KhloeLu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi I’m predicted a 7 or 8 in gcse Spanish and really enjoy it.I will be picking it for year 12 can anyone give me the any tips on things they wished they knew before they started or any other advice.
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I can help! This is what I would suggest to prep this summer so you’re ready for Spanish in Year 12:

1. Download the A-level specification so you can familiarise yourself with the themes that you're going to be studying on your exam board. It's a good idea to think about these topics because you need to be able to develop your own ideas and justify opinions on issues such as culture, tourism, social issues, equality, education, employment etc.

2. Also have a look at the sample exam paper so that you know the style and format of the questions that you will be examined on. This gives you an idea of a benchmark, what you need to be aiming for essentially. You can also do the same for past exam papers, it's a good idea (especially with languages) to listen to the listening exam questions because you'll find there is a fair bit of a jump between GCSE and AS-level (I don't mean to scare you lol).

3. Ask your teacher for the reading list, ie, the film or text that you'll be studying in the first year. Order the book or watch the film (it's also a good idea to get the film version of the book if there is one) and look out for these things: themes (political, social, historical contexts), character analysis, relationships between characters, symbolism, stylistic techniques (if it's a film, you need to pay attention to lighting, camera angles, sound etc). Google or buy study guides and critiques and take a look at some of the past essay writing exam questions see you know what's coming ahead.

4. Start getting into a routine of reading, listening and watching the news. I suggest my students scanned the headlines of newspapers such as BBC El Mundo and El País so that they are comfortable with not only the grammar and vocab but also current affairs. You can subscribe to newsletters or download the app and get notifications. BBC El Mundo is the standard of Spanish you're aiming for with A level.

DM if you need more help, I’m helping my other students with exactly this right now!
KhloeLu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by MyLanguageLab)
I can help! This is what I would suggest to prep this summer so you’re ready for Spanish in Year 12:

1. Download the A-level specification so you can familiarise yourself with the themes that you're going to be studying on your exam board. It's a good idea to think about these topics because you need to be able to develop your own ideas and justify opinions on issues such as culture, tourism, social issues, equality, education, employment etc.

2. Also have a look at the sample exam paper so that you know the style and format of the questions that you will be examined on. This gives you an idea of a benchmark, what you need to be aiming for essentially. You can also do the same for past exam papers, it's a good idea (especially with languages) to listen to the listening exam questions because you'll find there is a fair bit of a jump between GCSE and AS-level (I don't mean to scare you lol).

3. Ask your teacher for the reading list, ie, the film or text that you'll be studying in the first year. Order the book or watch the film (it's also a good idea to get the film version of the book if there is one) and look out for these things: themes (political, social, historical contexts), character analysis, relationships between characters, symbolism, stylistic techniques (if it's a film, you need to pay attention to lighting, camera angles, sound etc). Google or buy study guides and critiques and take a look at some of the past essay writing exam questions see you know what's coming ahead.

4. Start getting into a routine of reading, listening and watching the news. I suggest my students scanned the headlines of newspapers such as BBC El Mundo and El País so that they are comfortable with not only the grammar and vocab but also current affairs. You can subscribe to newsletters or download the app and get notifications. BBC El Mundo is the standard of Spanish you're aiming for with A level.

DM if you need more help, I’m helping my other students with exactly this right now!
Thank you so much !!!!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Start learning the vocab ASAP, and aim to learn as much of it as possible - 99% of the words in the exam will be in the textbook somewhere, even if it's just once! If you do AQA, there will be yellow boxes with vocab in on the textbook pages and (in my experience with French, at least) a lot of the exam vocab is in there, so it's worth taking note of and adding to Quizlet as well as the set vocab lists at the ends of each chapter.

Find a podcast that you enjoy in Spanish, and listen to it even if it's above your level. I listened to Les Grosses Tetes for French, and it really, really helped my listening because I got used to picking out the words I knew from passages which were much faster and much more complicated from the A level listening passages. Listen to this at least once a week, if you can

Talk to your teachers in Spanish whenever you can - speaking practice lessons are only every so often, so it will really help if you have casual conversations with your teachers every so often as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (45)
13.85%
Virtual campus tours/open days (71)
21.85%
Live streaming events (30)
9.23%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (34)
10.46%
A uni comparison tool (75)
23.08%
An in-person event when available (70)
21.54%