Should I go paperless during sixth form?

Watch this thread
cmangwandi
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm considering getting an ipad/tablet so I can take my notes on there rather than paper. At least I wont have to spend money and space on loads of paper, or when I'm travelling I wont have to bring 3 big folders with me because it's all online. But I really dont know? Any advice?
BrtishJew
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
yes go ahead
ma151e
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
it’s a good idea, i think it could be organised than loads of paper
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cmangwandi)
I'm considering getting an ipad/tablet so I can take my notes on there rather than paper. At least I wont have to spend money and space on loads of paper, or when I'm travelling I wont have to bring 3 big folders with me because it's all online. But I really dont know? Any advice?
Hmmm i would say check sixth form policy on the website as some places do folder checks so if you were to go 'paperless' make sure the notes are organised into folders on google drive or whatever solution you will use. Obviously for tests and stuff, they will have to be stored in some folder or something similar
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think it's a good idea to go paperless, it's heading in that direction more and more (especially the last few months) and you won't be bogged down with heavy folders for the summer holidays if you're travelling and moving about.

But I think for revision purposes and once you start school again in September, it's a good idea to reinforce your learning and practice past exam paper questions in writing and still use notebooks, annotate handouts and booklets and highlight things on worksheets etc. This is even more so if you're being examined on paper as well.

All the students I teach are online but I always recommend they use hard copies for core reference sheets (in my case languages - so things like sentence starters, how to express opinions, verb tables, key vocab etc).

The brain actually retains quite a lot of knowledge when we are writing and it's a good method to absorb and retain information. Plus writing is actually quite therapeutic!
cmangwandi
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MyLanguageLab)
I think it's a good idea to go paperless, it's heading in that direction more and more (especially the last few months) and you won't be bogged down with heavy folders for the summer holidays if you're travelling and moving about.

But I think for revision purposes and once you start school again in September, it's a good idea to reinforce your learning and practice past exam paper questions in writing and still use notebooks, annotate handouts and booklets and highlight things on worksheets etc. This is even more so if you're being examined on paper as well.

All the students I teach are online but I always recommend they use hard copies for core reference sheets (in my case languages - so things like sentence starters, how to express opinions, verb tables, key vocab etc).

The brain actually retains quite a lot of knowledge when we are writing and it's a good method to absorb and retain information. Plus writing is actually quite therapeutic!
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of doing most of my revision notes online using a platform like notability . And then I'd write our flash cards ( i dont like the idea of using quizlet for the sciences as I'm doing biology and chemistry at A level) and I'll do exam papers and questions on paper as you suggested . So I guess not completely 100% paperless but like 80%.
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of doing most of my revision notes online using a platform like notability . And then I'd write our flash cards ( i dont like the idea of using quizlet for the sciences as I'm doing biology and chemistry at A level) and I'll do exam papers and questions on paper as you suggested . So I guess not completely 100% paperless but like 80%.
I think with those subjects, it is a good idea to physically write out the flashcards because using Quizlet or Memrize the drawings might not work well for you. But if you're still incorporating some form of hardcopies and documents, then that's absolutely fine

Tbh after what's happened with the virus, it's a good idea to become more comfortable with online tools and organise your work in the Cloud. Plus it's really handy when you're travelling and on the go for you to be able to access it on your smart phone and tablet if you wanted to. You can use that alongside your paper files. And if you need to watch any saved YT videos, read articles, watch PPTs, it's super handy.

Depending on which software you use (my students use G-drive and Dropbox mainly), you can use all of the little features such as colour labelling certain documents, quick search facility, sharing etc.) so it's def worth taking advantage of this!
Kohayton
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I went paperless this year and it has worked very well for me and I have done the same/similar subjects. It has been convenient for me especially during the lockdown, where all our work has been online!
josie71202
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I wanted to go paperless but my sixth form makes me print everything out so check with the school
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I imagine the paper would still be infinitely cheaper than an ipad.

Either way, can't hurt. Saves effort lugging it all around and trying to sift through reems of notes covered in doodles. Personally i'd reccommend a laptop though but thats just me.
username5304322
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You could, if your sixth form allows it. Just make sure you back up your documents.
kitkadd
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You should check with your sixth form first
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think it also depends on the subjects that you're planning on doing. If you're doing a subject that is a lot of writing - that's probably okay. If you're doing a subject like Chemistry or Maths, then you may find it more difficult. If you do any practice papers though, I'd stick to paper.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Can if you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (270)
42.19%
The paper was reasonable (265)
41.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.06%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.34%

Watched Threads