Do many people stay in university accommodation over holidays? Watch

Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, there you are. I mean, really, christmas and easter, as I'd be planning on only going home for about two weeks in each one. (And in summer maybe a month or so...)
Scipio_Africanus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think it depends on the university, some let you stay in halls for the duration of your (3)terms while others expect you to move out on holidays and such.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've found that around 5%-10% of the student population stay here permanently, with others staying for more and more time each year. Christmas/New Year, Easter and Summer are always fairly quiet, but you're never alone.
jennyng2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it seems to be a fair number stay for at least some of the hols, depends on the quality of their homelife, what there is at uni for them, and how near/far they are from uni

also forgein students sometimes find they have to stay to work to pay for the rent
ccharlyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its not just the foreign students who stay to work - I've done that too!
I went home at both xmas (I went on holiday) and easter (my halls kicked me out for a book binders conference) but now im in a private house with a 12 month let i intend to stay here and work.

there are always quite a few people around, so its not too bad!
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I usually go home, But wouldn't mind stay over holidays now and again. Some of my friends do but most go home.
Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kater Murr)
Well, there you are. I mean, really, christmas and easter, as I'd be planning on only going home for about two weeks in each one. (And in summer maybe a month or so...)
Some people do stay but the majority will probably go home. It's probably best to wait and see how you find things at university first before you make your mind up about how long you're going to stay.
allyb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my accomodation has a 40 week contract does that mean i get to stay the holidays or not...

its mainly so i dont have to move all my stuff out at christmas and easter...
Rainygal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
40 weeks should cover you for the holidays so you won't have to move your stuff out

Most people tended to stay for a few days at the beginning and end of each term and a few people who had jobs in Bristol stayed for the whole time, but it depends on your uni, as others have said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?