The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day 2020 Countdown Thread - IT'S HERE!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 学生の父
Yep.

How did you get on today?

Amazing thank you! Got 7 9s, 2 8s, an A* and a merit(btec results not yet confirmed)
Did anyone living in Bow in london or towerhamlets get lower than expected or is it just me
I got a 9,a 8, two 7s, two 5s and science 6-5 despite never getting below a 6-6 grade in any of mocks or on my teacher reports. therefore wasn’t allowed into my sixth form for my original offer of physics chemistry and biology- they say they’re looking into but i’m doubtful :frown:
Is anyone slightly worried that the high percentage of 9-7 means that there will be really high places for uni ? With the amount of ppl getting straight 9s, isn’t 9s and 8s gonna become worthless ?
Was really unhappy with my science grades
disgusted at my results frankly lmao no sixth form place for me never been more upset in my life xx
Original post by Unknownx12
Is anyone slightly worried that the high percentage of 9-7 means that there will be really high places for uni ? With the amount of ppl getting straight 9s, isn’t 9s and 8s gonna become worthless ?

gcses aren't the only things they look at, a level grades are more important
Original post by Unknownx12

I suppose both options for the gov. had flaws one would punish high achievers in traditionally lower achieving/improving schools, while the other would devalue higher grades.
Original post by 15skbutt
Was really unhappy with my science grades

same. rest of my results were what i expected or higher but i’m in top set science and was given 6-5 when i’ve got 9-9 and 6-6s in all my mocks and was predicted 6-6 in my report right before lock down ..
Original post by cloudylemonade30
same. rest of my results were what i expected or higher but i’m in top set science and was given 6-5 when i’ve got 9-9 and 6-6s in all my mocks and was predicted 6-6 in my report right before lock down ..

Omg this happened to me i was predicted 7-7 but got 6-6 something defo going on in the science Department
Original post by 0325future
Omg this happened to me i was predicted 7-7 but got 6-6 something defo going on in the science Department

Definitely- the inconsistencies are so shocking it’s disgusting. Not sure if it’s anything to do with it but I was doing the AQA trilogy combined course
Original post by cloudylemonade30
Definitely- the inconsistencies are so shocking it’s disgusting. Not sure if it’s anything to do with it but I was doing the AQA trilogy combined course

Same me too and it wasn't only me who got lower than predicted in Science most students in my school was. Could it be because of the area i live in being a poor borough or what
Unprecedented levels of grade inflation because of teachers overstating results and a fifth still think they should have been given better grades XD

God help these people when they actually have to sit exams and find out how wrong their teachers are.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Unprecedented levels of grade inflation because of teachers overstating results and a fifth still think they should have been given better grades XD

God help these people when they actually have to sit exams and find out how wrong their teachers are.

Definitely a white middle class/upper class person who doesn't understand The fact that a lot of students have not been given accurate grades even when teachers have given others overstating results. Especially in poorer boroughs but u lot will do whatever you can to justify yourselves so u stay rich and the poor stay poor GTFO :wink:
Original post by 0325future
Definitely a white middle class/upper class person who doesn't understand The fact that a lot of students have not been given accurate grades even when teachers have given others overstating results. Especially in poorer boroughs but u lot will do whatever you can to justify yourselves so u stay rich and the poor stay poor GTFO :wink:

No, such massive increases in grades are perfectly natural, not my fault that some people can't accept they aren't quite as able as they want to think they are :rolleyes:
I didn’t manage to make it into brampton and i’m so heartbroken :frown:
(ik it may sound annoying but i’m so low and still shaken after everything)
Guys, most if not all year 11s are aware that their grades have been inflated, but people were still let down and could’ve done better. People can go from 3s to 9s and 4s to 5s in the space of a few months. That’s common knowledge. Most people are happy, some are definitely not.

Getting our ‘over predicted grades’ doesn’t mean we believe we wholeheartedly deserve our grades nor that we’re ‘better’ than the previous or following years. We know we got let off lucky and didn’t have to endure the hardest part of year 11 revision time: April to June. We’re just grateful that it worked out for us somehow 🤷🏻*♂️

Lets keep politics out of this, at this point somehow the government managed to come to the better decision of the two by going with predicted grades. The standardisation algorithm was flawed and biased and we saw that; so did they. This was the BEST thing they could have gone with from a multitude of ineffective methods.

I’m still completely annoyed by the fact that it took so long to figure out and the situation was extremely mishandled. We were getting told all sorts of stuff. But so what? It’s all finished now and the stress is fading.

So lets try not to argueeeee
(edited 3 years ago)
Subject:-------------My GCSE result prediction:-----------------My actual GCSE result:
Maths-------------------------7-----------------------------------------------------8
English lit--------------------7-----------------------------------------------------8
English lang----------------7-----------------------------------------------------9
Combined science-------8-7 or 8-8------------------------------------------9-8
French----------------------4 or 5------------------------------------------------5
History-----------------------7, 8 if lucky---------------------------------------8
RE----------------------------7 or 8-----------------------------------------------8
Media studies----------no clue- could be a 5,could be a 7-------------8
Psychology-------------no clue- could be a 5,could be a 7--------------7
Art----------------------------7 or 8-----------------------------------------------8

Needless to say, I was over the moon and wow do I have low expectations of myself haha
Hope yall got what you wanted!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kamisoto
I didn’t manage to make it into brampton and i’m so heartbroken :frown:
(ik it may sound annoying but i’m so low and still shaken after everything)

Brampton was so oversubscribed I feel you 😔 big let down for so many students
Grades usually fluctuate about 1 or 2%, these percentages are large when you consider thousands of students sit GCSEs. 10% is a huge increase but this isn't really a topic for this thread. If people want to debate this they can do so in educational debate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest