girlysirly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hiiiii, so soon I will be going to uni to live in halls and I need advice from other muslims as I am muslim like will I make friends in my halls even though majority are white ? is their pressure to drink? and also will halls be mixed please answer the questions and give advice thxxxx.
Nautilus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by girlysirly)
hiiiii, so soon I will be going to uni to live in halls and I need advice from other muslims as I am muslim like will I make friends in my halls even though majority are white ? is their pressure to drink? and also will halls be mixed please answer the questions and give advice thxxxx.
A lot of muslims go to university and make friends with people of all kinds - muslims, atheists, drinkers, non drinkers etc. Some muslims do drink, in my experience (sorry), but most do not.

Yes, halls are mixed. There were 4 boys and 4 girls in my flat. If you want single sex halls you have to specify that you do.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't know which uni you will be going to but some unis have more a multi-cultural mix of students than others; usually, the unis in the big cities. Thus, you will find lots of Muslims in Aston Uni but few in Suffolk Uni. I am assuming you have researched into all this before applying to go to uni? Hence the open days really help one get a feel for the uni. My point being, that if you have picked a uni which is multi-cultural you will find more tolerance being shown towards different ethnic minority groups; Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs etc.

There will be drugs and alcohol at any uni but you will not be pressurised into drinking, smoking or taking drugs. Just avoid the people who are partaking. In order to mix, I would often have non-alcoholic larger or wine and no one was the wiser. Just a suggestion.

As an aside, a couple of tips
- never accept a drink from anyone unless you have seen the drink being dispensed from the bar and its journey to your hand; some people may spike your drink with alcohol or drugs.
- If you put your drink down to dance then do not drink it again; someone may have spiked your drink whilst you were doing your thang on the dance floor.

It happened to a friend of mine in London. A girl had been given a free drink, she took a sip, felt something was off. My friend, never one to refuse a free drink, finished off the drink and ended up drugged up and out of it. He had his phone and wallet knicked. I think the perpetrator was after more from the girl who had been offered the drink in the first instance.
girlysirly
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
I don't know which uni you will be going to but some unis have more a multi-cultural mix of students than others; usually, the unis in the big cities. Thus, you will find lots of Muslims in Aston Uni but few in Suffolk Uni. I am assuming you have researched into all this before applying to go to uni? Hence the open days really help one get a feel for the uni. My point being, that if you have picked a uni which is multi-cultural you will find more tolerance being shown towards different ethnic minority groups; Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs etc.

There will be drugs and alcohol at any uni but you will not be pressurised into drinking, smoking or taking drugs. Just avoid the people who are partaking. In order to mix, I would often have non-alcoholic larger or wine and no one was the wiser. Just a suggestion.

As an aside, a couple of tips
- never accept a drink from anyone unless you have seen the drink being dispensed from the bar and its journey to your hand; some people may spike your drink with alcohol or drugs.
- If you put your drink down to dance then do not drink it again; someone may have spiked your drink whilst you were doing your thang on the dance floor.

It happened to a friend of mine in London. A girl had been given a free drink, she took a sip, felt something was off. My friend, never one to refuse a free drink, finished off the drink and ended up drugged up and out of it. He had his phone and wallet knicked. I think the perpetrator was after more from the girl who had been offered the drink in the first instance.
oh, thx. I am thinking about London uni. qmul.
girlysirly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nautilus)
A lot of muslims go to university and make friends with people of all kinds - muslims, atheists, drinkers, non drinkers etc. Some muslims do drink, in my experience (sorry), but most do not.

Yes, halls are mixed. There were 4 boys and 4 girls in my flat. If you want single sex halls you have to specify that you do.
ty so much
Everyone matters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m going to QMUL in September. From what I gather it is very multicultural.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there!

Aston is a very diverse campus with a range of different faiths so you are bound to make friends who share your beliefs!

There are lots of fun events at Aston where you don’t need to drink so don’t worry about that.

I would also recommend having a look at Aston Islamic society as they hold lots of great events.

- Poppy
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes he went to QMUL but was at a party organised by the Imperial students when this 'drug in a drink' incident happened.
girlysirly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nautilus)

hey are u female ?
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I live near London it's really multicultural and will definitely have options such as single sex halls
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
QMUL has single sex accommodation options if you specify (as in the flat can be female-only but the building will have other rooms/flats with males) - at least for the Whitechapel campus. And first years are guaranteed a room if you’ve indicated you’d like one on the application.

As for the campus, it’s very multicultural as East London generally is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (133)
14.76%
I'm not sure (40)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (272)
30.19%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (434)
48.17%

Watched Threads