The Student Room Group

can i learn java in a week?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MalcolmX
i've been programming Java for 8 years and i still would not consider myself an expert.

can you learn it in a week? hell no.

Indeed, the basics can't even be learned in a week let alone the entire language.
Original post by --Student
What kind of engineering? It's a vast field of which some do not require you to go that in-depth in terms of programming.

Python is generally a good start for any aspiring engineer

I have no idea what field tbh

I already know some python cuz I've done an AS in comp sci.
Do u recommend i carry on perfecting python or learn Java?
Original post by vix.xvi

If you don't master the basics how will you master the advanced ? Thats the mindset im going in with at least. Btw I only started programming in March but am really enjoying it !!
Original post by vix.xvi

Most programming languages are cross-compatible in terms of logic and structure, it's just the syntax and compilation that differs for the most part.

I would stick with Python and learn as much as you can. Unless you want to start creating your own projects and those projects require you to use a different language, or you join a course that requires you to learn a different language, there's not much point changing.

Once you learn one language to a certain degree, you'll be able to learn the others quite quickly. Just understand that you can never really 'master' a programming language, only become proficient in it.
Other than the people who’ve derailed the thread, thank you!
Original post by MalcolmX
i've been programming Java for 8 years and i still would not consider myself an expert.

can you learn it in a week? hell no.

There’s some courses on like EDX where you can learn the basics of java in a week if you 10 hours everyday
Programming really isn't about knowing languages. It's knowing how they generally behave so you can ask google and Stack Exchange the right questions. Therefore, to "learn Java" you would really be exploring how object oriented languages work and behave.

If you're hoping to come out with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the language, no. If you're hoping to come out with a good understanding of how it behaves, and the toolkit to ask the right questions, yea.
Original post by Anonymous
There’s some courses on like EDX where you can learn the basics of java in a week if you 10 hours everyday

depends on how they define 'basics.' you may be able to learn the basics of program constructs (if statemenets, loops, classes, interfaces etc) in a week but it will take much longer until you have synthesized the knowledge such that you are able to do anything useful with your new knowledge. do some leetcode easy questions after you have done the basics of java course.
Original post by lhh2003
:colonhash: there's always one

he has a point. programming is like learning an instrument; the earlier you start the better (not to say you can't learn when older, ofc you can.) martha argerich started learning the piano when she was merely 5 years old, now she is 79 and considered one of the best piano players to have lived.
BUMp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending