The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HereIstand
So what a-level subjects do oxbridge like, science, history, This is all so confusing lol

there's lots of variations. and on here you will get diff answers as to what is right. but the way i like to think about it is that there's kinda three different groups.

the really respected:

maths/further
physics, chem, (bio)
history, english lit
french, german, spanish
music, latin, greek

the respected:
biology, geogrpahy, eng lang
psychology, (sociology)
geology, politics, computing, art

and unrespected:

(sociology), drama
media, film, theatre, performance studies
PE, ICT, health and social care
graphics, general studies
bascially that ends in studies and has lots of coursework

:biggrin: brackets define overlap, aolot of time people do have different opinions, basically as long as you take no more than one "studies" you'll be fine :smile: also tkaing biology and PE or Grpahics and Art may be looked down upon (cos they overlap) unless over course you want to do an art or sport degree that is.
Reply 61
keekee107
Totally agree here. Maths and English are totally different. As is History and Maths. Some people say Maths is the hardest A level - but to someone who found Maths can pretty naturally too them, I wouldn't particularly agree. Something I noticed very much with Maths is that students can almost be trained by practice papers into 100%. It's very rare you see a student with 100% in an English paper. Particularly when you get to university.

I did do one of the 'soft' subjects to A level though - Business Studies. Mainly because I found it interesting and want to do a degree in a related discipline and my school didn't offer Economics (not that I would have done it anyway). Personally, I found this subject easy - mainly due it's applicable content to real life. Making it easier to understand. Something different to Maths A level.

So say that I blagged my way through maths GCSE and got a B by doing 24 hours of revision and not listening to anything the whole two years. I now can't remember anything. Do you think I would be able to get an A in it if I listened to the teacher and did everything they said, and did **** loads of exam papers. I know it may be my own fault for not listening but i really have never had an interest in the subject. but if it looks good. Then you gotta do what you gotta do. :smile:
Reply 62
ashy
It is. "Business Studies (see also Economics)"

Ah - wasn't paying too close attention to it! All the same Economics is still on the 'generally suitable' list of A-levels on Trinity Cam's webpage.
Another one of these threads??? Gahhh...

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you consider it "soft" or not, if you go on the Cambridge/Oxford/LSE website, the fact is that they consider it "soft" and generally unsuitable, therefore it doesn't matter what you think if you're considering these Unis.
I don't think economics is a soft subject, it is seen as desirable for when wanted to study economics at top unis while maths is essential. Personally I think as long as you do a combination like Maths, Chemistry, Economics and psychology or English Lit, History, geography and sociology you should be fine just don't do a combo like general studies, business studies, media studies and accounting it may be frowned upon by top unis. Just don't include two subjects out of this list in your A-levels, I have nothing against this subject but somewhere like LSE or medical schools will reject you depending on what subject you choose.
* Accounting
* Art and Design
* Business Studies
* Communication Studies
* Dance/Theatre Studies*
* Design and Technology
* Drama/Theatre Studies
* Home Economics
* Information and Communication Technology
* Law
* Media Studies
* Music Technology
* Sports Studies
* Travel and Tourism
maze.e
I don't think economics is a soft subject, it is seen as desirable for when wanted to study economics at top unis while maths is essential. Personally I think as long as you do a combination like Maths, Chemistry, Economics and psychology or English Lit, History, geography and sociology you should be fine just don't do a combo like general studies, business studies, media studies and accounting it may be frowned upon by top unis. Just don't include two subjects out of this list in your A-levels, I have nothing against this subject but somewhere like LSE or medical schools will reject you depending on what subject you choose.
* Accounting
* Art and Design
* Business Studies
* Communication Studies
* Dance/Theatre Studies*
* Design and Technology
* Drama/Theatre Studies
* Home Economics
* Information and Communication Technology
* Law
* Media Studies
* Music Technology
* Sports Studies
* Travel and Tourism

I disagree partly because if you were going for engineering at a top Uni, I doubt they would object to Design and Technology as long as they had Maths and Physics. Therefore I think it does depend on what you want to do. Though more than two from that list, as you said, would be foolhardy.

Edit: Sorry thats kinda what you were saying :o:
Reply 66
Thanks Dude!

A1/A2: I have 3Subjects
B: I have 1Subject

Im glad am in the all-clear with my subjects! :woo:

Amit
Reply 67
The ONLY A-Levels worth considering are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. These are REALLY the only ones employers really look at. The rest are all soft and time wasters.
Reply 68
It all depends on which university you want to go to and what you want to study. This whole soft/hard a-level malarkey doesn't really matter for those applying to universities that are not in the top 10. In terms of choosing subjects at uni obviously if I apply to university to study chemistry I would be rejected without doing any of the sciences at a-level however at the same uni if I apply for media and done it at a-level I would be considered.
Reply 69
MJ84
The ONLY A-Levels worth considering are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. These are REALLY the only ones employers really look at. The rest are all soft and time wasters.

Silly me doing geology instead of biology!
Reply 70
That's just silly!

It totally depends what you want to do!! I've just done History, Law and PE at A level and i'm starting a law degree in september. I did AS maths and hated it so had to continue PE!! Basically unless you're applying to oxford or cambridge most subjects are okay apart from the obviously wishy washy subjects like travel and tourism, health and social care etc

As previously said, there is no point taking maths or sciences if your strengths are in essay writing etc which would hold you in good steed for subjects like english, history, pschology etc People need to stop freaking out about subjects and take what they think they're going to ENJOY!!
HereIstand
I take it less effective is there way of saying we think its easy to get an A in this subject.

To be honest whilst they may believe that I think it is more their concern that studying them is not very good preparation for studying at degree level.
Reply 72
ashy
It is. "Business Studies (see also Economics)"

It isn't. That means you should read the Economics course website, which says Business is OK if your school doesn't offer Economics A-level.
GodspeedGehenna
I assume you weren't on AQA.

The amount of facts/figures/studies/theories/researchers/evidence/counters I had to remember actually resulted in a massive nosebleed.

no i was on AQA there wasn't anything to remember at all, as long as you could say demand characteristics and validity and inter rater reliability and ethics you got an A........ Subject was such a joke that i managed to get an A in the practical part of the paper when i made all my results up and didn't actually do one experiment. So yea, Psychology is ****e :biggrin:
I did English Lit, History and Sociology (AAA) and got into Bristol. A friend of mine took Sociology and got into Cambridge.
To be honest, I think as long as it's not Media or Leisure and Tourism and the likes, you'll be fine.
If they teach it at Oxbridge, they'll let you in with an A level in it. Maybe that's a good rule to go by. :smile:
Cat amongst the pigeons, but i'm being honest here, I took found Maths and Physics TOOONNNSSS easier than Pyschology!

Psychology required memorising hundreds(okay maybe dozens) of researchers names, exact findings and studies and applying them to a question in the exact way the textbook worded it!

Maths and physics were basically learn a few rules, you get a formulae sheet of them anyway, plug numbers in one end, answers out the other, job's a good 'en, and it was logical, made sence, so easy to remember, where as a bunch of ancient psychologists names and the years of their studies much more arbitrary and impossible to rememeber!
HereIstand
This sounds ridiculous surely an A in psychology looks just as good as one for biology or English language or something considered more traditional. These soft a-levels are really bugging me because I know if I take psychology and sociology and they aren't regarded as high by uni's i won't feel like putting in the work because I will be pissed it's not worth as much. Are these soft A-levels true. Can you get into oxbridge with these kinds of subjects if you get AAAA or maybe a star in there. This is really tearing me up as i don't know what to pick for my forth A-Level , please help rep for an answer that helps the most on offer. :smile:

don't worry about it, I take psychology and my other subjects more than make up for it even for oxbridge.

It all depends on what your other subjects are and if they are more traditonal

What other subjects are you doing?
Reply 77
Hahaha some stupid pimple on the arse of the world neg-repped me for expressing personal opinion... get a life my friend! Oh and btw - Economics IS hilariously easy! Half the year completed the full A2 in AS year. There's no coursework, the exams are short and the essay questions are formulaic and concise. By far the easiest subject offered at my school... There we go - my personal opinion spelled out for you. Enjoy! :wink:
Reply 78
malsi101
YES sorry..see edit.

Music tech is very hard actually, you need to be extremely knowledgeable in music combined with a good understanding of technology. It's also very time consuming, and a lot of work goes into it.
Yes, a lot of 'doss' students take it, but they are the ones who end up failing it.

The concept of 'soft' subjects really irritates me. They aren't necessarily 'easier' than the traditional subjects, they just require a different style of intellect, and usually a high level of creativity.
Understandably, Universities like O&C are going to require students with a certain 'type' of intelligence, with a certain way of thinking, but by branding these subjects 'soft', is just highly insulting, when I know a lot of hard work goes into them.

I mean if all drama students began calling scientists thick there'd be an uprising! Both require intelligence, but different types. It annoys me that people have a one dimensional view of these subjects, because i'm sure if they attempted them they would fail miserably.

Sorry, rant over!
:smile:
Toffee_Kid
I've never heard of psychology being a soft subject! Where was I when this was announced??

Psychology needs a lot of effort - you have to remember case studies, conduct psychological experiments *effortttttttttttt and timmeeeeee* && then have that essay-writing knack. Well, for OCR anyway.

As far as I know it's just sociology that's known as soft.

conduct psychological experiments? no you don't, you just make up results and they believe you. That's how much of a joke psychology is. And you don't have to remember case studies and **** just remember the words ethics, inter rater reliability, validity and demand characteristics and they give you an A.....

Latest