from a City then...well it shouldn't take you so long!
    (eg, don't sit on the back seats on the top deck of a double decker if you don't want hassle/loud tinny phone music).

The areas that you perceive as 'dodgy' firstly depend on your race & culture:
    If you're new to the city and Asian you won't find Balsall Heath, Alum Rock, Sparkhill dodgy, if you're black then Handsworth, Hockley and Perry Barr may be ok,
    If you're white, Kings Norton, Erdington and Weoley Castle will probably seem ok. It's all about your own perception.

The fact is Most areas are usually fine for everyone.

Selly Oak is the big student area. You know..lots of rented houses, fast food, crowded loud pubs...for me personally it's a bit crap but see for yourself, lots of students love it.

Moseley is the ex Doley/Arty/student area turned middle class but with still a few good things happening now and then and lots of pubs & bars. On the famous 50 route! (Also the Hare & Hounds in Kings Heath...gigs etc)

Digbeth (the irish Quarter) is a great place with loads of character: Warehouse and factory buildings, backstreet pubs and big and small clubs and the Custard Factory which hosts gigs, festivals, events and a Vintage market every Saturday and a flea market summer sundays. Unfortunately Digbeth is being redeveloped so expect increased luxury flats and a loss of character in the future.

Cannon Hill park..well used park...lots to do and home of the Midland Arts Centre currently being rebuilt and extended..films, theatre.gigs, exhibitions, plus bar. Also Birmingham Nature Centre - dead cheap day out!

Harborne - Home of the famous 'Harborne mile' of pubs.

Sparkhill - Home of the famous 'Balti Belt' Cheap, decent food centred around Stoney Lane and Ladypool Rd. You can however find decent Balti and Indian restaurants all over the city.

City Centre - Arcadian Centre/Chinese Quarter/Gay Village, Not the most amazing Chinese Quarter but it has great small cheap noodle bars, good Bars in the Arcadian centre and it all merges into the Gay Village.

Broad Street - ****, but check it for yourself first.

Hockley; Home of the famous Jewellery Quarter (for you design students!) Nice pubs too, check out St Pauls Square if you're flush.

Generally, if you're a student I can't see much attracting you to either East or North Birmingham (Large post war housing estates)

If you don't know the City then it may be a good idea to steer clear of Newtown, Nechells, Lozells, Sparkbrook, Bartley Green, Alum Rock, Ladywood (back of the Flapper) Stechford and Chelmsley Wood. But, to be honest there's not a lot of reasons for a student to go to these places anyway unless you live there or are passing through.

The City centre at night is generally pretty safe, if you're from a town you'll probably find it safer than your town centre of a Friday and Saturday night.

Nightlife...can't comment too much as I can't afford to go out much these days however: Birmingham pubs are not as good as other major cities..and the City centre has long suffered from the dreaded dress code..'your not getting in with trainers here mate'
    Plenty of clubs and live venues, taxis can be a problem in the centre after midnight and the night service could be more frequent.

People: Generally friendly and open aqnd down to earth with a dry sense of humour. People from all over the globe live here and are happy to call themselves Brummies..

Use your common sense, get to know your part of the City then start exploring more. South Birmingham is the most student friendly place with the most going on, although Handsworth is lively & is not as rough as people think.

I'll stop now!

ReputationRep:
    whats perry barr like do you think? i dont think its too bad, but i just wanna hear anyone from bcu's opinion as obviously they will know quite well x

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm not aty BCU but I lived a short walk from the One Stop Shopping Centre in Perry Barr in my first year.

Let's just say I wouldn't choose to live there again. Personally, I never had any problems but then I never felt completely safe around there either. I stayed away from it at night as much as possible as well, I found there were a few dodgey characters round there even in the daytime.

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in Birmingham all my life

I have been mugged twice and I live in Erdington

I would agree with Smtn about the high rise flats. Avoid run down areas with high numbers of these.

I also advise to use a bit of common sense, always sit downstairs on the bus at night, stay in well lit areas, dont get you iphone out in the middle of chav central etc etc

ReputationRep:
    South Birmingham (the student bit) is fine.
    The city centre is very safe IMO, and coming from a mid-sized town I notice a much stronger police presence all hours.
    Broad St. is fine on student nights/most weekdays
    Digbeth is a bit dodgy.
    Overall I've not had any problems so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    As a rule of thumb, The centre is generally safe and alot of the suburbs are dodgy. If you see any high rise dodgy looking flats AVOID (eg close to aston)
    What?

I was brought on in the suburbs on the border with Worcestershire and I have to admit that its a lot safer there than in the city centre. Look at crime rates for Birmingham that will tell you what you need to know!

ReputationRep:
    I've explained this already, by 'suburbs', I meant the districts surrounding city centre. Aston, Lozells, NewTown etc

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to open this thread again, but is there any advice you'd give to someone hoping to study in Birmingham who's NEVER lived in anything bigger than a small village before? I want to go to a big city university because of the job opportunities/nightlife and because the countryside is...well it's ******* boring to put it bluntly, but I don't really know how different it is from where I live now (obviously there are more buildings and people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Sorry to open this thread again, but is there any advice you'd give to someone hoping to study in Birmingham who's NEVER lived in anything bigger than a small village before? I want to go to a big city university because of the job opportunities/nightlife and because the countryside is...well it's ******* boring to put it bluntly, but I don't really know how different it is from where I live now (obviously there are more buildings and people)
    I come from a small place myself so Brum was a big change for me. You probably won't get to know everywhere like you would in a small place but there are obvious areas like Paradise Forum/Broad St/Mailbox/Bullring that you should get to know pretty well. It's quite safe (I've wandered around at 12am in the High St) but obviously keep your wits about you, take a phone. There are always taxis around though.

ReputationRep:
    I feel very safe in the city centre.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.