England, next Euros

Watch
RaA64
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Cheesybread)
England are 2nd/favorites to win the tournament, given there strength they should at the very least expect to get 2nd
Agreed - who remembers when we didn’t qualify for the Euros in 2008?
Quarters will be a disappointment - semis will be meh, the final is where we belong considering home advantage in the latter two stages.
We have a few world class players too - Kane, Sterling and TAA, and a world class leader in Hendo. The tournament experience we got from 2018 plus a lot more depth will help us for 2021!
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by RaA64)
We’re favourites to win the Euros - if we don’t get to the semis I’ll be so shocked I’ll kill myself.
There’s only 1 European team better than us - France. We’re better than the rest.

England are always far overpriced in the betting markets in England though. Even the world cups where there’s no chance of them winning you’ll see England in the top 3 in the betting odds. :laugh:

This crop of young players coming through the academies in England at the minute is the best for decades though!
RaA64
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
England are always far overpriced in the betting markets in England though. Even the world cups where there’s no chance of them winning you’ll see England in the top 3 in the betting odds. :laugh:

This crop of young players coming through the academies in England at the minute is the best for decades though!
For the World Cup we’re the 5th favourites if I remember correctly.

My only worry is that Southgate will pick the wrong players and get his team selection wrong.
Do we go 4 or 5 at the back?🤔
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by RaA64)
For the World Cup we’re the 5th favourites if I remember correctly.

My only worry is that Southgate will pick the wrong players and get his team selection wrong.
Do we go 4 or 5 at the back?🤔
I think he needs to vary the formation and tactics based on how the opposition play especially in the later rounds against tougher teams. That was the big problem at the World Cup, everyone could see playing 3-5-2 against a Croatia side with 2 banks of 4 was a dreadful idea but he stuck with what worked expecting it to work again when it clearly wouldn’t.

Southgate is great at building the team atmosphere and motivating the players though, I think he badly needs to get a strong back room staff with better tactical knowledge to go all the way and start winning trophies though! 🤷🏼*♂️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.33%
Receiving them online / by email (288)
50.26%
I still don't know (94)
16.4%

Watched Threads