The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
screenager2004
No, you study famous sociologists and theories.
There's nothing "common sensical" about "Compare and contrast the Weberian and Marxist theories of social class"

I'd say it's quite similar to philosophy; you can apply some common sense to it for low grades, but it's the famous figures and theories that provide the bulk of the work.

How are the Sociology exams? Do they have long essay questions worth like 10 marks each?
Reply 21
JAgg
I do plan to REALLY hard. At GCSE I didn't have an aim so I didn't really care about education, now I have a goal but I don't want the same thing to happen and run out of things to say in the exam.

well, it's up to you of course, but I would have thought that you'd rather focus on business studies/IT?

Bringing your english skills up from a C-grade at GCSE to an A/B grade at A-Level is a pretty big leap, really. I think it would take a lot of work, I'm just considering whether it might be at a detriment to your other subjects?
Reply 22
OhNO!
well, it's up to you of course, but I would have thought that you'd rather focus on business studies/IT?

Bringing your english skills up from a C-grade at GCSE to an A/B grade at A-Level is a pretty big leap, really. I think it would take a lot of work, I'm just considering whether it might be at a detriment to your other subjects?

Well.. I am only picking 3 compared to people doing 4/5 upto A2. I've heard that English Lit takes up alot of your time and effort due to the essays + books , so I'll probably do Sociology.. I just don't want any regrets
JAgg
How are the Sociology exams? Do they have long essay questions worth like 10 marks each?

AQA exams are usually out of 60 marks.

There'll be one short 2/4 mark question, usually about terminology or a brief outline of a concept or theory. Two medium-length mini-essays worth about 8/12 marks each that require a few paragraphs of text, and there is a 40 mark essay question at the end of each paper.

So yes, quite essay based.

However it depends on the exam board. I only know the AQA papers.
Reply 24
JAgg
Well.. I am only picking 3 compared to people doing 4/5 upto A2. I've heard that English Lit takes up alot of your time and effort due to the essays + books , so I'll probably do Sociology.. I just don't want any regrets

in that case, I'd probably do english lit or sociology + general studies. since most people do four or five AS Levels, and you're only doing three, a strong subject like english lit would probably work in your favour.
Reply 25
screenager2004
AQA exams are usually out of 60 marks.

There'll be one short 2/4 mark question, usually about terminology or a brief outline of a concept or theory. Two medium-length mini-essays worth about 8/12 marks each that require a few paragraphs of text, and there is a 40 mark essay question at the end of each paper.

So yes, quite essay based.

However it depends on the exam board. I only know the AQA papers.

Omg, 40 marks! Must be hard to get 40/40 on that..
Reply 26
OhNO!
in that case, I'd probably do english lit or sociology + general studies. since most people do four or five AS Levels, and you're only doing three, a strong subject like english lit would probably work in your favour.

I don't think my school does general studies.. and the course I need requires 320/340 UCAS Points out of 3 subjects e.g AAB/ABB. That's why I thought 3 would be better so I can concentrate more on each A Level and try to meet the requirements.
JAgg
Omg, 40 marks! Must be hard to get 40/40 on that..

It's not that bad, 20 marks are for knowledge and 20 marks are for adequate analysis, also good English and communication are accounted for in the marking.

I expect the English Literature papers will have some hefty essays as well. Even in my media studies papers there were four 45 mark essay questions this year (plus coursework submission, which was essays!!!).

Arts subjects = Essays.
Reply 28
screenager2004
It's not that bad, 20 marks are for knowledge and 20 marks are for adequate analysis, also good English and communication are accounted for in the marking.

I expect the English Literature papers will have some hefty essays as well. Even in my media studies papers there were four 45 mark essay questions this year (plus coursework submission, which was essays!!!).

Arts subjects = Essays.

Are there loads of Sociology Essays and are they quite long and hard? I'll have ICT + Business studies C/W too, don't really want another long C/W subject
JAgg
Is Sociology a bit like PHSE/Citizenship Studies, not what you study but more similar in a way of being common sense subjects?

Not at all lol. You will get no marks at all for writing your opinion. You need to argue different theories and use sociological research to back them up.
You will have a bit of a shock if you think you are taking an "if I have an opinion; i'm right" subject.
JAgg
Are there loads of Sociology Essays and are they quite long and hard? I'll have ICT + Business studies C/W too, don't really want another long C/W subject

Depends how hard your teacher works you!
In the exams, yes, there are lots of essays. They are ok if you can create a quick plan and write down which Sociologists and theories you are going to refer to and in what order, but they are very hard if you open the exam paper and can't think of much to write.

There is no coursework for OCR, but I think 1 module is for AQA.
Reply 31
Crystaltears
Depends how hard your teacher works you!
In the exams, yes, there are lots of essays. They are ok if you can create a quick plan and write down which Sociologists and theories you are going to refer to and in what order, but they are very hard if you open the exam paper and can't think of much to write.

There is no coursework for OCR, but I think 1 module is for AQA.

Would you say there's alot to revise for the exam and as long as I revise I'll be fine? xD
JAgg
Would you say there's alot to revise for the exam and as long as I revise I'll be fine? xD

Yeah, there is ALOT to revise, but if you revise it you will be fine. It's quite easy conceptually to learn, but there is just sooo much if you want to do well. Most people find it an interesting subject though, so revising isn't THAT bad. :smile:
I'd definatley recommend it. It's really good and it's not the most respected subject, but it's not blacklisted or anything.
Reply 33
Crystaltears
Yeah, there is ALOT to revise, but if you revise it you will be fine. It's quite easy conceptually to learn, but there is just sooo much if you want to do well. Most people find it an interesting subject though, so revising isn't THAT bad. :smile:
I'd definatley recommend it. It's really good and it's not the most respected subject, but it's not blacklisted or anything.

The only problem is I find it hard to earn top marks on Essay type exams as I end up not covering all the points and forget what to write and I need to achieve A/B in the subject if I am to meet the requirements needed for the degree course.
JAgg
The only problem is I find it hard to earn top marks on Essay type exams as I end up not covering all the points and forget what to write and I need to achieve A/B in the subject if I am to meet the requirements needed for the degree course.

Hmmm...well it really is one of those subjects where you need to remember alot of stuff in the exam. Alot of the marks are for evaluation and communication of the argument aswell though.
I never thought of myself as someone who was good at essays before I took Sociology though. If you revise enough you will remember the basic 2 sides of the argument and then everything will just flow out. Well...hopefully! :smile:
JAgg

Depends on your teacher! I was going to drop sociology, but my teacher never gives out homework, and there is no coursework element (its optional for AQA, you chose between either a coursework submission or a third synoptic paper in exams)

Latest