Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you think there are green men out there?

Debate.

ReputationRep:
    I think there has to be another form of life in the universe. Not too sure about little green men though.

ReputationRep:
    They're with you right now... what else did you think TSR was ? (tall silver romulans)

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Gemma_08

ReputationRep:
    Well..you never know.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't plenty of life spread out across the universe. I'm doubtful, however, that we're likely to be close to our nearest 'neighbours' though; the universe itself is very spread out.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Oswy: the probability of some form of organic life existing somewhere in the Universe is probably more likely than it not existing. However, I seriously doubt that these life-forms have evolved beyond single cellular or at least very basic organisms in many cases. The impossibility of Faster Than Light travel, according to special relativity at least, would also hamper the possibility of any intelligent organism visiting earth.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be highly ridiculous to say there isn't another life form even in the universe, even if we don't know for sure. And as for visiting aliens/UFOs, although unlikely I still really wouldn't be surprised if they had.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is alien life, but not 'little green men'. My Physics teacher in Year 9 proposed to me that, if life were to exist elsewhere, the level of evolution would be so vastly different that they either seemed like bacteria to us, or we did to them.
    That's what I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is more likely that there are other organic life forms 'out there' than not. I think it is fairly likely that there are other sentient, sapient life forms. I think there may even be other life forms that have developed some form of space travel (even if it is just visiting their local moon)

Why not? We managed it.

ReputationRep:
    couldnt we just gather up 5 million people and raid area 51? Would they honestly shoot down 5 million people? Or at least try and invent something that would be able to sneak into area 51 without getting detected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I think there may even be other life forms that have developed some form of space travel (even if it is just visiting their local moon)
    Making it sound like a walk to the local corner shop, love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington)
    couldnt we just gather up 5 million people and raid area 51? Would they honestly shoot down 5 million people? Or at least try and invent something that would be able to sneak into area 51 without getting detected?
    there was a british guy who hacked into the CIA's computers and said that he found images of space that had been edited to hide certain things we're not meant to see and that there were videos of ufo's. Needless to say he got caught and is in prison for years and years. But in interviews on the news he said there is definate evidence of other lifeforms and that they do visit earth.

I suppose we'll never really know until one crashlands in the middle of london or something :woo:

edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/4977134.stm theres the link to the guy who was arrested and it contains a really interesting interview.

ReputationRep:
    The Universe is so big that it would be weird if Earth was the only planet with living organisms..
    But now it all seems too surreal to me, so I guess I don't really believe in aliens and UFO's until I have seen them with my own eyes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I believe that there is alien life, but not 'little green men'. My Physics teacher in Year 9 proposed to me that, if life were to exist elsewhere, the level of evolution would be so vastly different that they either seemed like bacteria to us, or we did to them.
    That's what I believe.
    That's precisely why the common mythology of "men from Mars", as a life-form physiologically recognisable to humans, seems like wishful thinking. Evolution occurs not only under random mutation, but adapts an organism to its environment. In an environment with a wholly different atmosphere, different selective pressures might shape that organism in such a way that, despite being sentient, space travel could be impossible; of course, whether the organic base of that organism would follow the nucleic, protein and water structure that we know as common to all known life-forms, it's impossible to say. We're limited by the difficulty of life to exist even on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the view that the chances of there being no life elsewhere in the galaxy as being extremely small. As to whether there's little green men running around but it's all 'hushed up' I'm pretty sceptical. Apart from anything else, I can't see any particular reason to keep it quiet - previously there may have been an element of preventing panic (a la War of the Worlds on the radio!) but I can't see any reason to keep it quiet 5/10/50 years down the line. There are many other more plausible explanations, such as military testing - which would be kept under wraps.

ReputationRep:
    There has to be; the Universe is so big, with many many galaxies, which each have many many planets, the probability of us being the only ones out there is too low. They might not look like the green men we imagine, but they could. I mean someone imagined them when they were conceived (you know, those green men drawings with wonky heads), so someone must have seen one like that to draw it :ninja:

And haven't any of you read Animorphs? The aliens come and give humans super powers! They are real.

ReputationRep:
    sure there's life on other planets, but they're not gonna get a big flashing green spaceship and take over earth

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that there is no way we will ever find out about alien existence and alien technology until we know how to combat it.

Imagine the technology was leaked into the wrong hands. It could be the end of the world for all we know. So I think its a good idea that area 51 does exist.

ReputationRep:
    Well, see it like this. Most stars have a solar system like ours, rocks forced into orbit by it's strong gravity thus creating planets. The number of stars in the universe is roughly 10 thousand, billion, billion (look it up if you fail to believe). Now I won't jump to the conclusion that each of these stars has as many planets as ours, or any planets at all but it's fair to say theres one hell of alot planets out there.

Now to assume out of all these billion, billion, billion planets ONLY OURS contains life is one of the silliest odds possible. It's like winning the lottery 100 times in the row then being struck by lightning 100 times in the SAME SPOT. It's not even just 'likely' there is life, it's VERY likely. And the myth that this life is still single cellular is silly, and speciest to us. I believe there is no way we are the most advanced beings out there, that is just very biased and self-justifying. Many planets out there probably have a similar atmosphere as Earth, and let's not forget these planets might have access to materials and chemicals we don't have thus resulting in much greater technology.

The sad fact is our nearest neighbouring star is light years ahead, and Einstein concluded it was impossible to travel at the speed of light or beyond it, thus it will be highly unlikely we will make contact with it, making us seem quite isolated.

I do have my little theory about the whole Egyptian period though. The pyramids, the alters, the sudden sacrifice craze. They worshipped drawn Gods, which could of been beings who reached us and colonized us. The great pyramid can be used for so many amazing calculations that there is no way the Egyptians could of done it, and the chance of a coincidence is bull. Look it up. Maybe these creatures came, colonized these people and left them, spawning religion. The mayans disappeared out the blue and the other cizilations remained, worshipping these 'Gods' and eventually spawning what is modern-day religion.

Also rememeber, an interesting aspect of Physics is that the rules of physics in our galaxy might not be the same as those across the other side. Light might travel differently, gravity might act differently. Heck they might be able to transport. Wormholes will play a big part if the humans survive another couple thousand years. Though with the state of religion at the moment, I doubt our race will make 500 years, due to factors such as war (nuclear weapons can destroy countries) or man-made/natural diseases that will overtake us.

sigh...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.