The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Covid impacts on your course (for current students)

hey,
Was wondering how Covid has impacted current students at Southampton for each course?
My course has been affected - as has my dissertation. I have been quite lucky in the sense that my lecturers did an okay job in putting stuff online. The only massive impacts it has on my degree was .... unable to do fieldwork over the Easter break (inc. going scuba diving to gain a qualification) and my dissertation was super ruined as my dissertation was lab-based and I was the only one researching the topic, so have had to try and adapt to that. all in all, I've had a middling experience - not the worst not the best.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by oliviamkc
My course has been affected - as has my dissertation. I have been quite lucky in the sense that my lecturers did an okay job in putting stuff online. The only massive impacts it has on my degree was .... unable to do fieldwork over the Easter break (inc. going scuba diving to gain a qualification) and my dissertation was super ruined as my dissertation was lab-based and I was the only one researching the topic, so have had to try and adapt to that. all in all, I've had a middling experience - not the worst not the best.

Ah I see, thats a real shame how are you finding the no detriment policy. (Im guessing your final year right)?
Original post by bingbong9214
Ah I see, thats a real shame how are you finding the no detriment policy. (Im guessing your final year right)?

okay, yh it messed me around a bit but all in all, it worked out ok for me. I mean I worked hard during first semester so finish this year, w. a good mark. & no, alas I’m on an integrated masters course - so have another year! 😫
okay, yh it messed me around a bit but all in all, it worked out ok for me. I mean I worked hard during first semester so finish this year, w. a good mark. & no, alas I’m on an integrated masters course - so have another year! 😫

Yeah same, how many modules did you have in your 1st semster, I only had 3/8 I did well in those but the rest of my modules were effectively waste unfortunately:frown:
It hasn't affected me much tbh, my course (English) can easily be studied from home anyway :smile:
Reply 6
We've still had the required lectures for first-year Electronic Engineering, and the quality of the lectures hasn't deteriorated due to Covid-19 restrictions, but because it's a heavily practical course it's disappointing that we've missed out on quite a few labs due to social distancing. It is what it is, and we'll have to make the most of it of course.
As a Chemistry student, other than labs being closed 2 weeks earlier, haven't been affected negatively. A few changes have happened, sure.
Exams were moved to coursework. My dissertation viva was cancelled.
But I was very fortunate to have finished my lab work in advance of the closure and been able to be in a location where I could do the dissertation and coursework!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
As a Chemistry student, other than labs being closed 2 weeks earlier, haven't been affected negatively. A few changes have happened, sure.
Exams were moved to coursework. My dissertation viva was cancelled.
But I was very fortunate to have finished my lab work in advance of the closure and been able to be in a location where I could do the dissertation and coursework!

Oh wow this is interesting and good to see that other facilities dealt with It relatively well! Even if my lab closure ... not in chemistry ..: meant my dissertation is now in supplementary period (tho my faculty has dealt with my situation well. (cant wait to see results & spec cons decisions tomorrow 😂)
Oh wow this is interesting and good to see that other facilities dealt with It relatively well! Even if my lab closure ... not in chemistry ..: meant my dissertation is now in supplementary period (tho my faculty has dealt with my situation well. (cant wait to see results & spec cons decisions tomorrow 😂)

:penguinhug:
How did you all do for your final results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending