Turn on thread page Beta

WTF Soft a-levels watch

ReputationRep:
    maths an science are easy subjects, you just either calculate a sum or find out results for an experiment, the answer is either right or wrong. In other subjects you have to evaluate, remember studies, have your OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

Dont like when its turned around do you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoe)
    maths an science are easy subjects, you just either calculate a sum or find out results for an experiment, the answer is either right or wrong. In other subjects you have to evaluate, remember studies, have your OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

Actually I agree, that is why i chose Maths & Science, they are easier for me :p:

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with some subjects being easier. I did Pe at Alevel along with Biology and Chemistry and Pe was alot easier, it took far less effort to get an A in than the other 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HereIstand)
    This sounds ridiculous surely an A in psychology looks just as good as one for biology or English language or something considered more traditional. These soft a-levels are really bugging me because I know if I take psychology and sociology and they aren't regarded as high by uni's i won't feel like putting in the work because I will be pissed it's not worth as much. Are these soft A-levels true. Can you get into oxbridge with these kinds of subjects if you get AAAA or maybe a star in there. This is really tearing me up as i don't know what to pick for my forth A-Level , please help rep for an answer that helps the most on offer.
    i dont think psychology is seen as a soft a level, sociology might be though, best plan phone up admissions at a range of colleges at oxbridge and ask them what they consider useful a levels out of what you are taking

most told me psy is fine, its things like media, art, drama ect- you can only have 1 of these types of subjects, ring them up

ReputationRep:

This is not true, Biology is a science and at A2 level it's all about ethics, making a balanced argument etc.. alot like an English paper.. so yea no yes or no answers or right or wrongs at A2, you get the marks for using the key words etc.. and it is not easy at all.

ReputationRep:
    Just because Cambridge, LSE etc say that they are soft subjects, it does not mean that you cannot take them. They are only TWO universities out of like 1,000,000,000,000 (exaggerating, but you get my point). It's only the opinion of the universities if they think a subject is 'soft' or not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be doing psychology, sociology and RE for a level.
    Psychology-I think I would like to be a psychologist, depending on how I like the a level, I'm not very good at maths which worries me. It also sounds very interessting. I don't know how the exams or coursework or anything is like though, I assume their is alot of essays?

Sociology- I would just like to know the stuff taught. I think the topics could be usefull in conversations. Again I don't know what the exams or coursework is like.

RE- Being a christian I love the subject. Enjoy it and therfore like to work hard at it. Got an A at GCSE. Not sure if the exam and coursework is similar to GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is ok, but not as good as biology or history. i believe any subject oxbridge offers at degree level is good enough and i do believe they offer "Physiological Sciences" (well oxford do anyway). German is a great subject though! i would recomend doing subjects like history, english or biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlo08)
    I do agree with some subjects being easier. I did Pe at Alevel alont with Biology and Chemistry and Pe was alot easier, it took far less effort to get an A in than the other 2.
    I wonder why...:p:

ReputationRep:
    wow 3 of my subjects are black listed ROFL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    Just because Cambridge, LSE etc say that they are soft subjects, it does not mean that you cannot take them. They are only TWO universities out of like 1,000,000,000,000 (exaggerating, but you get my point). It's only the opinion of the universities if they think a subject is 'soft' or not.
    Yes but as opinions go theirs are quite powerful ones. It rather goes without saying if your applying for South Bank there isnt a black list and the more competitive a uni the more they will care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesus-ninja)
    I'm going to be doing psychology, sociology and RE for a level.
    Psychology-I think I would like to be a psychologist, depending on how I like the a level, I'm not very good at maths which worries me. It also sounds very interessting. I don't know how the exams or coursework or anything is like though, I assume their is alot of essays?

Sociology- I would just like to know the stuff taught. I think the topics could be usefull in conversations. Again I don't know what the exams or coursework is like.
    RE- Being a christian I love the subject. Enjoy it and therfore like to work hard at it. Got an A at GCSE. Not sure if the exam and coursework is similar to GCSE.
    i was with OCR with sociology, so we had no coursework =]...your right about the convo's, especially drunken convo's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigears69)
    my chemistry a-level required me to learn mountains of stuff off by rote, but very little actual thought was involved.
    Seconded, you practically have to eat a revision guide ten times over

ReputationRep:
    You can't give us rep.

So don't try and bribe us with things you cannot offer.

And why would you get pissed if they are easy? I think you mean pissed off....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin2K8)
    Well these are the 'less effective' A Levels if you have more than 1 out of the 3 A2's listed on the Cambridge website:

* Accounting
    * Art and Design (see also Architecture)
    * Business Studies (see also Economics)
    * Communication Studies
    * Dance
    * Design and Technology (see also Engineering)
    * Drama/Theatre Studies
    * Film Studies
    * Health and Social Care
    * Home Economics
    * Information and Communication Technology
    * Leisure Studies
    * Media Studies
    * Music Technology
    * Performance Studies
    * Performing Arts
    * Photography
    * Physical Education
    * Sports Studies
    * Travel and Tourism

LSE has an official list too and a lot of uni's might have unofficial ones. But it depends on the combination.
    And note that English Language, RS, Psychology, Sociology, Music and Politics (which have all been denoted "soft" at some time or other) are NOT on this list Apparantly, there is a specific definition of what is a soft subject; and the defining lines are constantly being blurred by ignorant people.

(Original post by Hedgehunter)
    I disagree partly because if you were going for engineering at a top Uni, I doubt they would object to Design and Technology as long as they had Maths and Physics. Therefore I think it does depend on what you want to do. Though more than two from that list, as you said, would be foolhardy.

Edit: Sorry thats kinda what you were saying :o:
    Its fine its good to know that people actually take time to read through threads, rather than browsing and adding a random comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucho22)
    History
    Why do people keep saying History on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdhey89)
    Why do people keep saying History on this thread?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree for maths and physics, those two are piss easy, so I'm glad they're well respected .

But Chemistry, you don't do well in that by doing the minimum.

I think it's easier to get AA in Maths and Physics than an A in Psychology or Politics, but then again learning a load of meaningless crap word for word couldn't inspire anyone, employers and universities included.

ReputationRep:

But it's easier to have your own opinion than to do difficult calculations which require a lot of effort to remember in the first place...

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.