The Student Room Group

A Job during my AS levels

Firstly, I didn't know where to put this thread so just thought I would stick it in
general discussion.

I'm about to start my as levels and was thinking of getting a saturday job, which I may also think about working a few evenings a week. During exams I would stop working though. Despite this, do you think it would affect my progress? Also, do you think it would be worth it if I am earning around 200-300 quid a month? Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:
my 6th form told us to work 12 hours or less, this is probably a good idea, it also depends how much work you have for your chosen subjects
Reply 2
Try part-time and temporary employment.

Yes it would be worthwile cos it's money and experience. But if you think you won't be able to handle both workloads then don't because your AS's are a lot more important. Lot's of people do it though, so I shouldn't see it being a problem.
It depends on your own needs. I needed to get a job and I did, and I think it had more of an affect on my social life rather than my school work.

But it won't be that easy just to get a couple of weeks off for exams and then go back ... bare that in mind. The evenings may take their toll on school though, I do one evening and I feel that's more than enough.

Remember that your school probably will say no more than 8 hours/week.
Nah, I was working 12-14 hours a week during my A levels in a shop and I think I would have got the same grades as if I hadn't been working. I wouldn't really work too many evenings though, because I used to find that really tiring on the few occasions when I did work evenings.
Reply 5
well i'm doing 5 hard a levels and a language (mothers tounge), and i'm going to be working saturday and sunday, although i could do homework and study during my long breaks
Reply 6
I personally rarely did work outside of school, so a job would have been very worthwhile for me while at school. But obviously if it will interfere with your studies then be wary.
Reply 7
if you can get a job where you only have to work one of your weekend days, rather than 4 days on both saturday and sunday becuase you wont want to do anyting beofre or after work, and you'll feel liek you never get a day off, which uld be true.
Reply 8
it will probably affect your progress but only becasue you will be spending time working when you could use them hours studying. but generally no i don't think it will affect your studies that much.

my 6th form told us to work 12 hours or less, this is probably a good idea, it also depends how much work you have for your chosen subjects

yeah that sounds like a good maximum amount for each week
I worked sundays during both my AS and A2's, go for it! use the money to save up for uni or to kick start a gap year. Am so glad I did work then because it helped a lot.
I would go for it. I wasn't sure about having a job whilst doing my A2 year but took it and did not regret it. I did 13-15 hours per week and it didn't affect my work at all. If you are organised and have good time management, you can most certainly work part-time whilst studying.
Reply 11
Yes go for it. didnt effect my grades. and the moeny comes in hannnndy
Just try it. There's nothing stopping you from quitting at any point. If you can handle it, continue. If you can't, then quit.
Reply 13
Yeah go for it. I did 5 AS levels with two jobs.... bit stressful at times, but needed the jobs to fund my spending (when I had time to go shopping)

Am dropping down to 3 subjects this year, but picked up another job! Gonna experiment and see how it goes as to if I quit one of the jobs.

But yeah, deffo go for it :biggrin:
I'm doing 4 A Levels at the moment and I work 8 hours at a shop during the weekend. But to be honest with you I say you could easily do about 12 hours a week as well as AS Levels. If you struggle you could always reduce the number of hours you are doing at work.

Oh and by the way it is possible to do revision and work at the same time. My advice would me to either reduce the number of hours you are doing, during exam time or see if your employer will allow you to stop working.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 15
I worked 12 hours a week + occasional overtime during my AS year and managed to get 4 A's - so it can be done. Having said that, most, if not virtually all of my Sunday was spent doing homework and reading notes etc. If I didn't work, my weekend would be a bit more relaxed and less stressful but hey, I need/want the money.

I am, however, contemplating reducing my hours from 12 to 9 hours a week...

(Oh, a word of warning, I think you may find it hard reducing your hours or "stopping work" during exam time - it generally isn't that flexible.)

Latest