The Student Room Group

What are GCSE's like?

Hi I'm in year 10 and will do GCSE's in about 10 months. I wanted to know what they are like. I'm predicted 7 for French and 8's and 9's for every other subject. Our school seems to make mocks and practice exams difficult so it is a step up from acc GCSE. Are the GCSE exams easier than I acc think? I view them as pretty difficult because of the content I'm going through. Some people have told me it is easier thank I think. If so, which subjects do you think in particular? Thanks :wink:
difficulty is relative and down to the individual, so there's not really a straight answer here. some of my mocks were easier than the actual gcse, some were harder. i didn't find gcses that horrible, had some difficult exams obviously but it was mostly alright for me.
Original post by absolutelysprout
difficulty is relative and down to the individual, so there's not really a straight answer here. some of my mocks were easier than the actual gcse, some were harder. i didn't find gcses that horrible, had some difficult exams obviously but it was mostly alright for me.

Random question, if I may, how well do you think you did/ what grades do u predict? :smile:
Original post by CelinaBrown
Random question, if I may, how well do you think you did/ what grades do u predict? :smile:

i've already done them! i got 2 9s, 3 8s, a 7, an A, 3 6s and a 5 so very varied :lol:
i do remember my biology gcse being harder than my mock.
Original post by absolutelysprout
i've already done them! i got 2 9s, 3 8s, a 7, an A, 3 6s and a 5 so very varied :lol:
i do remember my biology gcse being harder than my mock.

That's such good grades! Was it similar to your predicted grades. I find biology and maths my favorite subjects so I tend to find biology one of the easy ones! :wink: French tho I have no idea how I'm gonna pass! The vocab never sticks with me!?
That's such good grades! Was it similar to your predicted grades. I find biology and maths my favorite subjects so I tend to find biology one of the easy ones! :wink: French tho I have no idea how I'm gonna pass! The vocab never sticks with me!?

I'm in Year 10 too, for French do you use Memrise or Quizlet? I find both really useful for learning vocab, a little a day and it tends to stick :yep:

no, i was predicted all 8s but i knew they were unrealistic :rofl: thanks though!! that's good, you should find those 2 subjects okay then provided you revise smart :yep:
french you just need to be revising vocab a lot (duolingo, quizlet, memrise etc) and doing lots of practice questions. the subject's a bit of a slog, but you get what you put in, i guess.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Roses_Dreams
I'm in Year 10 too, for French do you use Memrise or Quizlet? I find both really useful for learning vocab, a little a day and it tends to stick :yep:

I use quizlet and vocab express! Still the vocab never freakin sticks!
I use quizlet and vocab express! Still the vocab never freakin sticks!

Have you tried sticking difficult vocabulary on places that you always look (e.g: the fridge)? That way you see it often and it might stick better, but I've never tried :dontknow:
Reply 9

Hated them. School made them out to be such a biggie and they weren’t. Could have done better but decided to sweat it at Skyrim instead. Was a top student until school would get angry when I didn’t get a 7 and I would get a detention for getting a 6 because it was below my target grade. So I did minimum effort so they’d have my “underachieving grades” permanently on their record.

Suckers. I’m predicted A*A*A at my new college. GCSEs didn’t mean anything

No. Not a joke
Original post by Roses_Dreams
Have you tried sticking difficult vocabulary on places that you always look (e.g: the fridge)? That way you see it often and it might stick better, but I've never tried :dontknow:

ok i'll try this :biggrin:
Original post by Nevi

Hated them. School made them out to be such a biggie and they weren’t. Could have done better but decided to sweat it at Skyrim instead. Was a top student until school would get angry when I didn’t get a 7 and I would get a detention for getting a 6 because it was below my target grade. So I did minimum effort so they’d have my “underachieving grades” permanently on their record.

Suckers. I’m predicted A*A*A at my new college. GCSEs didn’t mean anything

No. Not a joke

That school is nonsense. When I get below my grade, I ask for support and I get extra special one to one session with my teacher for free on how I got answers wrong in an exam. It is very helpful!
p1ss eaasy
Original post by hanna10291
p1ss eaasy

u means physics 1?
Reply 14
That school is nonsense. When I get below my grade, I ask for support and I get extra special one to one session with my teacher for free on how I got answers wrong in an exam. It is very helpful!

Hence why I left rather than staying on for sixth form. Absolute dump. Rated “Outstanding” by Ofsted too. Was proud to bring their grade profile down

Quick Reply

Latest